What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: aligreto on April 17, 2019, 10:27:07 AM
I like the Brahms Serenades. I do not know that particular recording but it must be exciting under Belohlávek.

Those Czech winds are wonderful in these works.

aligreto

Quote from: Daverz on April 17, 2019, 10:52:27 AM
Those Czech winds are wonderful in these works.

Yes, I would think so. I just might have to seek out that CD.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 17, 2019, 10:50:02 AM
I particularly like him in Bruckner.

I particularly like  Bruckner. ;)  Haitink is a true servant without being servile.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Haitink is about balance and clarity. Giving every instrumental line it's due. Early in my classical listening experience I considered him dull, but now I regard him as one of the true greats.

Florestan

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 17, 2019, 08:47:17 AM
Oh,I wouldn't say,I don't like it! I think it's well crafted and tuneful. But it didn't 'grab' me,like Ambroise Thomas' La cour de Célimène;which I played first. But I shouldn't make comparisons! Maybe play Auber first,next time?!! I'd certainly be interested in hearing more Auber,though! Sumi Jo's singing is one,good reason to own that set,though! As to Mady mesple? I gather,from various comments I've seen on the internet,that some people hate her voice!! She's not one of my favourite singers;but I've always,quite liked her singing;particularly in operetta. A strange,fluttery sounding voice;but very,very French! She's on,particularly,good form in the,old,emi recording of Messager's Véronique,imo.

Well, Auber has this unique distinction among composers, that his music literally ignited a political revolution; the work was La muette de Portici, the year 1830, the place Brussels --- he is arguably the founding father of Belgium.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Traverso

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 17, 2019, 11:07:56 AM
Haitink is about balance and clarity. Giving every instrumental line it's due. Early in my classical listening experience I considered him dull, but now I regard him as one of the true greats.

Your words are music in my ears,bravo! :)

aligreto

Beethoven: Bagatelles Op. 126 [Kempff]

aligreto

Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto [Suk/Ancerl]

This is a strong, very fine and sometimes exhilarating performance. Ancerl drives everything along with vigour.

Mandryka

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 16, 2019, 10:42:27 AM
Nothing to sneeze at! :)

I got these (some are now sold out) but not before the noble Philips trade mark was supplanted by Decca.

[asin]B013L20N4G[/asin]

[

Were these remastered?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

This is delightful music, spoilt slightly by the pulse, which is too stiff. You can hear the bar lines! But I'm happy to have found such an agreeable recording from a composer I normally find very challenging - so I'm trying to be a glass half full person. I may be being too fussy.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Kontrapunctus

Engaging music that is well recorded, but am I hearing occasional intonation problems?

aligreto

Bach JS: Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 [Leonhardt/Bruggen]

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 17, 2019, 10:50:02 AM
I particularly like him in Bruckner.

Me too and I was impressed by an extract from his recording of 'The Planets' on the radio today. I also like his VW and Shostakovich recordings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Biffo on April 17, 2019, 10:33:31 AM
Roussel: Symphony No. 2 in B-flat - Orchestre National de l'ORTF conducted by Jean Martinon

It's potentially my favorite symphony by this composer, showing the perfect transition between his two periods (impressionistic and neoclassical).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2019, 10:57:45 PM
Looks most interesting. I know that they are not necessarily approved of but I like works like Stokowski's 'Symphonic Synthesis' of Boris Godunov (although it's one of the few operas I like) and his Bach transcriptions.

Some arrangers have done an excellent job, as you say, Stokowski was one of them. His arrangement of the Pictures at an Exhibition is quite remarkable, too.

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 17, 2019, 02:25:43 AM
Thankyou for reminding me about this disc - enjoying it greatly as I write.  Excellent transcriptions and superb recording - the sort of thing Jarvi did best!!

I thoroughly agree.

SymphonicAddict

Four fabulous Sinfoniettas (Piazzolla, Villa-Lobos, Moeran and Tubin):

Ken B

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 17, 2019, 12:51:13 PM
Bach JS: Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 [Leonhardt/Bruggen]

I still like these recordings,they have not lost their attraction..

Mirror Image

Debussy
Trois chansons de Bilitis
Fêtes galantes, Set 1
Nuit d'étoiles
Beau Soir
Fleur des blés
La Belle au bois dormant
Noël des enfants qui n'ont plus de maison

Véronique Gens, soprano
Roger Vignoles, piano

Daverz

A Wellesz evening:

[asin] B00007J4VB[/asin]

4 has a gorgeous, majestic Adagio.  6 & 7 are a bit more abstract.  Fantastic playing and recording.  I'm regretting I didn't get the whole box of Wellesz symphonies.

[asin] B0037BPZW2[/asin]

Great stuff.