Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 06, 2019, 09:48:16 AM
Grace Williams: Symphony 2
CD
Photo of young composer
LP release

Edit: That makes two of us!  :) Second edit: Make that three!!

I have the LP. I will thanks to your post listen this afternoon.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 06, 2019, 01:36:13 PM
Re, Irgens-Jensen' symphony:
I have the Fjeldstad version, but the CPO is more recent, methink. Both give the 'short version' of the work (2 movements, less than 30 minutes). Naxos offers a 3 movement, 44 minute version. I haven't read on the subject but I guess it must be like Atterberg's 2nd symphony. The composer wrote 2 movements but was persuaded to add a third one, which some (like me) consider inferior and superfluous. I'm intrigued by this Naxos offering.
Hi Andre. The CPO includes the third movement as a separate piece immediately after the Symphony. Apparently the original ending of the second (I think) movement has been only recently discovered after the recordings on CPO and Naxos had been released - all very confusing.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 06, 2019, 10:55:16 PM
Will play it today!  ;)
Excellent! I hope that you, Andre and Irons enjoy it as much as I do. Clearly shows the influence of her teacher VW (Symphony 4) but it is also a powerful, memorable and original work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

king ubu

A new one from Arcana, juxtaposing arias by Händel and Porpora, sung by Giuseppina Bridelli, a mezzo I'm so far not very familiar with, but she's good!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

André

Quote from: vandermolen on April 07, 2019, 01:20:41 AM
Hi Andre. The CPO includes the third movement as a separate piece immediately after the Symphony. Apparently the original ending of the second (I think) movement has been only recently discovered after the recordings on CPO and Naxos had been released - all very confusing.

Thanks for the info, Jeffrey! Between the Naxos and CPO I shall settle for the latter, as it contains other stuff as well (2 discs vs 1). :)

Iota

Ravel Valses nobles et sentimentales
Pogorelich (piano)

Excellent. Like sculpting in water.

rickardg

WA Mozart
Symphony No 40 in g Minor
Anima Eterna/Immerseel

[asin] B000092OSG[/asin]

Que

Quote from: rickardg on April 07, 2019, 05:08:41 AM
WA Mozart
Symphony No 40 in g Minor
Anima Eterna/Immerseel

Great set! :)

Listening now:

A couple of years ago, I had zero Telemann...

Now, his music regularly visits my CD player.  :)

Q

Todd

Quote from: Que on April 07, 2019, 05:13:52 AM

The world needs more high-grade Telemann recordings.  Maybe a complete edition.  Almost every time I spin something new to me, it exceeds expectations.

TD:

Barto's eccentric approach remains, but his immense ability pays handsome dividends on this mixed rep, common themed twofer.  He once again displays an ability to stretch some music out to ridiculously long timings and yet still deliver the goods.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Todd on April 07, 2019, 05:46:56 AM

TD:

Barto's eccentric approach remains, but his immense ability pays handsome dividends on this mixed rep, common themed twofer.  He once again displays an ability to stretch some music out to ridiculously long timings and yet still deliver the goods.

Thumbs up!

TD:

#morninglistening to #Bach's #StJohnPassion, first performed on this day in 1724. #EugenJochum on @deccaclassics w/@RCOamsterdam + @GrootOmroepKoor

: http://a-fwd.to/53jimZg

@Bach_JohannSeb @Baerenreiter. #ErnstHaefliger #WalterBerry

Biffo

Mahler: Symphony No 4 - Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Rafael Kubelik with Elsie Morison (soprano)

Mirror Image

First-Listen Sundays -

Enescu
Impressions d'enface, Suite, Op. 28 (Orch. Theodor Grigoriu)
Sherban Lupu, violin
Sinfonia da Camera
Ian Hobson, conductor

This sounds quite nice, but I definitely prefer the violin/piano original arrangement to this orchestral arrangement. Not that it isn't well-done, but when you hear the original, it just sounds closer to Enescu's heart. So this recording entitled Impressions has turned out to be a disappointment with the exception of the Chamber Symphony, which was well-performed, but so are the other performances I have in my collection of this work.

Que

.[asin]B07DY2HFG9[/asin]
Constantino Mastroprimiano plays a copy after Walter ca. 1790,
and the later pieces on an Érard "en forme de clavecin" from 1838.

A fitting and worthy sequel to Mastroprimiano's complete Clementi set!

Q

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

cilgwyn

Quote from: André on April 06, 2019, 05:00:33 PM

4th listening this week. Something I can't pinpoint makes me come back to this music. What I find fascinating - and slightly unnerving - is that the musical material is virtually devoid of emotion and yet, it pulls some heart strings by virtue of its sheer braininess. The composer prods and probes incessantly in quest of something that remains elusive. Listening to his symphonies is like watching an astronomical clock. Different things happen all at once and you keep noticing new details or patterns.

I have 'liked' No 3,ever since,I bought the original Lp (not this recording) as a youngster! The Fifth symphony is like some big cosmic machine,pulsing with energy;exploding into life,then slowly dying away into stillness,at the end. At least,that's how I remember it!! ::) ;D I still haven't quite,made up my mind about the other symphonies! :-\

rickardg

Great set! :)
Yes, isn't it?
Listening now:

Q

Telemann is one of those composers that have always been on my radar (I used to play the trumpet) but I still haven't really listened to.  Any suggestions for a starter kit?

TD

Earlier:

LvB
Piano Sonata no 28 in A major op 101
Penelope Crawford, fortepiano

Now:
[asin]B0000027YZ[/asin]
Mendelssohn
Octet
L'Archibudelli & Smithsonian Chamber Players

Christo

Grace Williams (1906-1977), Symphony No. 2 (1956):
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 07, 2019, 10:37:29 AM
Grace Williams (1906-1977), Symphony No. 2 (1956):

So, what do you think of it?
:)

Karl Henning

Zelenka
Missa Dei Filii & Litaniæ Lauretanæ

I've had this around (seemingly forever) but this may well be a first listen
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

rickardg

I just turned this off because i wasn't up to a passion tonight

Gottfried Heinrich Storylzel
Ein Lämmlein geht und trägt die Schuld
Purcell Choir/Orfeo Orchestra
György Vashegyi

But Stölzel (a contemporary of JS Bach) isn't as obscure as the booklet lets on, I've enjoyed his chamber sonatas with Les Amis de Philipe/Ludger Remy/Dorothee Mields (!) and Jan Kobow for years and can strongly recommend them.

[asin] B00006C74Q[/asin]
[asin] B000174LP2[/asin]