What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Que on May 19, 2019, 04:12:27 AM

Just put on the very same recording before Ieven checked this thread!   :D

Q

Excellent. I am sure that you thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mandryka

Christoph Bossert, WTC2, Ehrlich/Bad Wimpfen C18 subsequently enhanced, close to Kimberger II, first listen.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Walton
Violin Concerto
Kyung-Wha Chung, violin
André Previn, conductor
London Symphony Orchestra

Some interesting commentary from Gil Shaham about this concerto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-C9qxBU5Ec

I'll probably end up repeating this work again. I absolutely love it. One of the best VCs of the 20th Century. For me, right up there with Bartók's second, Sibelius, Barber, Stravinsky, Berg, and Shostakovich's first.

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: Five Variants of 'Dives and Lazarus' - London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Robert Schumann
March, op.76/2
Concert Studies on Caprices by Paganini, op.10/4–6
Novelette, op.21/1
Blumenstück
Nachtstücke

[asin]B00N9MWVVW[/asin]
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on May 19, 2019, 07:47:59 AM
Vaughan Williams: Five Variants of 'Dives and Lazarus' - London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley

Lovely stuff. One of RVW's finest works for strings.

aligreto

Roger Doyle: The Thousand Year Old Boy

The Thousand Year Old Boy: I like the vocal [boy soprano] and saxophone interludes in this work.
Gandharva: I like the sense of simplicity and innocence in this work. The vocal line, when it arrives, runs somewhat counter to this but this is an intriguing aspect of this work.
Apsara: I am not enamoured of this work on first listen. The concept is inherently good but it sounds too disjointed to my ear; like the work was badly edited i.e. without a seamless flow between episodes. Perhaps repeated listening will solve this problem for me.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 19, 2019, 07:33:03 AM
Walton
Violin Concerto
Kyung-Wha Chung, violin
André Previn, conductor
London Symphony Orchestra

I'll probably end up repeating this work again. I absolutely love it. One of the best VCs of the 20th Century.

I feel the same way. Especially love the Chung performance (and love that cover which decorates my music library):

I saw her and Previn perform this as part of an all Walton concert with the Cleveland Orchestra in 1972 (Facade and the First Symphony were also on the program). Walton himself was in the audience; took a bow at the end. Memorable evening at Severance Hall.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Artem

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 19, 2019, 08:07:28 AM
I feel the same way. Especially love the Chung performance (and love that cover which decorates my music library):

I saw her and Previn perform this as part of an all Walton concert with the Cleveland Orchestra in 1972 (Facade and the First Symphony were also on the program). Walton himself was in the audience; took a bow at the end. Memorable evening at Severance Hall.

Sarge

8) I bet that was a memorable concert, indeed. I love your music room by the way. I've seen this photo several times and it ceases to make drool, especially with all of those Ring boxes sitting on top of the shelf (and I'm not really a particularly huge Wagnerian).

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 19, 2019, 08:07:28 AM

Sarge

It's amazing to think that that whole marvelous 12-shelve stack of CDs and boxsets could easily fit in a hard disk whose size is less than a 100th of a single shelf.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto

Ina Boyle: Overture for Orchestra [Corp]

This short short work is my first introduction to the music of Boyle and I really like it. I liked the musical language, the scoring and the craftsmanship of the composition. I am going to pause listening here to savour.

Que

Quote from: Traverso on May 19, 2019, 06:04:06 AM
I made a new registration so I'm back.I recieved a friendly message that altered my mind. ;)

That's a relief, welcome back!  :)  :)

Q

Florestan

I made a new registration so I'm back.I recieved a friendly message that altered my mind. ;)

Whoever sent you that message did a splendid job! Welcome back and stay forever, you are among good friends here!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on May 19, 2019, 08:36:56 AM
Whoever sent you that message did a splendid job! Welcome back and stay forever, you are among good friends here!

Quote from: Que on May 19, 2019, 08:34:22 AM
That's a relief, welcome back!  :)  :)

Q

Well said gentlemen and I also add my hearty relief on the return of our friend  :)

Mandryka

Welcome back, I was worried. And here's a coincidence -- I listened to that CD yesterday. I'm Red Byrd's greatest fan at the moment.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on May 19, 2019, 08:41:04 AM

Well said gentlemen and I also add my hearty relief on the return of our friend  :)

It makes me embarrassed, but it feels good nonetheless. ;)

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on May 19, 2019, 08:57:16 AM
Welcome back, I was worried. And here's a coincidence -- I listened to that CD yesterday. I'm Red Byrd's greatest fan at the moment.

I also cherish there Thomas Tomkins recording on Naxos

Traverso

Beethoven

Brendel is a person with a good sense of humor,wit and the necessary ability to make crazy faces,I like Brendel for being human.

Pianosonatas 30-31 & 32

SonicMan46

McEwen, John Blackwood (1868-1948) - String Quartets & Orchestral Works w/ performers on the cover art - my entire McEwen collection and not much more available on Amazon; only 11 Fanfare entries - but apparently quite prolific (beginning of his Wiki article quoted below - also includes a list of his compositions for those interested).  Dave :)

QuoteSir John Blackwood McEwen (13 April 1868 – 14 June 1948) was a Scottish classical composer and educator. He was professor of harmony and composition at the Royal Academy of Music, London, from 1898 to 1924, and principal from 1924 to 1936. He was a prolific composer, but made few efforts to bring his music to the notice of the general public. (Source)