What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Currently listening to:

Prokofiev, The Meeting of the Volga and the Don op.130

Music to celebrate the construction of a canal. Prokofiev's enthusiasm for the commission shines through every bar...  :-X
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Boulez

Pli Selon Pli  1969 EMI studios London

fascinating music

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Sergeant Rock

Listening to three superb works by Morton Gould: Show Piece for Orchestra (1954), the Piano Concerto (1938) and the Pulitzer Prize winning StringMusic (1994).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Morton Gould Cowboy Rhapsody (1943)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on July 11, 2019, 03:15:07 AM
The Ashkenazy/Previn performance of the piano version is the only one I know, but it's mindblowing. One of my favourite discs.

What a great duo.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on July 11, 2019, 03:16:08 AM
Currently listening to:

Prokofiev, The Meeting of the Volga and the Don op.130

Music to celebrate the construction of a canal. Prokofiev's enthusiasm for the commission shines through every bar...  :-X

That is one of the relatively few Prokofiev works which I have not brought myself to hear.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

Bach: Sonates pour flûte et clavecin

[asin]B077PP5G6G[/asin]

Enregistrement réalisé du 19 au 23 septembre 2016 à Haarlem (Pays-Bas)

Instruments:
Marc Hantaï
Flûte traversière : Rudolf Tutz, 2013, d'après I.H. Rottenburgh
Pierre Hantaï
Clavecin : Atelier William Dowd Paris 1984 et Bruce Kennedy Amsterdam 1994, d'après Michael Mietke, Berlin 1702.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

cilgwyn

String Quartet No 1. Lots of slithery sounds,from the strings. I think he as his best in his piano & chamber music. This is going down very nicely after allot of hectic,rushing around,in town! I like this one. There's a nice variety of textures,and atmosphere,in the five movements. The scherzo is a lively,Irish reel. :) I like the use of,old posters,on the,early,Dutton cd's. I remember thinking they were flowers,at first glance!

bhodges

Browsing YouTube for Yuja Wang in Ligeti Etudes, which she does superbly. Here's a great sample, No. 10, "Der Zauberlehrling" (The Sorcerer's Apprentice):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aglprO-gNJA

--Bruce

listener

Two 20th Century composers to start the day
Walter PISTON:  Flute Quintet, String Sextet, Piano Quartet and Piano Quintet
Performers from the 1999 Australian Festival of Chamber Music

Cristóbal HALFFTER
Planto por las víctmas de la violencia
Pourquoi (string orchestra)    Fractal  (Saxophone quartet)    Canción Callada in memoriam F. Mompou
Fantasia sobre una sonoridad de G.F. Haendel
Assorted groups of performers
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

Sonatas by Clementi (Mastroprimiano), piano trios by Haydn (van Swieten Trio) and a bevy of concertos by Vivaldi with Giuliano Carmignola.

cilgwyn

The Hickox recording is my first stop,for this symphony,these days! I do like this classic account,as well,though. Oh,and Henry Wood's! Nice photo. Nit picking,I know ;D;but it would have been nicer if they'd let you see more of it! I like the Hickox best,though. I think this symphony is,even better,with the bits that got removed!  I'm no expert on this,I'll admit. Just thinking about the different versions makes my head spin!! ??? ::) I downloaded the Goossen's recording from somewhere,the other day. I believe that's a bit different,as well?!!!

Kontrapunctus

Mandryka

Barbara Thornton does something here which is exceptional, she takes a monophonic a cappella song in a language I don't understand, a song which does not have a catchy memorable melody à la Schubert, and she holds my attention for the duration, which is about 7 minutes. Only a great singer can do that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

Sonatas 2, 11 and 14. Superb.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 11, 2019, 03:56:15 AM
Listening to three superb works by Morton Gould: Show Piece for Orchestra (1954), the Piano Concerto (1938) and the Pulitzer Prize winning StringMusic (1994).

Sarge
Oh,don't tempt me!! ::) ;D I find myself warming,increasingly,to Morton Gould these days. I was impressed by his third symphony;and I share kyjo's enthusiasm for No 2! (The performances on the Albany label are excellent) I also like his Copland-esque Fall River Legend,very much,in it's suite form (Hanson's recording is superb) and the complete version;available on the,late lamented,Koch label,complete with a,very interesting,conversation between Gould,and the choreographer,in her home;which I thought might be boring,but actually enjoyed. I do wish someone would release the recording of his Latin American Symphonette,on the Varese Sarabande Lp,with the LSO conducted by Gould. It was an early digital Lp,with stunning yellow Aztec artwork,embossed,on the front!  The sound quality was sensational;as was the thrilling performance. (One of those Lp's that had fun warnings,about the risk of it blowing up your system,or speakers! (it didn't! :( ;D) ) I like the piece;but all the other recordings I have heard pale by comparison

Christo

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 11, 2019, 09:36:51 AM
The Hickox recording is my first stop,for this symphony,these days! I do like this classic account,as well,though. Oh,and Henry Wood's! Nice photo. Nit picking,I know ;D;but it would have been nicer if they'd let you see more of it! I like the Hickox best,though. I think this symphony is,even better,with the bits that got removed!  I'm no expert on this,I'll admit. Just thinking about the different versions makes my head spin!! ??? ::) I downloaded the Goossen's recording from somewhere,the other day. I believe that's a bit different,as well?!!!

To paraphrase a famous dialogue between RVW's teacher Stanford and the young composer: > 'Damnably ugly, my boy, why do you make such things?' 'Because I like them.' 'But you can't like them, they're not music.' 'I shouldn't make them if I didn't like them.' So the argument went on and there was no time left for any constructive criticism. <  (RVW's essay A Musical Autobiography, from 1950).   8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

cilgwyn

Quote from: kyjo on July 09, 2019, 06:33:32 AM
I recently discovered Gould's Concerto for Orchesta on the below Albany CD and really enjoyed it - an invigorating, rhythmic, fun, quintessentially American work. I also recall enjoying his 2nd Symphony which, rather unusually, ends with a somber, almost Shostakovichian slow movement.

[asin]B0032BXPBA[/asin]
More temptation!!! :o :(