What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 14, 2019, 05:02:04 PM

I was impressed with the works contained in the violin works set (also on CPO). This 3cd set includes symphonies 2-5 and the 1956 vocal/choral symphony "Of the Great Wisdom" based on Lao-Tseu. Tonight's listening included a second hearing of no 2.

Written in 1932, it is cast in 5 movements and lasts over 3/4 of an hour. It is a big, bold and very assured work. In his lifetime Raphael was championed by the likes of Furtwängler, Stokowski, Celibidache, Jochum, Sawallisch, Ancerl, Kempe etc. It's easy to understand why. The composer's imagination, thematic inventiveness and mastery of orchestration are impressive. There is nothing derivative, nothing recalling another composer's idiom and yet, the composer clearly walks in the footsteps of Strauss, Reger and Hindemith. The 2nd symphony was written a couple of years before Franz Schmidt's 4th. Although quite different, both works share a similar bigness of heart and solidity of structure.
This looks very interesting Andre. I like the idea of a symphony based on Lao-Tse's writings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Stravinsky

Persephone

London Philharmonic  -  Kent Nagano

ritter

First listen (ever) to any of Arthur Lourié's music:

[asin]B00000E56L[/asin]
Quite interesting, in fact. Very much in the mold of Stravinsky's music of the late 40s, but perhaps a bit more sombre an angular. Well worth getting to know.

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: Piano Concerto - Louis Lortie (piano) with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra conducted by Peter Oundjian - prompted by a discussion elsewhere in the forum

vandermolen

Symphony 6 'Pathetique'

A really fine performance and excellent recording. It has a strong sense of pulse running through it. The glowering darkness at the end reminded me of the ending of Shostakovich's 4th Symphony, which I'm sure was influenced by this work. It is a very familiar symphony but I found this performance, particularly at the end, to be very moving:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Playing,now! Yet,more Holbrooke! ??? :) A lovely,tuneful score,imho (as they say!). Holbrooke's last 'hit',apparently! The Saxophone Concerto,was the first British concerto,for that instrument. This is a more serious concert piece,and Amy Dickson',superb musicianship,makes the most of the more shadowy,haunting atmosphere of this work. The only negative (for me,anyway) is the dry acoustic. The ballet music should have a lush,sumptuous sound. Still,it doesn't spoil my enjoyment. Once my ears adjusted to the sound! The Saxophone Concerto sounds better,to my ears!

vandermolen! I was amazed to read your positive response to Holbrooke's music! I thought I must be imagining it,at first. I even looked at the date;just in case it was still April the First!! You'll be enjoying Respighi's Sinfonia Drammatica,next!! I quite like The Birds of Rhiannon;but it's not Holbrooke at his best! Even if you think there's a best?!! ;D And yet,it's Holbrooke's most recorded work! I think the "Grasshopper",in it's various incarnations,must be,his next most recorded work?! Yes,that's a good one about those birds!! ;D I'd have probably b******* off,too! ;D I like the "Grasshopper",though! (Not to be confused with the one in,Kung Fu!! ::) ;D) What about the Prelude to the Bells,though? I'd like to hear it with a really good orchestra!
Have you heard this cd? (See below!) which seems to have been,largely,overlooked by the 'critics';judging from the lack of,available,reviews. You said you prefer his Chamber music. I think the musicianship on this one is excellent! And,some of the pieces are,arguably,Holbrooke at his best,exploiting that shadowy,dark 'gothic' side,to his music,which,imo, marks him out from some of the other,late romantic,also ran's! The sound quality,as you might expect from Cpo,is first rate!

cilgwyn

Isn't it amazing,the obscurities being unearthed on cd,these days! What next? A Gaze Cooper symphony cycle? August Bungert's massive,Homerische Welt,operatic tetralogy;or,at least,one of them on cd! (Come on Cpo! ::) ;D)  Love his name,by the way!! ;D

vandermolen

I'll look out for that Holbrooke chamber music disc which looks interesting. Thanks cilgwyn. For the record I'd much rather listen to the Sinfonia Drammatica by Respighi than to 'Ein Heldenleben' by Richard Strauss.

Traverso

Stravinsky

Jeu de Carte  -  London Symph  Abbado
Scènes de Ballet   Israel Philharmonic   Bernstein
Orpheus   Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

Biffo

Brahms: Symphony No 2 in D major - Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic Orchestra

Mirror Image

Ravel
Shéhérazade
Véronique Gens, soprano
John Axelrod, conductor
Orchestre National des Pays de la Loire

Mirror Image

Ravel
String Quartet in F major
Quatuor Ébène

Traverso

Stravinsky

The devil is hard at work in Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress!

The Rake's Progress 

John Eliot Gardiner

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on April 15, 2019, 05:12:09 AM
I'll look out for that Holbrooke chamber music disc which looks interesting. Thanks cilgwyn. For the record I'd much rather listen to the Sinfonia Drammatica by Respighi than to 'Ein Heldenleben' by Richard Strauss.
Not sure what to make of that?!! But,I get your point! ;D

cilgwyn

Playing,now! This 1964 production,recorded in Vienna,gets less praise and attention,than some others. There are some good reviews,on the internet,though;and a very detailed,and interesting one,on the Amazon site. From my point of view,it has,Anneliese Rothenberger,as Gretel. As a bit of a fan,of the singer,that was one good reason to add it to my collection! According to the,previously cited,review;"it gives us a perfect snapshot of the ensemble of the Vienna State Opera of that period...." "Every member of the cast is a full time member of that company"....! The sound quality is a bit drier than usual for a Decca recording of that period,but very clear. It also has the benefit of making Humperdinck's orchestration sound a little less "sugary",than it can be made to sound,on some of the more 'starry' recordings.

SonicMan46

After a short visit to the South Carolina shore, back to my collection of older music - now getting toward the end of the composer alphabet:

Schütz, Heinrich (1585-1672) - just counted and own about 14 CDs of his music, so will concentrate on some of the multi-disc sets shown below - Dave :)

aligreto

WAGNER - DER FLIEGENDE HOLLANDER [BOHM]

SymphonicAddict

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 15, 2019, 10:14:20 AM
After a short visit to the South Carolina shore, back to my collection of older music - now getting toward the end of the composer alphabet:

Schütz, Heinrich (1585-1672) - just counted and own about 14 CDs of his music, so will concentrate on some of the multi-disc sets shown below - Dave :)

I love Schütz' music, love it.  :)

Q