What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 20, 2019, 08:54:47 AM
Violin Concerto [von Karajan/Ferras]

The playing here is superb with great intonation from Ferras. The performance is emotionally powerful and buoyant and is one of the most intense, if not quite as bleak,  performances that I have heard. I find that the performance of the first movement in particular is stunning. In the slow movement the detail of the orchestral scoring is enhanced in this performance and the solo performance is outstanding: the power and intensity throughout are both enthralling in this gripping performance. The tempo picks up in the final movement and the power, performance and intensity prevails and are unrelenting. This is a truly powerfully committed and compelling performance. Needless to say I like it!
Very good Tapiola as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

Quote from: aligreto on April 20, 2019, 08:54:47 AM
Violin Concerto [von Karajan/Ferras]

The playing here is superb with great intonation from Ferras. The performance is emotionally powerful and buoyant and is one of the most intense, if not quite as bleak,  performances that I have heard. I find that the performance of the first movement in particular is stunning. In the slow movement the detail of the orchestral scoring is enhanced in this performance and the solo performance is outstanding: the power and intensity throughout are both enthralling in this gripping performance. The tempo picks up in the final movement and the power, performance and intensity prevails and are unrelenting. This is a truly powerfully committed and compelling performance. Needless to say I like it!

Herbie is the go-to guy for Sibelius.

Brian

Todd

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2019, 10:55:30 AM
How's that Queffelec box going overall?

Very nice.  No duds yet, after ten discs and already knowing the Dutilleux.  Extremely articulate playing in places, and the Scarlatti disc is quite something.  I look forward to the two long discs of Schubert four hands.  In a head-to-head with the Erato Dalberto box, I prefer Dalberto so far, but not by a whole lot.  Obviously, the only proper solution is to have both.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

cilgwyn

Yes,one,particularly,delightful,and tuneful number;in which Sumi Jo,is accompanied,by castanets! A rousing chorus. What not to enjoy?! Auber,was obviously,a very talented composer. And this is a fine performance! (Sumi Jo's singing,really is,lovely,too! :)) I,obviously,just,wasn't,in the right mood,the last,two,times,I listened to this opera. And,of course,trying to get my ears,and head,around the music of an,unfamiliar,composer. I will,certainly,be looking out for more recordings of Auber! Although,I may have a bit of a wait?! As,so often,with works like this,once they are deleted,sellers start asking horrific prices! As,I've learned;you've just got to keep looking! Suitner's recording of Figaro;which I I listened to earlier,is just one example! (Although,years ago (before the internet) I could probably have picked up an obscurity like this,s/h,for a few quid?!)

Ken B

Milhaud
Cello Concerto 1
Rostropovich

rickardg

Just finished

Michael Tilson Thomas
Four Preludes on Playthings of the Wind for Solo Soprano and Two Female Voices, Bar Band and Chamber Orchestra
New World Symphony et al/MTT

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/michael-tilson-thomas-conducts-michael-tilson-thomas/

Interesting! I may have thousands of small quibbles with this work but the way it actually explicitly engages with the "popular" music of the last century means it's still right up my alley, chamber orchestra, blues band, soprano with soul-y vocal backing, lyrics by Carl Sandburg, what's not to like? I expect a lot of the regulars here to hate it... :-)

Now up (from the same live stream):
Franz Schubert / Gustav Mahler / Michael Tilson Thomas
String Quartet No. 14 in D Minor, D. 810, "Death and the Maiden" (version for orchestra)
New World Symphony/MTT

ritter

First listen to Franz Liszt's Via Crucis (in its version for choir and piano):

[asin]B072ZLXVWS[/asin]
This enigmatic, ascetic composition is turning out to be quite wonderful.  :)

aligreto

Doyle: Budawanny

Budawanny is the soundtrack to a film of the same name. It is basically a keyboard based electronic score. The music is atmospheric and entertaining.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 20, 2019, 09:32:42 AM

I like it to  ;)

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2019, 10:34:07 AM
Very good Tapiola as well.

It is a great disc all round.

Quote from: Ken B on April 20, 2019, 10:47:24 AM
Herbie is the go-to guy for Sibelius.

That has also been a long held belief of mine for many years.

Sergeant Rock

Suppé Overtures (Light Cavalry,  Poet and Peasant, Pique Dame, Morning, Noon and Night in Vienna), Solti conducting the LPO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: Todd on April 20, 2019, 11:04:09 AM

Very nice.  No duds yet, after ten discs and already knowing the Dutilleux.  Extremely articulate playing in places, and the Scarlatti disc is quite something.  I look forward to the two long discs of Schubert four hands.  In a head-to-head with the Erato Dalberto box, I prefer Dalberto so far, but not by a whole lot.  Obviously, the only proper solution is to have both.
Thanks. Also, darn it, I hadn't looked at the Dalberto box at all yet.

Queffelec has a much more recent Scarlatti recital on the Mirare label which is also well worth hearing, so I have high hopes for the earlier Erato recital.

ritter

Music from the French grand siècle (Sainte-Colombe père & fils, Nivers, and Louis & François Couperin—including the breathtaking Troisième leçon de Ténèbres), beautifully performed by Spanish musicians (the trio La Bellemont and other soloists):

[asin]B00Q7QQFJQ[/asin]

Sergeant Rock

Suppé Light Cavalry Overture, Peter Jan Marthé conducting his hired band

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Paganini, Nicolò (1782-1840) - Quartets for Strings & Guitar w/ Quartetto Paganini - change of pace from my 'Ancient Music' listening recently - Paganini wrote 15 Quartets for string trio + guitar, one of his other favorite instruments.  These works are certainly not 'masterpieces' but enjoyable and with much variety - the guitar is more in the background, so the strings usually predominate - a 5-disc package available likely as single CDs (there is a double) for those interested.  Dave :)

listener

Back on line....
MOZART:  Piano Concerto 25 in C  K.503      Fantasia in c (piano solo)  K.475
Ivan Moravec, piano    Czech Philharmonic Orch.   Josef Vlach, cond.
-   wonderful performances recorded in 1973

MENDELSSOHN
  6 Organ Sonatas  op. 65
Ullrich Böhme, Sauer Organ, Thomaskirche Leipzig
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Ken B

Adolf von Henselt 1814-1889
Etudes op 2 and op 5
Piers Lane

Between the 12 etudes here and the 12 in op 5, also on the disc, we get all 24 keys.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on April 19, 2019, 10:10:22 AM
Nielsen: Symphony No. 1 [Schonwandt]

This is a very fine, expansive performance with great power, vitality and drive. I particularly like the third movement.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot