Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Que

Easter Oratorio in the nicest edition of Herreweghe's Bach on Harmonia Mundi:

[asin]B003064CVY[/asin]
Q

vandermolen

Five Mystical Songs No.1 'Easter' plus the others - one of my favourite VW CDs for the combination of works and performances:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Bach CPE: Symphony in C major Wq. 174 & Symphony in D major Wq. 176 [Hogwood]

This is brisk and crisp music making. The music is not so much attacked but rather infused with vitality, even in the slow movements.

aligreto

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 [Konwitschny]

This is a robust, powerful and invigorating performance.

Biffo

Beethoven: String Quartet No 7 in F, Op 59 No 1 - Quartetto Italiano

Madiel

Debussy songs, another cluster...

...of which Les Elfes is undoubtedly the oddest. Or at least the one that sounds the least like what you expect Debussy to sound like.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Mozart: The Impresario [P. Walter]

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on April 21, 2019, 01:50:26 AM
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 [Konwitschny]

This is a robust, powerful and invigorating performance.

I read that orchestra members called him (behind his back) Konwhisky.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Schumann, Sommerruh WoO7.

An absolutely gorgeous duet.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Well, my loungeroom is pretty small but Easter Sunday seemed the best time to risk a first complete listen to Mahler's 2nd symphony.

Truth be told I often listen from around the corner at the computer or the kitchen.

TheGSMoeller

aligreto

Holst: The Planets [Ormandy]

The Ormandy performance is a very fine one overall and the highlights, for me, are a very smooth Venus, a very delicate Mercury and a very considered Saturn. There is also a strong interpretation of Uranus.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on April 21, 2019, 03:00:43 AM
I read that orchestra members called him (behind his back) Konwhisky.

That may indeed well account for the fire in his belly that enabled him to produce driven performances such as this.

ritter

First listen to Eugen Jochum's recording of J.S. Bach's Matthäus-Passion:

From the first measures, I already get the impression this is a wonderful recording... :)

From the big vocal and opera box:

[asin]B0766FLLJW[/asin]

Todd

The lullaby in the funeral march of the sonata alone makes this disc worth hearing.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Biffo

Purcell: Welcome Song for James II: Ye tuneful Muses raise your heads Z344 (1686) & various short pieces - The Sixteeen directed by Harry Christophers

HIPster

Good morning   :)

Starting off the day with an old favorite:

[asin]B000002SQ8[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

HIPster

Quote from: aligreto on April 21, 2019, 04:43:03 AM
Holst: The Planets [Ormandy]

The Ormandy performance is a very fine one overall and the highlights, for me, are a very smooth Venus, a very delicate Mercury and a very considered Saturn. There is also a strong interpretation of Uranus.

Nice!   ;)

That is a cool cover too.

So great to see you posting aligreto!   :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 20, 2019, 03:10:25 PM
Paganini, Nicolò (1782-1840) - Quartets for Strings & Guitar w/ Quartetto Paganini - change of pace from my 'Ancient Music' listening recently - Paganini wrote 15 Quartets for string trio + guitar, one of his other favorite instruments.  These works are certainly not 'masterpieces' but enjoyable and with much variety - the guitar is more in the background, so the strings usually predominate - a 5-disc package available likely as single CDs (there is a double) for those interested.  Dave :)

Pounds the table! Marvelous music! "A simple beauty which does not raises questions nor attempts to puzzle" (Charles Rosen with respect to Mendelssohn's Songs without Words --- yet equally valid for these Paganini works which really blew me away a few years ago).
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini