Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Stravinsky

The Firebird
Scherzo à la Russe (for Jazz band )
Four Studies
Scherzo à la Russe  ( orchestral Version )

Madiel

Bridge, late piano works (mostly from volume 3 of Bebbington's 3-volume set)

Canzonetta
Graziella
A Dedication
Hidden Fires

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Debussy
Jeux
Lan Shui, conductor
Singapore Symphony Orchestra

Stunning performance of this late Debussy masterpiece.

aligreto

Symphonies 32, 35 & 36 [Gardiner]

I am particularly fond of the performances of Nos. 32 & 35 here.

aligreto

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 18, 2019, 10:34:43 AM

Do you also like the Clarinet Concerto on that disk? My reference recording is Thea King/Francis on Hyperion

It has been a while since I have listened to the Cello Concerto but I do recall that I liked this work a lot, particularly the Adagio movement. I have not heard the Thea King/Francis version.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Irons on April 18, 2019, 11:07:27 PM
It took time for me too. The Finzi CC is a favourite work of Pohjola's Daughter and because of that I persevered. It is now one of my favourite Finzi works. The Eclogue is a lovely piece. I agree with vandermolen that Dies Natalis is his finest, I also rate the Clarinet Concerto highly.

I've found my breakthrough recording of this concerto, the Yo-Yo Ma recording.

[asin]B000OCZ1OO[/asin]

He finds the melody in what sounds like obsessive passage work in the other recordings.

The Cello Concerto was my introduction to Finzi, and it remains my favorite work by him. The Cello Concerto has now risen almost as high in my affection. Probably I'll listen to the version of the clarinet concerto on this Lyrita disc next.

aligreto

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 19, 2019, 08:03:17 AM
.... Probably I'll listen to the version on this Lyrita disc next.

I would be interested in your thoughts when you do so.

cilgwyn

Suppé's Boccaccio! Cd 2! Track 9,finally played,without skipping;after I wiped all the blobs off it! How do they get there?!! I'm always so careful!! ??? :( ;D

cilgwyn

Boccaccio strikes me as a lovely,tuneful,operetta! There is more work for the chorus,than is usual,for this kind of work! As opposed,to,merely accompanying,a singer. Anneliese Rothenberger,is in top form;her voice soaring effortlessly! This strikes me as,one of the,most consistently,inspired,operettas,of the period!

SonicMan46

Tomkins, Thomas (1572-1656) - my small collection of CDs below but a nice sampling of his music - Dave :)

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on April 19, 2019, 08:11:18 AM
I would be interested in your thoughts when you do so.

So would I. My session sorted this evening; Finzi Clarinet Concerto.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Nielsen: Symphony No. 1 [Schonwandt]

This is a very fine, expansive performance with great power, vitality and drive. I particularly like the third movement.

cilgwyn

Cd 1,playing ,now! Just let Dukas' dazzling orchestration carry you along. More like a huge,sumptuously scored tone poem,with voices (and one,in particular! And it's not,Bluebeard!! ;D) than a conventional opera. No need to plough through a libretto. And there isn't one with this set,anyway. (The earlier release has one!) Just sit back and enjoy the,fabulous,sounds! :)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 19, 2019, 09:18:50 AM
Tomkins, Thomas (1572-1656) - my small collection of CDs below but a nice sampling of his music - Dave :)

I have always liked the way that you present your posts Dave. They are always illuminating.

Florestan

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 19, 2019, 09:10:51 AM
Boccaccio strikes me as a lovely,tuneful,operetta! There is more work for the chorus,than is usual,for this kind of work! As opposed,to,merely accompanying,a singer. Anneliese Rothenberger,is in top form;her voice soaring effortlessly! This strikes me as,one of the,most consistently,inspired,operettas,of the period!

May I recommend you this? It's absolutely charming and tuneful --- I think you'd just love it.

[asin]B0001ULWTM[/asin]

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SymphonicAddict

Suite in F

I don't know why I didn't remember this quite peculiar composition. It was some years ago since I listened to it, though. What a hilarious work! This piece exudes spark in large amounts. It's incredibly fun and carefree. I loved this!!

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on April 19, 2019, 10:34:42 AM

Suite in F

I don't know why I didn't remember this quite peculiar composition. It was some years ago since I listened to it, though. What a hilarious work! This piece exudes spark in large amounts. It's incredibly fun and carefree. I loved this!!
Clearly one to look out for!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 19, 2019, 09:18:50 AM

I like that Naxos compilation recording very much. Incredible playing really, Red Byrd is special.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Tubin: Symphony No. 7 [Jarvi]

The opening movement is dark, shadowy and somewhat disconcerting in tone. The orchestration is rich and there is a power and intensity to the performance which is unrelenting throughout the movement. The slow movement is also dark in tone but it is somewhat  lyrical in its musical language. The scoring is interesting particularly in the use of the textures of the woodwinds. Once again the final movement is quite dark in tone and contains a high level of intensity and agitation throughout. The continuation of the interesting scoring is very appealing and engaging. The character of the symphony is very atmospheric, dramatic and turbulent and the performance here is compelling.