vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 18, 2019, 08:00:38 PM
All of this Arnold talk led me to listen to this:

Arnold
Symphony No. 7
Andrew Penny, conductor
National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland

Very nice CD as I like both symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 18, 2019, 09:33:34 AM
Been listening to this release again.

[asin]B07FSGK3GJ[/asin]

The Cello Concerto has finally sunk in, especially the splendid second movement. The Grand Fantasia and Toccata seemed to impress me more in the Hickox/Fowke recording. The Nocturne is nicely done. The Eclogue has it's moments (especially the opening, where it sounds almost like a Bach invention) but it seems to disintegrate towards the end.

It took time for me too. The Finzi CC is a favourite work of Pohjola's Daughter and because of that I persevered. It is now one of my favourite Finzi works. The Eclogue is a lovely piece. I agree with vandermolen that Dies Natalis is his finest, I also rate the Clarinet Concerto highly.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Haydn: The Seven Last Words of our Saviour on the Cross.

I prefer a chamber orchestra to a string quartet in this work.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

My morning listening are some of the offices for the Holy Week from this set:

I find it incomprehensible that Glossa has let this important recording run out of print for so long.... ::)
There is however a single disc reissue with the music for Good Friday:
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Good-Friday-Luis-Victoria/dp/B00BORWYK2/

Q

rickardg

Quote from: Iota on April 18, 2019, 02:24:10 PM
May I ask what you thought of it? I was listening to that a few days ago and really liked what I've heard so far.

His playing struck me as seen from the outside rather than inside, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. He appears to take a refined and thoughtful approach, which produces a delightful Haydn variations and a magical Night's Music (from Out of Doors Suite) for example. And at times his control of technical challenges is electrifying (e.g The Chase, also from OoDS).
I get the impression he likes to have intense control of all aspects of the music to achieve expressive results, which is very interesting. Am looking forward to playing the cd again, including the pieces I've not yet heard..

I liked the pieces you mentioned (Haydn variations and Night's Music and the Chase from Out of Doors), but I also (and unexpectedly) liked the Say piece 'Black Earth'.

I haven't really heard enough of the competition to comment on Çakmur's relative merits, though...

Biffo

Quote from: Que on April 18, 2019, 11:49:09 PM
My morning listening are some of the offices for the Holy Week from this set:

I find it incomprehensible that Glossa has let this important recording run out of print for so long.... ::)
There is however a single disc reissue with the music for Good Friday:
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Good-Friday-Luis-Victoria/dp/B00BORWYK2/

Q

I have no idea how record companies decide to discontinue selling an album, probably when sales fall to zero or very low. This set probably has always had limited appeal; I bought it in Spain several years ago.

Hyperion have a special offer where albums that haven't sold for a long time are available as downloads at a bargain price. Don't know how other companies dispose of low sellers.

Que

Quote from: Biffo on April 19, 2019, 12:32:35 AM
I have no idea how record companies decide to discontinue selling an album, probably when sales fall to zero or very low. This set probably has always had limited appeal; I bought it in Spain several years ago.

I'm glad to hear that you have it!  :)

Because when relistening I realised (again) how utterly gorgeous it is!

Q

Que

Though it was very tempting to continue with the Victoria set,
now switching to this beautiful recording of Palestrina's Lamentations:

[asin]B00004SWMW[/asin]
Gorgeous music, that deserves to be heard. Really excellent performances.

Q

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2019, 10:43:17 PM
Very nice CD as I like both symphonies.
I have been lucky enough to hear Arnold's Eight live, some three years ago. It's perhaps his most unknown, and to hear it performed live makes a big difference.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 19, 2019, 01:20:05 AM
I have been lucky enough to hear Arnold's Eight live, some three years ago. It's perhaps his most unknown, and to hear it performed live makes a big difference.

I think I've only hear the Fifth live at a concert where I managed to get Arnold's autograph.

Thread duty:
Symphony 9:

Now:
Maximilian Steinberg
Symphony 4 'Turksib'

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2019, 01:24:56 AM
I think I've only hear the Fifth live at a concert where I managed to get Arnold's autograph.
We know, we saved the picture:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Started my journey through this set:

wtih the first disc of symphonies and the disc of strings sextets. Joyful yet melancholy, cheerful yet tender, simple yet charming, Boccherini's music never fails to delight me.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Que

Next:

[asin]B000025O87[/asin]
Better get this edition if you want full texts & liner notes.

Q

Florestan

Quote from: Que on April 19, 2019, 02:58:58 AM
Next:

[asin]B000025O87[/asin]
Better get this edition if you want full texts & liner notes.

Q

On Easter day you should complement it with this:

Traverso

Que

Quote from: Florestan on April 19, 2019, 03:22:44 AM
On Easter day you should complement it with this:

Indeed!  :)

I have the Hereweghe, but it is a bit mellow and not so expressive. I expect the Kuijken to be an upgrade..
Does the issue on Helios include full texts? :)

Q

Florestan

Quote from: Que on April 19, 2019, 04:35:45 AM
Indeed!  :)

I have the Hereweghe, but it is a bit mellow and not so expressive. I expect the Kuijken to be an upgrade..
Does the issue on Helios include full texts? :)

Q

Yes, with English translation. You can find them --- and the full booklet --- here:

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDH55478

vandermolen

Symphony 6. Boult's first (1949) recording of my favourite VW symphony with the LSO. I love Boult's objective way, which really suits the music IMO; for example the 'big tune' at the end of the first movement is performed in a slightly understated way which, I think, makes it much more effective:

Biffo

Roussel: Symphony No 3 in G minor - Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux conducted by Charles Munch