What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on July 11, 2019, 11:37:33 AM
Op.130/133. Superb.

I also enjoyed the Artemis Quartet's recordings of Beethoven.  Nice to see another fan.

Kontrapunctus

Wonderful playing and sound.

Traverso

Bach

Suite No.2

I remember so vividly that I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty of this suite,the elegant dances,the tender traverso,it felt like coming into paradise.My first recording was with the Münchener Bach-Orchester and Karl Richter

Traverso

Music in Versailles

Marais  "La Sonnerie"
d'Anglebert  prélude in D minor
Marais Tombeau de Mr de Sainte-Colombe

This recording is a classic,La Sonnerie and one of the most beautiful pieces ever written for the clavecin by d'Anglebert

Harry

En la última Destreza.
Francisco Guerau, Complete Works for Guitar.

CD II.

Xavier Diaz-Latorre, Guitar.
5 course guitars made by Julio Castano.

As CD I, this is a joy listening to. Latorre is a thoughtful performer, who digs out all the musical details that makes it so. It is well recorded, and the guitars by Julio Castano makes the sound of this era complete.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Bach

Goldberg Variations

Gustav Leonhardt

Harry

Georges Onslow, String Quintets, volume II.
Nos. 10 & 22.

Elan Quintet.

These recordings need no praise, they are beyond reproach, such is the quality of music, recording and performance.

Traverso

Beethoven

piano concertos 1 & 2

Harry

Eduard Franck, String sextets in E flat major & D major.

Edinger Quartett.

Very cultivated music, and he is indeed a master of polyphony, and as an added bonus his chamber works are almost of orchestral proportions.
Very good performance and recording.

SimonNZ

Not sure why I so seldom play Leonhardt '65. Today's listen was lovely, and sometimes 47 minutes of no repeats is all that's required.

Madiel

My plan for the rest of the evening is to alternate between songs (piano/vocal) and solo piano, with where I'm up to for various composers and my listening projects...

I'll add them to this post as I get through them. Not sure if I'll stay awake for all 8 things I've pulled out.

1. Schumann, Sechs Gedichte und Requiem, op.90 (Schäfer, Johnson) - not hard to hear why this is one of the later Schumann song collections that has a place in the repertoire. Gorgeous, although some of it seems clearly intended for a male singer.

2. Scriabin, Prelude and Nocturne for the left hand, op.9 (Lettberg)

3. Shostakovich, Satires op.109 (Evtodieva, Serov) - the composer found poetry to match his bitter humour and tackles it with relish. Just one of the features is that each song begins with the title being sung.

4. Sibelius, Valse Lyrique and Valse Chevaleresque from op.96 (Mertanen) - the 2 pieces in the opus that were written for piano originally.

And I think I'll save the rest for another time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Traverso on July 12, 2019, 12:32:41 AM
Bach

Goldberg Variations

Gustav Leonhardt

Love when that happens. I have that in my player now (Actually, I have a 5 disk carousel, so it finished playing a bit ago, but still quite a coincidence :) )

Now playing this:
[asin]B000B7G0T2[/asin]
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Geminiani
Concerti grossi
La Petite Bande
Kuijken
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

HIPster

Quote from: Traverso on July 11, 2019, 11:27:58 PM
Bach

Suite No.2

I remember so vividly that I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty of this suite,the elegant dances,the tender traverso,it felt like coming into paradise.My first recording was with the Münchener Bach-Orchester and Karl Richter

Excellent, Traverso;)

That Richter recording was my introduction to the suites as well.  The La Petite Bande recording remains a favorite of mine today.

I'll join you in some Bach listening:

[asin]B00575MDL2[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

HIPster

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 12, 2019, 03:12:43 AM

Not sure why I so seldom play Leonhardt '65. Today's listen was lovely, and sometimes 47 minutes of no repeats is all that's required.

Indeed!   :)

I'm glad to see also playing one of my favorite Haydn discs.  Pulling that one out for a spin later on.  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Traverso

Quote from: Mookalafalas on July 12, 2019, 04:35:05 AM
  Love when that happens. I have that in my player now (Actually, I have a 5 disk carousel, so it finished playing a bit ago, but still quite a coincidence :) )

Now playing this:
[asin]B000B7G0T2[/asin]

we  share a good taste.... ;)

Traverso

Quote from: HIPster on July 12, 2019, 06:30:16 AM
Excellent, Traverso;)

That Richter recording was my introduction to the suites as well.  The La Petite Bande recording remains a favorite of mine today.

I'll join you in some Bach listening:

[asin]B00575MDL2[/asin]

another  coincidence,the same introduction to these beautiful suites,it is my favorite too.

cilgwyn

Bax's Piano Sonatas;of which I'm,a bit of a fan!! This,hard to find,at a reasonable price,cd set,arrived today. Difficult to find a decent photo. I'll have to scan my own! Interesting to hear a French pianist in this repertoire. I had her recording of Bowen's Preludes. The French cd release,actually,preceding,the acclaimed Hyperion recording,which,subsequently,got the credit for,kick-starting,the York Bowen revival. The French cd,however,included the complete preludes. I'm not an admirer of Bowen;but it sounded,very good,to me. This will take a while to digest! I wish the sonatas had been placed in order,though. I'll have to rip it onto some cd-r's. I did this with the Eric Parkin recordings.

Kontrapunctus

This is still my favorite recording. Some newer ones might have a bit more transparency (although this LP still sounds pretty good), but I love this interpretation and performance.

listener

PFITZNER;  Palestrina -  3 preludes,  Die Kätchen von Heilbronn: Overture
Die Rose vom Liebesgarten: Blütenwunder and Trauermarsch
Bavarian Radio S.O.      Wolfgang Sawallisch
                      3 Cello Concertos
David Geringas, cello   Bamberg S.O.    Werner Andreas Albert, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."