What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Symphony 5 (Kletzki):
Fabulously gripping performance:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 19, 2019, 10:05:54 AM
McEwen, John Blackwood (1868-1948) - String Quartets & Orchestral Works w/ performers on the cover art - my entire McEwen collection and not much more available on Amazon; only 11 Fanfare entries - but apparently quite prolific (beginning of his Wiki article quoted below - also includes a list of his compositions for those interested).  Dave :)

I really like the CD of orchestral music and the Border Ballads on a different Chandos CD, especially 'Grey Galloway'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 [Abravanel]

There is good tension in the performance of the first movement. The main theme is wonderfully played with the brass offering a very good account of themselves when called upon. The slow movement is a noble performance with good poise. There is great weight in the performance of the final movement with the brass, once again, standing out.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on May 19, 2019, 08:59:18 AM
It makes me embarrassed, but it feels good nonetheless. ;)

That is fine but do not leave again; you are too valued a member to lose my friend  ;)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

listener

new from jpc
Ostdeutsche Orgelromantik -  music by RITTER, MERKEL, FORCHHAMMER, REIMANN
good set of notes with it
Christoph Keggenhoff, Röver Organ from 1903 in the Bonifatiuskirche Ditfurk
and used from Sikoras here before they closed:  George LLOYD  Symphony no.5 in Bb
BBC Philharmonic O.,  Lloyd conducting
getting a key signature in a 20th century work's title is reassuring.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Traverso

Schumann & Brahms

Carnaval op.9
Faschingsswank aus Wien op.26
Ballades op.10

Exciting music from Schumann and played by Michelangeli, do I need to say more.......
Yes I have, The Brahms Ballades are spellbinding

Kontrapunctus

Meh...I'll stick with Bach, Reger, Ysaÿe, and Bartok for solo violin works.

Brian

Quote from: Daverz on May 17, 2019, 11:28:45 PM

Th

[asin]B07MWR2Y8M[/asin]

And a fantastic Brahms concerto from Tianwa Yang:

[asin]B07PQTXDF3[/asin]
Daverz,
Any added comments on these, I'd be interested to read. :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Florestan on May 19, 2019, 08:31:45 AM
It's amazing to think that that whole marvelous 12-shelve stack of CDs and boxsets could easily fit in a hard disk whose size is less than a 100th of a single shelf.  ;D

Yes, technology has certainly advanced and miniaturized in a short space of time. But you know, picking up my hard drives, and looking at them, just doesn't give me the same pleasure ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

aligreto

Nielsen: Symphony No. 5 [Leaper]

This is a wonderful performance. There is a definite difference to the flavour of this version in terms of its interpretation of the work. It is quite unsettling and even somewhat more menacing than others with a nice bite to the lower register strings. This pervasive sense of menace prevails and is maintained throughout the performance of the first movement. The second section of the first movement is gloriously played and the orchestra demonstrates its ability to switch moods easily and effectively. I think that this performance more than holds its own with other versions perhaps even adding another interpretive dimension to the work. This interpretation I feel strives for a more coherent and positive resolution in the second movement where the string playing is very fine as is the brass and there is no doubt that it concludes with a glorious, positive disposition. The third movement is a somewhat buoyant and very engaging affair with those strings which have the dual role at first in full song once again and subsequently as the dark, menacing harbinger. They are ably assisted by those poised woodwinds. The final movement has a noble, poised beginning and the mood and tone rise to high levels of atmosphere and emotion with a fine conclusion.

aligreto

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 19, 2019, 11:55:13 AM
Yes, technology has certainly advanced and miniaturized in a short space of time. But you know, picking up my hard drives, and looking at them, just doesn't give me the same pleasure ;)

Sarge

Definitely Old School, Sarge, but amen to that.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 19, 2019, 08:07:28 AM
I feel the same way. Especially love the Chung performance (and love that cover which decorates my music library):

I saw her and Previn perform this as part of an all Walton concert with the Cleveland Orchestra in 1972 (Facade and the First Symphony were also on the program). Walton himself was in the audience; took a bow at the end. Memorable evening at Severance Hall.

Sarge

Superbly cool, Sarge!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 19, 2019, 10:05:54 AM
McEwen, John Blackwood (1868-1948) - String Quartets & Orchestral Works w/ performers on the cover art - my entire McEwen collection and not much more available on Amazon; only 11 Fanfare entries - but apparently quite prolific (beginning of his Wiki article quoted below - also includes a list of his compositions for those interested).  Dave :)

McEwen's cycle of string quartets is quite remarkable (17 in total from memory...?) and it was a great sorrow that the Chilingirians/Chandos never completed their cycle.....  No.7 'Threnody' is one  of the great British quartets of that period and one of the very few chamber works to be written explicitly 'in memoriam' of WW1.

listener

another of the new Tactus discs from jpc
Luigi De GRASSI  (1760-1831):  6 Organ Sonatas
Manuel Tomadin, , organ of the Chiesa Parrochiale di S.Stefano
Undemanding 3-movement works using a lot of Alberti bass in the left hand.
The 1857/1977 organ is much less asthmatic-sounding than many other Italian one I've heard.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

SonicMan46

Quote from: vandermolen on May 19, 2019, 10:29:07 AM
I really like the CD of orchestral music and the Border Ballads on a different Chandos CD, especially 'Grey Galloway'.

Hi Vandermolen - I was perusing the McEwen Amazon USA offerings not in my collection - the 3 below piqued my interest, including the one you mentioned (received a good Fanfare review; the piano disc not so much; also the Violin Sonatas had an outstanding review from MusicWeb - attached) - so might consider obtaining the 'Three Border Ballads' & the 'Violin Sonatas', depending on the pricing?  Thanks for your comments - Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Just ordered the 2 CDs mentioned as 'used' discs on the Amazon USA MP - $20 USD total!

Daverz

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 19, 2019, 08:07:28 AM
I feel the same way. Especially love the Chung performance (and love that cover which decorates my music library):

Reminds me a bit of my nieces bedroom wall covered with posters of KPOP boy bands.  8)

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on May 19, 2019, 11:51:05 AM
Daverz,
Any added comments on these, I'd be interested to read. :)

I'll admit that I wasn't playing that close attention in the Chausson disc, and not trying to follow along to the French in the Poeme.  Gens seems very good here.  My usual goto for the Chausson is the Munch, and this does not quite have his robustness.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Daverz on May 19, 2019, 02:12:21 PM
Reminds me a bit of my nieces bedroom wall covered with posters of KPOP boy bands.  8)

;D :D ;D

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"