What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on April 13, 2019, 04:22:09 PM
More astonishing playing from this young piano wizard. Excellent sound (A live recording).

By coincidence I listened to the sonata a few weeks ago, it really is original! I'm glad I know it exists.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Daverz

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 13, 2019, 07:22:43 PM
Finzi, Cello Concerto

[asin]B07FSGK3GJ[/asin]

This got good reviews, and I thought it might be a step up from the Wallfisch that I already have. But my experience is the same, music with an attractive texture, but I have trouble following the musical story in this music. Another general problem I have with this music, very large orchestra which seems to overmatch the sound of the cello.

I recall finding the music lacking in backbone.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Daverz on April 13, 2019, 09:00:03 PM
I recall finding the music lacking in backbone.

That would be a succinct way of putting it. I have a great affinity for Finzi and haven't given up on the piece yet, although it has been hard to find my way.

Daverz

William Wordsworth

[asin] B07C5SJSNH[/asin]

If you know his Symphonies 2 & 3 on Lyrita, you know how good the music is.  This is a nice mix of lighter and more serious fare.  The Symphony No. 8, his last, is particularly compelling.

TheGSMoeller

Que

I'm revisiting this set with music from The Leiden Choirbooks, in reverse order..
This morning: Volume III.

[asin]B006WG3U2Q[/asin][asin]B00YJKUZ1Q[/asin]

Q

Que

Next:

[asin]B00UCKXVWW[/asin]

Q

Wanderer

Que

Revisiting:

[asin]B01N9RP0EJ[/asin]
Like I said before: this is a clear winner!
A collection of music in Rococo (Galant) style from the Prussian court of Frederick the Great.
Chamber music with recorder (flute) solos in various settings by Gottfried Finger, Händel, Janitsch, Graun, Quantz, CPE Bach, Ernst Gotlieb Baron and Johann Christian Schultze. Sterling musicians in the Ensemble 1700, like Alfredo Bernardini (oboe), Nils Mönkemeyer (viola), Marco Testori (cello) and Alex Wolf (lute).

Absolutely delectable...  :)

Q

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on April 13, 2019, 03:51:35 PM

Symphony No. 2

There is a huge difference between this and the 1st one. The No. 1 is nothing memorable, but the No. 2 is a tremendous work.
I love that work with its 'tolling bell' redemptive ending. I'm sure that it influenced the young Shostakovich (Symphony 1) in its use of the orchestral piano. Do you know Steinberg's 4th Symphony Cesar? It's one of my favourite symphonies and great, comparatively recent, discoveries.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 13, 2019, 09:12:56 PM
That would be a succinct way of putting it. I have a great affinity for Finzi and haven't given up on the piece yet, although it has been hard to find my way.
I like the Celo Concerto but generally  find his works on a smaller scale to be more effective. Dies Natalis is his masterpiece IMO and 'In Terra Pax' is another lovely work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Dvorak, String Quartet No.12

Some works get nicknames for sensible reasons.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Honegger Symphony No. 5: 'The three d's'

Madiel

Dipping into the Wunderhorn with Mahler.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: On Wenlock Edge - Mark Padmore (tenor) with the Schubert Ensemble, fine performance.

San Antone

Rhapsody in Blue (piano solo)

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on April 13, 2019, 05:06:40 AM
Last night:

Utterly charming, all of them, the third particularly so, especially in the second movement.

That second movement is the one of the most beautiful in the violin repertoire. A lovely summer's day and all is well with the world.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Some Moeran for now.

[asin]B000N8UVRQ[/asin]
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 14, 2019, 04:41:09 AM
Good afternoon all,

Some Moeran for now.

[asin]B000N8UVRQ[/asin]
Great CD - good afternoon to you Olivier.

Thread duty.
Kevin Puts: Symphony 2
A moving, memorable and emotive work which is commemorative of the 9/11 attacks in the USA:

cilgwyn

Playing now! One of my favourite Holbrooke cd's. This consists of orchestral music,culled from his operatic trilogy,The Cauldron of Annwn.