What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 15, 2019, 04:35:02 PM
I've listened to the second symphony 3 more times, and 3 times to the 5th symphony. I just can't get over how impressive and original the second symphony is. It is a perfectly symmetrical 5 movement structure, its kernel being an incredibly moving slow movement. In its intensity and role as the work's emotional pivot it reminds me of the adagio of Elgar's second symphony.

The fifth was written some 20 years later, so both works bookend the beginning and end of WWII by some 7 years. It's a totally different work, much more modern, acerbic, with atonality used to surprisingly emotional effect. This performance is a mono studio recording (excellent 1960 sound but perforce older-sounding than the sumptuous 2007 recording given the other work on the disc). However, I hasten to say it's given a crackerjack performance under Schmidt-Isserstedt. Orchestra and conductor are on fire. Schmidt-Isserstedt is usually considered a solid conductor, but not an emotional one. Here, he and the NDR Hamburg orchestra leave the listener breathless.

I look forward to hearing the rest after my vacation. The other performances are a 1950 Titania Palast performance of the 4th symphony under Celibidache, a 2003 MDR Leipzig performance of the 5th and finally a 1965 BRSO performance of the choral symphony under Michael Gielen. The set (3 discs) sells under 10€ at JPC.
Thank you Andre for the detailed feedback. This looks like an essential set! But I think that I'll have to wait until next month - it is not so cheap on Amazon UK.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2019, 12:09:36 AM
Symphony 1 'Expiatoire'. One of the great unsung French symphonies and I'm aware that my use of 'great' and 'unsung' may not be shared here but I stick by them. Seemed appropriate listening for this morning following the sad events at Notre Dame yesterday.
Recently discovered a soul mate: the 1949 Symphonie funèbre by Swiss composer Mathieu Vibert:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

First listen to this recent purchase (second-hand, as the CD is long OOP):

[asin]B0000260ID[/asin]
These old Olympia CDs of Enesco's music can be a hit-and-miss affair, but this one is definitely a winner. The Study Symphony No. 4 is miles away from the mature Enesco I admire, but is actually a quite pleasant work, lively and lithe (at moments, one may think of Mendelssohn-Bartholdy). Recently, I discussed the Ouverture de concert, op. 32 with Florestan here on GMG, and expressed my lack of real enthusiasm for the work. Well, Horia Andrescu and his Romanian National Radio forces sure make a strong point for the piece. And the Symphony No. 1, op. 13 is excellently served. Great disc...

Madiel

Holmboe, the Violin Concerto (concerto no.6), op.33 (1943)

Okay, wow. I don't what it was, but... I loved this today. Yes, we all know I'm a Holmboe fan anyway, but I don't remember this being a work I was exceptionally fond of. For one thing my memory was that I preferred the op.31 Viola Concerto on the same disc.

But today I found the first 2 movements completely riveting. And the finale wasn't bad either!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Delius: Sea Drift - Richard Hickox conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra & assorted choirs with Bryn Terfel

André

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2019, 12:16:50 AM
Thank you Andre for the detailed feedback. This looks like an essential set! But I think that I'll have to wait until next month - it is not so cheap on Amazon UK.

Hi Jeffrey! Why don't you order it from JPC ? At 9.99€ it's a steal.

Madiel

Sibelius, the first 3 songs he orchestrated in 1903:

Since then I have questioned no further (op.17/1, original 1891-2)
On a Balcony by the Sea (op.38/2, original 1903)
In the Night (op.38/3, original 1903)

It's been a bit too long since I listened to the piano versions to really remember what they sound like (though "In the Night" in particular did stir some recognition), and I kind of don't want to go immediately back to them after listening to the orchestral versions for the first time. But I have a hard time thinking they'd sound any better than this. There are plenty of things in the orchestral accompaniment that a piano simply couldn't do.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Messiaen

It seems that the organ has survived the fire but we have to wait many years before it can be used again.

Apparition de l'Église Éternelle
La Nativité du Seigneur

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Biffo on April 16, 2019, 03:01:10 AM
Delius: Sea Drift - Richard Hickox conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra & assorted choirs with Bryn Terfel

I really like Terfel's early recordings where its "just" a beautiful voice and an intelligent singer.  Later recordings seem to be more about the star personality of the singer rather than serving the music......

Maestro267

Barber: Essays for Orchestra Nos. 1-3
RSNO/Alsop

Biffo

More Delius - Paris: The Song of a Great City - BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Andrew Davis

Madiel

Bach, Cello Suite No.6

A few days ago I set up 30 playlists in Deezer: the 5 cellists who made it to my final round of deciding what further Suites recordings to buy, each of the 6 suites a separate playlist.

So now on suitable nights I'm letting a random number generator decide which suite and which cellist to wheel out.

Torleif Thedéen in the 3rd Suite was a major disappointment, and, as the cellist who only just scraped into this round, he could get cut if the next suite makes a similar poor impression.

Kirshbaum in the 6th Suite is doing much better. He really knows how to make the music dance - in this case the Prelude feels pretty close to a Gigue, and the Courante has fantastic zip. Perhaps I'd like a little more feeling and restraint, e.g. in the Sarabande, but this was pretty pleasurable.

Traverso

Stravinsky

CD 12

Agon      Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester    Ashkenzay

The Flood      London Sinfonietta Knussen

cilgwyn

Playing now! This rediscovery is light and frothy;yet,doesn't seem to,just go,in one ear and out the other,like some other's I've drummed my fingers through! ::) Stylishly performed too,with a lovely big booklet,that fits inside,the nice,slimline,card case!

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 16, 2019, 03:22:31 AM
Hi Jeffrey! Why don't you order it from JPC ? At 9.99€ it's a steal.
Hi Andre - having thought about it that's just what I decided to do! :)
Having a bit of trouble processing the order through their website but hopefully will sort it out.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 16, 2019, 01:15:14 AM
Recently discovered a soul mate: the 1949 Symphonie funèbre by Swiss composer Mathieu Vibert:

How interesting! More temptation  ::)

But maybe not at £40! I sampled it on You Tube and it sounds excellent. Thanks for posting about it Johan.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 16, 2019, 04:13:14 AM
Barber: Essays for Orchestra Nos. 1-3
RSNO/Alsop
Regarding the Barber, what are peopple's thoughts on this:

vandermolen

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 16, 2019, 05:20:07 AM
Regarding the Barber, what are peopple's thoughts on this:

I think that it's a very nice CD. It features two of my favourite works by Barber, the Symphony in One Movement and the Second Essay for Orchestra, which has the most wonderful end section.

Thread duty.
Symphony 25 'Odysseus'

Traverso

Schubert

CD 5

4 Impromptus D.899
4 Impromptus D.935
2 Marches Caractèristique D.886