What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Playing,now! More Holbrooke!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2019, 01:15:54 AM
I love that work with its 'tolling bell' redemptive ending. I'm sure that it influenced the young Shostakovich (Symphony 1) in its use of the orchestral piano. Do you know Steinberg's 4th Symphony Cesar? It's one of my favourite symphonies and great, comparatively recent, discoveries.

Your assessment of the Steinberg-Shostakovich connection is quite probable, Jeffrey. As for the MS's 4th Symphony, no, I don't have it yet, but I intend to acquire it along with other stuff.

HIPster

Some afternoon Telemann:

[asin]B00009LW56[/asin]

This is a newly acquired CD, mentioned here recently.

Most excellent.  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Daverz

Arriaga: Symphony

[asin] B07KZ35MZY[/asin]

Delightful.

André

I was impressed with the works contained in the violin works set (also on CPO). This 3cd set includes symphonies 2-5 and the 1956 vocal/choral symphony "Of the Great Wisdom" based on Lao-Tseu. Tonight's listening included a second hearing of no 2.

Written in 1932, it is cast in 5 movements and lasts over 3/4 of an hour. It is a big, bold and very assured work. In his lifetime Raphael was championed by the likes of Furtwängler, Stokowski, Celibidache, Jochum, Sawallisch, Ancerl, Kempe etc. It's easy to understand why. The composer's imagination, thematic inventiveness and mastery of orchestration are impressive. There is nothing derivative, nothing recalling another composer's idiom and yet, the composer clearly walks in the footsteps of Strauss, Reger and Hindemith. The 2nd symphony was written a couple of years before Franz Schmidt's 4th. Although quite different, both works share a similar bigness of heart and solidity of structure.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Daverz on April 14, 2019, 04:54:44 PM
Arriaga: Symphony

[asin] B07KZ35MZY[/asin]

Delightful.

Another outstanding contemporary example of the Arriaga is that by Jan Vaclav Vorisek (Symphony in D major) (see below, appropriately coupled with the Arriaga), written in 1821. Both the Arriaga and the Vorisek are quite accomplised.

Todd

The bonus disc of Berg of Schoenberg.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

springrite

Quote from: André on April 14, 2019, 05:02:04 PM

I was impressed with the works contained in the violin works set (also on CPO). This 3cd set includes symphonies 2-5 and the 1956 vocal/choral symphony "Of the Great Wisdom" based on Lao-Tseu. Tonight's listening included a second hearing of no 2.

Written in 1932, it is cast in 5 movements and lasts over 3/4 of an hour. It is a big, bold and very assured work. In his lifetime Raphael was championed by the likes of Furtwängler, Stokowski, Celibidache, Jochum, Sawallisch, Ancerl, Kempe etc. It's easy to understand why. The composer's imagination, thematic inventiveness and mastery of orchestration are impressive. There is nothing derivative, nothing recalling another composer's idiom and yet, the composer clearly walks in the footsteps of Strauss, Reger and Hindemith. The 2nd symphony was written a couple of years before Franz Schmidt's 4th. Although quite different, both works share a similar bigness of heart and solidity of structure.
I just bought the violin works CD which should arrive next week. Maybe I will look into the symphonies afterwards as well.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

JBS

The BBC Music Magazine Vol 27 No 6 (March 2019)

Berlioz
Waverley Overture (Nicholas McGegan conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra (I think. The credits are not clear which of the two orchestras is heard here)
Harold in Italy (Michael  Seal conducting the BBC SO with Lise Berthaud viola)
La mort de Cleopatre (Ilan Volkov conducting the BBC Scottish SO with Ruxandra Donose mezzosoprano).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on April 14, 2019, 07:37:19 AM
Stravinsky

Apollon Musagète  Concertgebouw Orchestre Chailly
The Fairy's Kiss  The Cleveland Orchestre  Oliver Knussen

Pounds the table! Both are superb ballets.

Speaking of ballets...now playing this new acquisition:

Copland
Billy the Kid
Leonard Slatkin, conductor
Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Daverz

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 14, 2019, 08:03:06 AM
Another spin of the Finzi Cello Concerto.

