What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

I have also been working my way through the Thomson RVW cycle but not systematically. Earlier in the day I listened to some of the fill-ups - Fantasia on Greensleeves, Partita, Towards the Unknown Region and the Oboe Concerto.

The main event has been the Pastoral Symphony and the first slight disappointment. The first movement has more than a hint of Ravel but lacks the hushed intensity of Previn or Boult. In the second movement the distant (too distant?) bugler lacks a hint of melancholy though beautifully played. Bryden is on top form in the Finale with the soprano ideally placed and beautifully sung and the LSO sounds magnificent.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on May 26, 2019, 06:10:20 AM
I have also been working my way through the Thomson RVW cycle but not systematically. Earlier in the day I listened to some of the fill-ups - Fantasia on Greensleeves, Partita, Towards the Unknown Region and the Oboe Concerto.

The main event has been the Pastoral Symphony and the first slight disappointment. The first movement has more than a hint of Ravel but lacks the hushed intensity of Previn or Boult. In the second movement the distant (too distant?) bugler lacks a hint of melancholy though beautifully played. Bryden is on top form in the Finale with the soprano ideally placed and beautifully sung and the LSO sounds magnificent.

I concur about Thomson's Pastoral --- the last movement (my favorite of the symphony anyway) is incredibly well-played and passionate. I thought the other movements didn't hang together as well. Previn's is still the one to best for sure.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf [Hughes/Rippon]

A bit of fun.

Todd

Good.  Glad I didn't spend money on the box.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on May 26, 2019, 06:08:59 AM
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 [Fricsay]

This is a robust and quite assertive opening movement. It is filled with passion, drama and intensity in its deliverance. The second movement is a typically graceful and captivating Tchaikovskian waltz which is very effectively executed. The third movement is an exciting, driven and somewhat agitated performance. The sombre and bleak mood of the final movement is greatly enhanced by the quality of the tone of the string section ably aided by the glorious brass. This is a very fine interpretation and performance of this work.
A legendary performance - one of the best.

Thread duty:
Symphony 5. Best performance of Bax's most integrated symphony (like VW's 5th Symphony dedicated to Sibelius) along with Leppard's magnificent version on Lyrita.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2019, 06:22:03 AM
I concur about Thomson's Pastoral --- the last movement (my favorite of the symphony anyway) is incredibly well-played and passionate. I thought the other movements didn't hang together as well. Previn's is still the one to best for sure.

I happened to listen to this performance last week and I had 2 abiding thoughts.... 1) I think this is RVW's most original and most powerful symphony of all - a genuine work of individual genius and 2) I felt the Chandos sound/recording did not 'support' the mood of the work... too literal.  But I rather liked Thomson's quite weighty/earthy approach and I also thought Yvonne Kenny's voice suited the off-stage soprano part very well.

SonicMan46

Vaughan Williams, Ralph (1872-1958) - own mainly his chamber works, plus symphonies x2 (Previn & Haitink) - first up for the morning, the 3 recordings below ('Early Chamber Music' a 2-disc set).  Dave :)

Traverso

Mozart

Symphony No.29, from childhood on I cherish this symphony.

I have so many fine recordings from these symphonies but these ones with dear Otto remain very attractive to me.

Artem

Todd

I freely admit that the marketing worked.  The sight of a pretty young blonde perched on a tree caught my eye, and the core rep or near core rep mixed recital looked nice.  An Amazon Add-on price made it a must buy.  Ms Gerl and her cohorts play up her prettiness in the booklet, though they repeat some shots, but that's secondary, at best.  The disc reveals Ms Gerl to have some real talent.  Starting with robust and playful Mendelssohn, moving to ravishing and technically dazzling Liszt, then to uncommonly attractive DSCH, the disc starts strong.  Chabrier's Bouree Fantasque ends up a real treat.  Gerl's version is different than Kyriakou, Strosser, or Cole.  As technically polished as the last two, Gerl ends up playing with greater flexibility and color.  It's something of an ear opener.  More fine Mendelssohn follows, as does a delightful Debussy L'isle joyeuse.  Then comes the Schubert.  First is the Liszt transcription of Der Wanderer, which is superbly lyrical.  Second is D760.  Gerl goes for the large-scale, quasi-symphonic approach.  She plays everything without seeming to strain in the least.  Her piano sound is just fantastic throughout.  Superb sonics.  Ms Gerl must record more.  This disc is quite the find; it is discs like this that keep me collecting and searching for new artists.

(Also, Bonn born Ms Gerl did a portion of her studying at the University of Fairbanks.  This is the second time I've read about Fairbanks and classical music in the past month or so.  WTF?)

Brian

Todd, I had a dream last night that I went to a concert and you were the pianist (!) in Saint-Saens' Second Concerto (hah!). You made all sorts of bizarre decisions, like having the piano be way far on the stage left edge, and you had the world's tiniest drum next to you to play the first (orchestral, pizzicato) note of the scherzo. Then I noticed that your hands and the sound of the music didn't line up and went "Hey! This is a dream!" and woke up.

Also you had a boxy haircut and glasses like a Columbo villain.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 26, 2019, 10:32:21 AM
Todd, I had a dream last night that I went to a concert and you were the pianist (!) in Saint-Saens' Second Concerto (hah!). You made all sorts of bizarre decisions, like having the piano be way far on the stage left edge, and you had the world's tiniest drum next to you to play the first (orchestral, pizzicato) note of the scherzo. Then I noticed that your hands and the sound of the music didn't line up and went "Hey! This is a dream!" and woke up.

Also you had a boxy haircut and glasses like a Columbo villain.

(My glasses are too contemporary for Columbo and, alas, I don't have the right type of hair, or enough of it, for a boxy haircut.)

Kontrapunctus

The playing and sound more than make up for the lackluster cover.

Traverso

Hindemith & Humperdinck

Nobilissima visione
Hänsel und Gretel - overture & Dream Pantomine

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 26, 2019, 08:36:53 AM
I happened to listen to this performance last week and I had 2 abiding thoughts.... 1) I think this is RVW's most original and most powerful symphony of all - a genuine work of individual genius and 2) I felt the Chandos sound/recording did not 'support' the mood of the work... too literal.  But I rather liked Thomson's quite weighty/earthy approach and I also thought Yvonne Kenny's voice suited the off-stage soprano part very well.

Thomson's RVW cycle is exemplary, but I haven't heard A Pastoral Symphony in quite some time, so perhaps I more or less was trying to find my way into the music again, which, perhaps, is why I didn't give Thomson completely high marks.

Thread duty -

Arnold
Guitar Concerto, Op. 67
Eduardo Fernández (guitar)
English Chamber Orchestra
Barry Wordsworth, conductor

aligreto

Rachmaninov: Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom [Minin]

This is a rich, profound and very rewarding listening experience. The performance is very contemplative and atmospheric and is always most understated and engaging. It has the requisite gravitas, intensity and presence for this most powerful work. The choir sing with passion and conviction.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2019, 08:34:05 AM

A legendary performance - one of the best.

A very fine performance indeed and highly recommended.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on May 26, 2019, 09:35:29 AM
Mozart

Symphony No.29, from childhood on I cherish this symphony.

I have so many fine recordings from these symphonies but these ones with dear Otto remain very attractive to me.

Yes, Symphony No. 29 is also a very dear favourite of mine. I share your joy in this work.

Todd

The anti-Volodos.  Superb for what it is.  Fine transfers.