What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

I have been binging on Ashkenazy lately.  In love with this disk. The Gaspard is extremely fine.
[asin]B000PMFTCM[/asin]

From this set
[asin]B071FSG54X[/asin]
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 21, 2019, 07:16:07 PM
I have been binging on Ashkenazy lately.  In love with this disk. The Gaspard is extremely fine.
[asin]B000PMFTCM[/asin]

From this set
[asin]B071FSG54X[/asin]

Mmmmmmmmm pork chops ...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on April 21, 2019, 07:34:37 PM
Mmmmmmmmm pork chops ...

8) actually got this and the PC box for about a C note, combined. Am.De has(had?) them super cheap, and a while back they also had "buy-2-get-1-free." I couldn't resist.
It's all good...

Que

vandermolen

Quote from: HIPster on April 21, 2019, 05:21:01 PM
I followed your lead on this and ordered this set from Arkiv Music while it was on sale.  It's a really excellent set!

The Bruckner discs are very much to my liking.  :)

TD:

[asin]B075NWW7YV[/asin]

Superb performances!  The Finished - Unfinished Symphony is the edition put together by Mario Venzago.  Mostly MI, but period style percussion is utilized.

Sound is vivid and clear.

That Bruckner, Beethoven box looks interesting. Finally an overlap in our musical tastes Dave!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Madiel on April 21, 2019, 05:25:45 PM
Bridge, There is a Willow Grows Aslant a Brook

Bleak and moody music. Listening to Bridge in chronological order highlights that this has a similar tone to some of the piano pieces of the same period. But this is the first piece actually conceived for orchestra that he wrote in many, many years. There are some big ones to come.
That's a fine work from a great set. I especially like Enter Spring, Oration, The Sea and Phantasm but always fine Bridge's work of interest.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Haydn: Symphony No.101 "Clock".

Two great conductors from the same era and recording one of Haydn's most popular symphonies on the same label, I thought a comparison in order. This was Reiner's "swan song" his final recording made just two months before his death. Monteux with the Vienna Phil is a most attractive proposition and I enjoyed the performance without being swept away by it. But Reiner with an ad hoc orchestra in his iron grip took the "Clock" to another level. What a conductor!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

'Great Rock is Dead'

And now

'Odysseus on Ogygia: Prelude':

Along with Philip Spratley's 'Sinfonia Pascale' this is my favourite of the Toccata releases.

aligreto

A Scarlatti: Serenata A Filli [La Risonanza]

Wonderful instrumental and vocal performances in a wonderful recording.

aligreto

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 21, 2019, 05:10:01 PM

.... Incidentally the Fabulous Philadelphians under Ormandy recorded the complete score 15 yrs prior as in this LP but I cannot find a CD version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHWcHEMy-Q

Thank you for the link; interesting for comparison purposes.
Incidentally, I prefer the earlier version cover art.

Que

aligreto

Mozart: Symphony No. 41 [Gardiner]

A great work given a fine performance here.

Iota

Schumann:
Arabeske Op.18
Humoreske Op.20
Kreisleriana Op.16

Dasol Kim (piano)

Kim creates a special kind of magic in the Eusebian moments of the music, but excels pretty much everywhere. I very much hope he records more Schumann, a Fantaisie for example from him could be extraordinary I think.

Quote from: rickardg on April 19, 2019, 12:06:46 AM
I liked the pieces you mentioned (Haydn variations and Night's Music and the Chase from Out of Doors), but I also (and unexpectedly) liked the Say piece 'Black Earth'.

I haven't really heard enough of the competition to comment on Çakmur's relative merits, though...

He seems someone to whom intensity and focus come naturally, every note seems to have been pondered, which works very well on that disc I think. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for him.  :)

Madiel

I don't know how much of this I'm going to try, but...

Nørgård, Gilgamesh

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Nielsen: Symphony No. 3 [Leaper]

The aspect that I admire most in this first movement is the energy, drive and forward momentum of this performance. The performance is robust and the tension is palpable. In terms of the music, I really like the scoring. The slow movement has interesting scoring and musical language. These facets have a valid interpretation here. The third movement is marked by a pronounced staccato marking which is energetically executed. The tension filled tone of this performance is very captivating. The rich scoring of the final movement is very well demonstrated in a strong and assertive performance.

aligreto

Corcoran: Wind Quintet [Stuttgart Wind Quartet]

This is a beguiling work with a lean but inventive musical language. The work is discursive rather than argumentative. The textures are interesting throughout.

Traverso

Traverso

Fauré

CD 1

Sonata For Violin And Piano No.1 In A Major, Op.15   
Sonata For Violin And Piano No.2 In E Minor, Op.108   
Berceuse For Violin And Piano In D Major, Op.16
Romance For Violin And Piano In B Flat Major, Op.28
Morceau De Lecture A Vue For Violin And Piano
Sicilienne For Cello And Piano In G Minor, Op.78
Elegie For Cello And Piano In C Minor, Op.24
Elegie Pour Violoncelle Et Piano En Ut Mineur, Op.24

André

Quote from: vandermolen on April 22, 2019, 12:39:02 AM
'Great Rock is Dead'

And now

'Odysseus on Ogygia: Prelude':

Along with Philip Spratley's 'Sinfonia Pascale' this is my favourite of the Toccata releases.

Based on your recommendation I purchased both discs a few months ago, when the Toccata discs were on sale. I haven't listened to them yet, but will in due time  :).

aligreto

Symphony No. 8 [Jarvi]

The dark and brooding first movement is filled with tension. The atmosphere is heavy and I feel that a dark story is being told here. The pace and the tone are both increased and somewhat lightened respectively in the second movement. The mood remains ruminative however with many questions being asked. The third movement continues in the same vein as the previous two. The tension and drama are both continued and are both ably represented by the very fine orchestration. The opening harmonies of the final movement are wonderful and make for a very interesting sound world; one of discord and conflict. This feeling is developed and augmented by drama into a heightened sense which is ultimately dissipated at the conclusion of the work.