What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 20, 2019, 11:59:41 AM
I have this recording somewhere. It's been quite some time since I've listened to any of Hahn's music. I know our friend, Rafael (ritter), likes Hahn's music, so it'd be nice to know what works he likes and perhaps suggestions on what would be a good work to ease into this composer's sound-world?
Sorry I haven't replied earlier, but I'm away for business in Germany.

Can't elaborate now, but you'll find some if my thoughts on Hahn (as well as those of other fellow GMGers who enjoy his music) here.

I'm particularly fond of the Piano Quartet No. 3 (there's not any other piano quarters by Hahn Nos. 1 & 2 being string quartets). This CD is recommendable IMHO:

[asin]B079B2ZDRS[/asin]

Karl Henning

Shostakovich
Symphony #11
Phila
Jansons
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 21, 2019, 01:00:03 PM
I'm torn between your reaction ("neo-classical") and Vandermolen's ("powerful and brooding"), though leaning towards Jeffrey's. In any case, I enjoyed it; an attractive piece of music (in the sense that it pulled me in) that fits my mood this evening.

Sarge
Am pleased that you enjoyed it Sarge.
I love the opening which, according to Wiren's wife, reminded her of a storm approaching.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

San Antone

String Quartet no. 2 in F, op. 41 no. 2

Very warm ensemble playing and acoustic, IOW, perfect.

SymphonicAddict

A superb compilation of works (Der Geburtstag der Infantin, Valse lente, Festwalzer und Walzerintermezzo, Der Wind and Ein Tanzspiel). The strong dishes are Der Geburtstag and Ein Tanzspiel. The latter one is especially delightful: baroque dances/airs in a late-romantic fashion. Fantastic music.

JBS

Among the CDs that landed today, I picked this for a first listen

So far, solid craftmanship in the late Romantic (post Brahms, pre Bruckner) tradition. Suites were composed (in order of the CD, which is the reverse of the listing on the cover) 1931-35, 1916-21, and 1882.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

San Antone

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on March 21, 2019, 02:40:19 PM
Sorry I haven't replied earlier, but I'm away for business in Germany.

Can't elaborate now, but you'll find some if my thoughts on Hahn (as well as those of other fellow GMGers who enjoy his music) here.

I'm particularly fond of the Piano Quartet No. 3 (there's not any other piano quarters by Hahn Nos. 1 & 2 being string quartets). This CD is recommendable IMHO:

[asin]B079B2ZDRS[/asin]

No worries, Rafael. Thanks for the feedback. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 21, 2019, 03:06:32 PM
Shostakovich
Symphony #11
Phila
Jansons

Devastating symphony, Karl. Great stuff! It seems the older I get, the more I prefer the Soviet performances of Shostakovich compared to the Western ones. My best recollection is that Kondrashin smoked this symphony. Rozhdestvensky is also very fine. Of the Westerners, Haitink is still tough to beat in The Year 1905.

Mirror Image

Continuing on from last night:

Prokofiev
Cinderella, Op. 87
Gennady Rozhdestvensky, conductor
USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra

Ken B

Carl Reinecke
Various chamber bits:
Fantasy pieces for clarinet and piano op 22
Trio Clarinet, Horn Piano op 274
Sextet op 271

Hungaroton recording

Recommended to Schumann fans or Dvorak fans

André

Symphonies 1 and 6.

The first has been a firm favourite for many years. The 6th is quite the "Lone Ranger(*)" among Nielsen's symphonies, because of its resolutely different cast, ideas and instrumentation (foretelling Vaughan Williams 8 ?), but also because it brings to mind associations with child plays.

I find the performances superb and, at any rate, entirely idiomatic.

(*) makes me think of the movie Night at the Museum.

JBS

Last CD of this set
[asin]B003UW6WE8[/asin]
Highly recommended

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Szymanowski
Twenty Mazurkas, Op. 50
Marc-André Hamelin, piano

Mirror Image

I had to stop the Szymanowski. I love his chamber, choral, orchestral music, and the opera King Roger, but his works for solo piano have been hugely disappointing for me as all the pieces I've heard seem like pianistic effects with no kind of narrative being told and there's just no heart in the music, IMHO.

Fauré
String Quartet in E minor, Op. 121
Quatuor Ebène

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2019, 07:51:58 PM
I had to stop the Szymanowski. I love his chamber, choral, orchestral music, and the opera King Roger, but his works for solo piano have been hugely disappointing for me as all the pieces I've heard seem like pianistic effects with no kind of narrative being told and there's just no heart in the music, IMHO.

Hahahahahaha! Can't help to laugh because I felt the same way about these works when I heard it. Even after listening twice I felt the same.

However I love most of his other piano works.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Ken B

Quote from: springrite on March 21, 2019, 09:40:00 PM
Hahahahahaha! Can't help to laugh because I felt the same way about these works when I heard it. Even after listening twice I felt the same.

Don't explain. Laughing at John is its own reward.  :D :P :laugh:

Que

Morning listening - last of the musical souvenirs from Lisbon:

Sonatas in "Galant style" played José Carlos Araújo on a lovely sounding Portuguese harpsichord, built in Lisbon by Joaquin José Antunes, 1758.

Q

Mandryka

Koroliov, a concert performance of the Diabelli Variations. I intend to make a study of this pianist. Here the tone is diamantine, and there's an energetic and musicular intensity, never brutal.

Has anyone heard his op 106 - 111 studio recordings? I'm wondering whether to take a punt.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini