What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 16, 2019, 05:20:07 AM
Regarding the Barber, what are peopple's thoughts on this:

I feel that Järvi isn't the right conductor for Barber. Alsop and Schippers are my go-to Barber conductors for the orchestral works with several exceptions here and there. Slatkin and Zinman are also very good.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2019, 06:51:50 AM
I feel that Järvi isn't the right conductor for Barber. Alsop and Schippers are my go-to Barber conductors for the orchestral works with several exceptions here and there. Slatkin and Zinman are also very good.
I do agree that Schippers is the No.1 choice for Essay No.2. What I like about the Jarvi disc is the selection of works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 16, 2019, 01:15:14 AM
Recently discovered a soul mate: the 1949 Symphonie funèbre by Swiss composer Mathieu Vibert:

I listened to 'Symphonie funebre' from You Tube using the mini pod speaker I bought for my iPad a while back (a bit of context there in the style of cilgwyn  8)) I was very impressed. At first I had it on while I was doing some work but by the last movement I'd given up with the work and was gripped by the music. Honegger came to mind, especially Symphony 2 and maybe 3. It was the powerful last movement which reminded me most of Sauguet's 'Expiatoire' symphony. Certainly a very interesting discovery which I would like to hear again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Stravinsky

First class,spitzenklasse, excellente

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Traverso on April 16, 2019, 06:29:35 AM
Schubert

CD 5

4 Impromptus D.899
4 Impromptus D.935
2 Marches Caractèristique D.886

Infuriating that you have all those grand old Philips sets that I covet! :)

On the other hand, I just realized that I have Arrau's recordings of the Schubert Late Sonatas in a box set. I'll console myself with those, I suppose.

SonicMan46

Some 'plucked instrumental' music, then back to Schütz; Moreno on Vihuela, Baroque Guitar, and Modern Guitar playing music from the early 16th to the early 20th centuries; 2-disc set and a MP3 DL - Dave :)

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Cato

As part of Holy Week for my Latin students: the opening movement with the Veni Creator Spiritus

[asin]B000TMCG8S[/asin]

And...

And...

The Te Deum

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Traverso

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 16, 2019, 07:56:21 AM
Infuriating that you have all those grand old Philips sets that I covet! :)

On the other hand, I just realized that I have Arrau's recordings of the Schubert Late Sonatas in a box set. I'll console myself with those, I suppose.

A few years ago I sold almost all of my classic LPs.
Afterwards I replaced a lot of them with CDs.
I bought those two large Haitink boxes ( "Symphonies" and "the Philips years") that were very affordable boxes and were released by Decca.
For nostalgic reasons I would love to have the Philips boxes but they are harder to find and more expensive anyway.
Do you mean the  Philips CDs released by Decca?
I have only a few original Philips boxes  but not that much,Magaloff / Chopin was a big box that I purchased recently wich was quite expensive.
I'm also happy to have this one. :)

Florestan

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 16, 2019, 04:59:45 AM
Playing now! This rediscovery is light and frothy;yet,doesn't seem to,just go,in one ear and out the other,like some other's I've drummed my fingers through! ::) Stylishly performed too,with a lovely big booklet,that fits inside,the nice,slimline,card case!

Pounds the table! A delicious gem. That whole Opera Rara series is a treasure trove.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Traverso on April 16, 2019, 09:08:36 AM
A few years ago I sold almost all of my classic LPs.
Afterwards I replaced a lot of them with CDs.
I bought those two large Haitink boxes ( "Symphonies" and "the Philips years") that were very affordable boxes and were released by Decca.
For nostalgic reasons I would love to have the Philips boxes but they are harder to find and more expensive anyway.
Do you mean the  Philips CDs released by Decca?
I have only a few original Philips boxes  but not that much,Magaloff / Chopin was a big box that I purchased recently wich was quite expensive.

I was noticing the Haebler and remembering your mention of the Magaloff-Chopin and the Rubsam-Bach set, with a vague memory of some others.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on April 16, 2019, 09:09:14 AM
Pounds the table! A delicious gem. That whole Opera Rara series is a treasure trove.
+1

One of my early purchases from Opera Rara and well worth it. A joy indeed!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Papy Oli

Good evening all,

1st listen to Havergal Brian - Symphony No.17

https://www.youtube.com/v/8Aa87y-MAX8
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 16, 2019, 09:35:14 AM
+1

One of my early purchases from Opera Rara and well worth it. A joy indeed!

The whole series is fantastic! I am particularly fond of this one:

Tom's cavatina (Sulla poppa del mio bric) is to die for. I first heard it on YouTube and was completely blown away. Actually, that's what triggered my hunt for Opera Rara albums.  8)

Papy Oli

Another maiden listen : Havergal Brian - Symphony No.28

https://www.youtube.com/v/rI_sG63QbMM
Olivier

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on April 16, 2019, 09:52:07 AM
The whole series is fantastic! I am particularly fond of this one:

Tom's cavatina (Sulla poppa del mio bric) is to die for. I first heard it on YouTube and was completely blown away. Actually, that's what triggered my hunt for Opera Rara albums.  8)

Oh no! I don't have that one!  :P
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Papy Oli

Olivier

Florestan

Traverso

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 16, 2019, 09:23:42 AM
I was noticing the Haebler and remembering your mention of the Magaloff-Chopin and the Rubsam-Bach set, with a vague memory of some others.

[/url]      

and seven more of these Mozart edition boxes,not all that much I think. :)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Traverso on April 16, 2019, 10:33:14 AMand seven more of these Mozart edition boxes,not all that much I think. :)

Nothing to sneeze at! :)

I got these (some are now sold out) but not before the noble Philips trade mark was supplanted by Decca.

[asin]B013L20N4G[/asin]

[asin]B014VLVTW6[/asin]

[asin]B077ZH999P[/asin]

At least I snagged these babies (and some others) before the scourge. :)