Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

A London Symphony - an excellent performance:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I think I'm done with British music for awhile...a little goes a long way with these composers I'm afraid...

Thread duty -

Debussy
Études
Momo Kodama, piano

Breathtakingly gorgeous work. Certainly one of my favorites from Debussy (my numero uno).

SymphonicAddict

I'm really impressed how tastes change over the time. I remember not liking these symphonies, but now, they make much more sense to me. I can find enjoyment in them, and I rather like that gray atmosphere they depict.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2019, 08:34:05 AM
Thread duty:
Symphony 5. Best performance of Bax's most integrated symphony (like VW's 5th Symphony dedicated to Sibelius) along with Leppard's magnificent version on Lyrita.

Indeed, the Thomson performance sounds more epic than others. It's my 2nd favorite after the No. 1, also performed by Thomson on Chandos.

Todd

As sort of prep work for Lucchesini's upcoming Schubert twofer, I popped for the high res download of this disc.  I had previously streamed via my phone, but proper listening yielded even better results - and results were fantastic before.  The proper sound and playback gear yielded entirely more satisfying Scarlatti, with ample rhythmic swagger.  And Lucchesini owns Berio's music.  (Literally in the case of the pieces written for the pianist and his wife as a wedding present.)  It would take someone of the stature of YES or Volodos or Anderszewski to challenge Lucchesini here.

But the Schubert, well, that is what I really wanted.  The Moments Musicaux are sublime, on par with any recordings out there.  In the case of the Air russe, I am hard pressed to think of a better version.  The Widmann works are better than expected, too.  Lucchesini alternates between Scarlatti and Berio to start, and Schubert and Widmann to end, and some may dislike this approach, but it works fantastically well.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

André

Sibelius symphony no 4, multiple versions. Comments in the Sibelius 4 thread.

JBS

Finishing this set  today. At the moment,  PC 23 K488

This was one of the bargains I got from Arkivmusic's Warner clearance. It was worth the price I paid, but I am not sure if it is worth more than that. Sound is sometimes too dry or too compressed, interpretations very mainstream, and KV 503 is split between two CDs. Nothing seriously wrong with it, but nothing is seriously outstanding, either.
I have Engel's Mozart sonata cycle awaiting its turn in the listening pile.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Enescu
Piano Suites Nos. 1-3
Luiza Borac, piano

Mandryka

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on May 26, 2019, 10:57:46 AM
The playing and sound more than make up for the lackluster cover.

There's another Partita 6 he recorded on the same label, celestial harmonies, it's part of a live concert. In my opinion it's one of the great modern piano Bach recordings. The whole concert is inspired (Debussy, Chopin) The one on your CD I can't remember.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on May 26, 2019, 01:11:04 PM

The anti-Volodos.  Superb for what it is.  Fine transfers.

The intermezzi are so fast and non-nostalgic and so different (I think) from his other recordings, I wonder what was going on. But yes, it is anti-Volodos and it is superb in its way.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 26, 2019, 01:19:00 PM
Vaughan Williams Flos Campi, Hickox conducting the Northern Sinfonia

Sarge
What do you think of Riders to the Sea Sarge?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 26, 2019, 02:51:54 PM

I'm really impressed how tastes change over the time. I remember not liking these symphonies, but now, they make much more sense to me. I can find enjoyment in them, and I rather like that gray atmosphere they depict.
Once again were in agreement Cesar although Symphony 4 is my favourite by Kokkonen.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 26, 2019, 02:53:50 PM
Indeed, the Thomson performance sounds more epic than others. It's my 2nd favorite after the No. 1, also performed by Thomson on Chandos.
Yes, indeed. I think my order of favourite Bax symphonies would be 3 and 5 together in first place followed by 4 and 1 together and then 7 and 2 together and then 6. However, as in the VW symphonies ,I love them all!

Thread duty:
Symphony 8

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Mandryka on May 26, 2019, 08:33:18 PM
There's another Partita 6 he recorded on the same label, celestial harmonies, it's part of a live concert. In my opinion it's one of the great modern piano Bach recordings. The whole concert is inspired (Debussy, Chopin) The one on your CD I can't remember.
Thanks for the tip--I just ordered that live recording.

vandermolen

Requiem:

Harry

Early morning listening.
New acquisition. First listen.
Sotto L'Imperio del Possente Prince, Hommage music of the 14th and early 15th century
Ensemble Perlaro, Lorenza Donadini.
Recorded in 2008.

A gem, a kaleidoscope of the fine music composed in that time, and well performed and recorded too! I especially like the compositions by Giovanni Firenze and Francesco Landini. The poetic beauty in music and text is mesmerizing. I virtually feel transported to the 14 and 15th century, such impact has the music.
Much recommended.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Musica Reservata

The music of this CD comes from this box

Harry

New acquisition. First listen.
Venezia Stravagantissima, Balli, Canzone e Madrigali, 1550-1630
Capriccio Stravagante, Renaissance Orchestra, Skip Sempe.
Alpha recording, November 2001.

I incline to agree with all the positive reviews I read about this extraordinary recording. Quite spectacular in its expression. Sempe creates a fine balance in the music, and gives an insight into the musical structure rarely heard. Sound is superb.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."