[asin]B07FSGK3GJ[/asin]

It's starting to sink in, but the first movement still seems a bit sprawling. The second is a solemn meditation and the finale contains some very attractive melody. Not destined to become my favorite Finzi, but I am starting to appreciate it.

Listened to the Cello Concerto 3 times tonight:

[asin] B000OCZ1OO[/asin]
[asin] B00005QCYM[/asin]

And the Watkins above.  Chandos had the best sound.  Lyrita's sonics are disappointing compared to their best.  Watkin's cello tone is a happy medium between Ma's softness and Hugh's focus.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on April 14, 2019, 08:01:43 PM
That... is not the best cover art I've ever seen.

Indeed. An eyesore really.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Madiel on April 14, 2019, 08:01:43 PM
That... is not the best cover art I've ever seen.

I had several of those original releases when they first came out and I'll admit to being fond of the cover art for the series.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Daverz on April 14, 2019, 08:15:03 PM
Listened to the Cello Concerto 3 times tonight:

[asin] B000OCZ1OO[/asin]
[asin] B00005QCYM[/asin]

And the Watkins above.  Chandos had the best sound.  Lyrita's sonics are disappointing compared to their best.  Watkin's cello tone is a happy medium between Ma's softness and Hugh's focus.

I have both of those, in addition to the two Chandos recording (Watkins and Wallfisch). I think I will listen to Watkins one more time and put it aside, to listen to Hugh some time in the future.

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B00BI9VDIK[/asin]
Cute & lovely music, though perhaps a bit predictable.
Recommended for the lover of excellent & authentic performances of music for wind instruments!
The playing by the ensemble Notturna is superb.

Q

Irons

An odd decision to pair Sibelius with Delius. I purchased this recording solely for the Delius quartet as "Voces intimae" is the one Sibelius work that for me is a closed book. As events transpired at long last the penny dropped and I enjoyed, with no little assistance from the Fitzwilliam SQ, Sibelius' quartet very much. The Delius is a too literal performance and disappointing. Fabulous sonics.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 14, 2019, 02:26:44 PM
It hasn't been released in the Uk,yet;as far as I know?! It has been released in Germany & can be bought from the Jpc website. I'll be waiting for it to become available here & the price to drop! If I had more dosh I'd have ordered it from Jpc. Alas! I was just looking at the back of the cd on another site (Clic Musique). I didn't expect the symphony to be so long!! ???

Thank you cilgwyn. I was puzzled that I could not locate the CD on Amazon. I have Symphony 4 on Dutton but can't remember much about it and should listen to it again. On the whole I prefer Holbrooke's chamber music, which I first came across as background music featured in an audio-book which I was listening to in the car - possibly 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde'. I was very impressed by the appropriately haunting music and tracked down the Marco Polo CD as a consequence. I remember a rather negative review of 'The Birds of Rhiannon' where the writer suggested that the birds as featured in Holbrooke's tone poem would not have enticed him to hang around at Harlech for seven years, as in the story ( or something like that).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 14, 2019, 02:29:49 PM
Playing,now! More Holbrooke!

That's my favourite disc of Holbrooke's orchestral music although there is one I like on CPO with a similar programme I think. Here it is:
Ulalume has a kind of claustrophobic and haunting atmosphere which is oddly appealing. In places it reminded me of Franz Waxman's (excellent) score for the Hitchcock film 'Rebecca'.
Thread duty
Ulalume
[img][/imago
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on April 14, 2019, 02:47:46 PM
Your assessment of the Steinberg-Shostakovich connection is quite probable, Jeffrey. As for the MS's 4th Symphony, no, I don't have it yet, but I intend to acquire it along with other stuff.
I'm sure you'll enjoy Steinberg's 4th Symphony Cesar. It's one that 'I couldn't stop playing' to use a phrase which amuses cilgwyn. Steinberg deserves to be remembered for not only being the son-in-law of Rimsky-Korsakov and teacher of Shostakovich but also IMO as a fine composer. I've done rather well out of Steiberg because when Gramophone printed a snooty and dismissive review of Steinberg's 4th Symphony I wrote into them with an alternative view of the symphony. They printed my letter and I won £50 of record vouchers!