What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 23, 2019, 08:19:10 AM
Great, vibrant music!
Indeed. This recent homage to Boulez at the Monday Evening Concerts in LA, reviewed here, was rather aptly titled « Élégance Brutale »  :). BTW, can anyone spot the journalist's lapsus memoriae in the text?  ;D

Good day to you, cher baron.

SonicMan46

McEwen, John (1868-1948) - Violin Sonatas w/ Charlier & Tozer - just arrived 'used' CD w/ pristine surface - excellent MusicWeb Review, for those interested.

Rubbra, Edmund (1901-1986) - Symphonies w/ Richard Hickox and the BBC NO of Wales; MusicWeb Reviews of the individual discs included in the 5-CD ' double jewel box' - starting w/ the first two discs today.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
Symphony in C, K.200
Symphony in A, K.201
Symphony in D, K.202
RCO
Harnoncourt
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 [Rosbaud]

The opening movement is a very lyrical, buoyant affair with an added touch of poignancy in there too. The strings are full and rich in the meditative second movement which yields up a wonderfully atmospheric presence. The third movement is a very exciting affair and it is given a strong, exuberant  performance here. The Final movement is very interesting for its sonic textures which are very well presented here.

André

Bach cantatas, vol 8. Ridiculously short timing for a 2 cd set (78 minutes), but since these now sell for a song on the marketplace, I can't complain. Bach had an incredible capacity to reinvent himself.

André

Quote from: aligreto on May 23, 2019, 10:40:58 AM
Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 [Rosbaud]

The opening movement is a very lyrical, buoyant affair with an added touch of poignancy in there too. The strings are full and rich in the meditative second movement which yields up a wonderfully atmospheric presence. The third movement is a very exciting affair and it is given a strong, exuberant  performance here. The Final movement is very interesting for its sonic textures which are very well presented here.

Many years ago, when considering a first ever purchase of the 7th symphony I hesitated between that Rosbaud LP (which I now have a cd of) and this one, by Schuricht - which I bought:

They are very different interpretations, Rosbaud's classical, apollonian vision to Schuricht's intense, bluff and burly  interpretation.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on May 23, 2019, 10:54:48 AM
Bach cantatas, vol 8. Ridiculously short timing for a 2 cd set (78 minutes), but since these now sell for a song on the marketplace, I can't complain. Bach had an incredible capacity to reinvent himself.

How often do you see "AAD." One of the very early CD releases that duplicated Vol 8 of the LP series. In those days CDs were limited to 72 minutes. Amazing how value per price has improved.

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
Symphony in D, K.297
Symphony in Bb, K.319
Symphony in C, K.338
RCO
Harnoncourt
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 23, 2019, 11:32:49 AM
"Wolferl"
Symphony in D, K.297
Symphony in Bb, K.319
Symphony in C, K.338
RCO
Harnoncourt

I think you're overdosing on Wolfgang Amadeus!  :o

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 23, 2019, 11:37:43 AM
I think you're overdosing on Wolfgang Amadeus!  :o

It is my profound conviction that Mozart is the highest, the culminating point which beauty has reached in the sphere of music. Nobody has made me cry and thrill with joy, sensing my proximity to something that we call the ideal, in the way that he has....

--- Пётр Ильи́ч
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Kontrapunctus

Florestan

Chopin - Variations on La ci darem la mano

Recorded live, and I was in attendance.  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2019, 11:41:12 AM
It is my profound conviction that Mozart is the highest, the culminating point which beauty has reached in the sphere of music. Nobody has made me cry and thrill with joy, sensing my proximity to something that we call the ideal, in the way that he has....

--- Пётр Ильи́ч
A tad cursi, good old Пётр Ильи́ч, no?  ;)

Good evening, Andrei,

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2019, 11:58:23 AM

Chopin - Variations on La ci darem la mano

Recorded live, and I was in attendance.  8)

She played Op. 10/3 as encore.

Here's Paderewski's take:

https://www.youtube.com/v/kvvlOSmHDF4

Florestan

Quote from: ritter link=topic=21492.msg1217613#msg1217613 date=155864338
Good evening,
b]Andrei[/b],

Buenas noches, Rafael!

A tad cursi, good old Пётр Ильи́ч, no?  ;)

No! Don Pedro, hijo de Elias was spot on, I agree with him 150%:

QuoteMozart is the highest, the culminating point which beauty has reached in the sphere of music.

Amen!

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2019, 12:30:10 PM
She played Op. 10/3 as encore.

I saw Op. 10/3 and thought Beethoven. That's some encore! But, oh, Chopin, nevermind.

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 23, 2019, 12:50:38 PM
I saw Op. 10/3 and thought Beethoven. That's some encore! But, oh, Chopin, nevermind.

:D

Now that you got me started, though, take that:

Compared to Chopin, Beethoven is a semibarbaric nature whose great soul has been badly educated so that it had never learned to distinguish clearly between the sublime and the adventurous, between the simple and what was mediocre and in bad taste. --- Nietzsche

:laugh:

SonicMan46

Robert de Visée (c. 1655-1732/33) - Suites et al w/ period instruments (as listed on the back of the 4-CD jewel box) - from his Wiki bio, he 'was a lutenist, guitarist, theorboist and viol player at the court of the French kings Louis XIV and Louis XV, as well as a singer and composer for lute, theorbo and guitar.'  Apparently, one of his duties was to put the Sun king to sleep w/ his guitar playing - delightful music.  Dave :)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2019, 12:59:55 PM
:D

Now that you got me started, though, take that:

Compared to Chopin, Beethoven is a semibarbaric nature whose great soul has been badly educated so that it had never learned to distinguish clearly between the sublime and the adventurous, between the simple and what was mediocre and in bad taste. --- Nietzsche

:laugh:

This is the same Nietzsche that was seen conversing with the hindquarters of an ass that he had mistaken for Richard Wagner? :)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on May 23, 2019, 06:30:11 AM
I found the von der Goltz Bach partitas on streaming and tried Partita No. 3. Really, really enjoyed it. Cheers, Jens and Scarpia...will definitely listen to the rest.

Now, my favorite Sibelius 2 (and yes, I know this is an eccentric choice!):

I'm a big fan of Paray/Detroit, but I've not heard that recording. I should, including the Dvorak coupling.

von der Goltz is on my wishlist, but I decided to listen to this other recording I've had for a few years, Amandine Beyer.

[asin]B005H3HXQE[/asin]

Just superb. The fast bits play themselves (well, if you have the technique) but I love the way she shapes the slow movements, particularly the double, triple, quadruple stopping. (Well, based on listening to Sonata 1 and Partita 1). Very fine!