Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 12, 2019, 02:26:00 PM
Earlier:

Koechlin
La méditation de Purun-Bhagat, Op.159
Les heures persanes, Op.65 (version orchestrale
SWR Radio Symphony Stuttgart
Holliger

Twoof my very favorite Koechlin works;
And the Op.159 is a beautiful piece to do my therapy homework to.

Any ondes Martenot in those works?

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B07F5FYWYD[/asin]
The Antonio Castiglione (Casteliono) lute anthology, printed in Milan in 1536, is one of the most important documents of the period, testifying how relevant the use of this instrument became - the very first to be dedicated intavolatura - beginning the diffusion of music for domestic performance that would become the fortune of the main printers of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

Featured composers: Pietro Paolo Borrono, Francesco da Milano, Marco da Laquila and Alberto da Mantua.

Q

Kontrapunctus

Excellent playing (duh...) and great sound.

pjme

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 12, 2019, 09:09:12 PM
Any ondes Martenot in those works?

No - neither work has a part for ondes Martenot. La méditation has an obligato part for large organ, Les heures Persanes has  a vibraphone and (I could not find the orchestral score for Les heures Persanes) - apparently - a part for "harp-lute": developed by Gustave Lyon:
"...as in three movements of Les Heures persanes – the lute harp, a short-lived instrument constructed by Pleyel-Lyon whose sonority was more metallic than the harp. Perhaps Koechlin was here inspired by the sound of traditional African instruments such as the kora."
https://www.philharmonia.co.uk/paris/essays/44/les_heures_persanes_op_65bis

Jungle book has no ondes at all - in Les bandar logs he uses a "marteau" (a hammer, to be struck on a piece of wood).
P.

vandermolen

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on April 12, 2019, 01:28:29 PM
More vinyl goodness.

That Pettersson VC No.2 LP made a huge impact on me when it first appeared. One of the greatest VCs of all time IMO.

Thread duty:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Continuing to dabble in Schubert songs, slowly.

I only listened to 4 songs just now, but the pleasant surprise was the earliest of them An Emma (D113). A thoroughly charming song.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

cilgwyn

I'm not usually that mad about Brass band music;but this one is great!! Although,the last track (The Padstow Lifeboat) began skipping last night! :( Some light scratches visible. After a clean;I'm hoping it will work! The way the band get all the sonorities,humour and atmosphere of Arnold's music is quite brilliant and fun! Arnold conducts the last track,with the "insistent offkey foghorn (based on the real one at Trevose in Cornwall" (Quote from Gramophone review,which describes it as a stunning aural experience"!) I love the jolly artwork too! Perhaps I should add some more Brass Band music to my collection?! Oh,and I'll have to hear his Symphony for Brass Instruments,won't I?

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 13, 2019, 04:09:58 AM
I'm not usually that mad about Brass band music;but this one is great!! Although,the last track (The Padstow Lifeboat) began skipping last night! :( Some light scratches visible. After a clean;I'm hoping it will work! The way the band get all the sonorities,humour and atmosphere of Arnold's music is quite brilliant and fun! Arnold conducts the last track,with the "insistent offkey foghorn (based on the real one at Trevose in Cornwall" (Quote from Gramophone review,which describes it as a stunning aural experience"!) I love the jolly artwork too! Perhaps I should add some more Brass Band music to my collection?! Oh,and I'll have to hear his Symphony for Brass Instruments,won't I?

The Padstow Lifeboat is great fun.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on April 13, 2019, 04:15:33 AM
The Padstow Lifeboat is great fun.
Not when it's skipping,it isn't!! :( >:( ;D So far,so good.........wait.......YES,it just played to the end!! :) The whole cd is great,though! Some of the playing is quite thrilling! I love the whistling on one of the tracks! Superb! I wish my mother was still alive to hear this one. She liked Arnold. I remember my parents sitting down to watch a program about him,on BBC2,back in the eighties (or nineties?) expecting some jolly looking man;and being confronted,by,a close up,of this miserable,embittered face,wailing about the disdain of the musical establishment towards his achievement! Of course,my mother knew his music from the jollier,more upbeat works.

cilgwyn

And now,this! Can't wait to hear,the new Holbrooke cd,of his Symphony No 3 & other works,from Cpo (see,right!)!

Florestan

Last night:

Utterly charming, all of them, the third particularly so, especially in the second movement.

Symphony in A major

I didn't like this at all, I stopped it after a few bars into the second movement. Too much bombast.

Then KV 375 from this:

Bliss!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Earlier today, on radio in the car:

Beethoven - Triple Concerto, Carmignola, Gabetta, Lazic, Giovanni Antonini, Kammerorchester Basel

Great!

Boccherini - Symphony No. 26 in C Minor, Op. 41, G. 519, Akademie fuer Alte Musik Berlin

Sturm und Drang Boccherini --- blew me away!

Faure - Violin Sonata No. 1 op. 13, Perlman, Ax

That's music that gently takes the listener by the hand, voluptuously caresses him and eventually makes love to him --- as opposed to music that grips the listener by the throat, brutally shake him and eventually f$%^&s his a$$...  ;D

James Horner - Pas de deux (Concerto for Violin, Cello and Orchestra), Mari & Hakon something, Vasily Petrenko conducting some orchestra

If all music composed in 2014 sounded like this, I would be a huge fan of contemporary music.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Iota

Schnittke Piano Concerto
Ralf Gothoni (piano/director), Virtuosi di Kuhmo

Something like spending the night out in a rough neighbourhood. Not something I do much these days, which may explain why I like it so much. Plenty of poetry and diamonds in the rough of course, as with the real world example.

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: A London Symphony - Bryden Thomson conducting the London Symphony Orchestra - fine performance, beautifully played and recorded.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Debussy
Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Pierre Boulez, conductor
The Cleveland Orchestra

Que

Todd

Quote from: amw on April 13, 2019, 06:46:19 AM
Good, bad, mediocre?

A bit variable.  Love the last two suites.  MacGregor's touch in the fifth is at times quite playful and charming.  The first two suites kind of whiff for me, though for no easily identifiable reason.  The whole set is well worth hearing, I can say that.

Todd