What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Traverso

Irons

Moeran: Cello Sonata.

A deep work with more behind the notes then the notes themselves and with the added poignancy of the performer being the composer's widow. He wrote this and the cello concerto for Coetmore. Unusually for Moeran little folk influence if at all. In fact I detected a Russian flavour.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Traverso

Haydn

Trompet Concerto

Håkan Hardenberger

Traverso

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

cilgwyn

I thought I'd have another go at Lambert's magnum opus! I remember a revival of this work sparked a flurry if interest in the music press. Reviews followed in national newspapers. Then back to obscurity;albeit,these days you can judge for yourself, by bunging on this recording! ;D I quite like some of Lambert's music. Of course he was famous once! Even my father,who has never been particularly interested in music,has heard of Music Ho! The famous recording of him performing Facade,with Edith Sitwell,is my favourite! And does The Rio Grande deserve to be popular again?!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 17, 2019, 02:49:02 AM
I thought I'd have another go at Lambert's magnum opus! I remember a revival of this work sparked a flurry if interest in the music press. Reviews followed in national newspapers. Then back to obscurity;albeit,these days you can judge for yourself, by bunging on this recording! ;D I quite like some of Lambert's music. Of course he was famous once! Even my father,who has never been particularly interested in music,has heard of Music Ho! The famous recording of him performing Facade,with Edith Sitwell,is my favourite! And does The Rio Grande deserve to be popular again?!

I dug this out a week or so ago.  I like the orchestral scherzo and some parts of it but it is an uneven piece.  Rio Grande gets a decent performance but overall this isn't a hugely compelling disc.  I remember being a bit disappointed when originally released and that's my feeling this time too.....

Harry

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 17, 2019, 02:49:02 AM

Constant Lambert is a very important composer to me. I adore his ballet music, and in general all he composed for orchestra, solo and chamber music. To my ears he was a genius, and he fully deserves all the attention he gets. But the English adore some of their composers excessively, but Constant and for that matter Lloyd are seriously neglected, while both belong to the very best England produced. 
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Dominique Vellard/ Emmanual Bonardot, Veritas Mea, chants from a 9th century manuscript in Albi, informed by Dom  Eugene Cardine's ideas, the singers go without introduction, the interpretation in its day was bold, people say "revolutionary". I saw a comment by someone who said he listened to it with Mary Berry when it first came out, she was moved to comment that she felt "in her bones" that this way of singing is right.  If anyone wants my transfer they can PM me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Holmboe, Trombone Concerto

Not that familiar to me, as far as my Holmboe collection goes. I like it!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: schnittkease on July 15, 2019, 08:27:05 PM
Schoenberg was as much a Romantic as Brahms or Tchaikovsky.

He was a much truer Romantic than both of them, actually.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on July 17, 2019, 03:19:13 AM
Constant Lambert is a very important composer to me. I adore his ballet music, and in general all he composed for orchestra, solo and chamber music. To my ears he was a genius, and he fully deserves all the attention he gets. But the English adore some of their composers excessively, but Constant and for that matter Lloyd are seriously neglected, while both belong to the very best England produced.
I enjoy the Rio Grande but find it a bit 'precious', although not nearly as much as Walton's 'Facade' which I can't stand (especially if the performance involves Edith Sitwell). Like Harry, however, I rather like Lambert's ballet music, especially Horoscope and think that he was a very fine conductor.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 17, 2019, 02:57:24 AM
I dug this out a week or so ago.  I like the orchestral scherzo and some parts of it but it is an uneven piece.  Rio Grande gets a decent performance but overall this isn't a hugely compelling disc.  I remember being a bit disappointed when originally released and that's my feeling this time too.....
I remember having a similar reaction,to you,actually! There were some good bits;and it was,indeed,the orchestral scherzo,and remembering part of it (particularly a rather noisy climax) that led me to buying the s/h cd,which arrived today. (I sold my original copy!). I did wonder whether Lambert had bitten off a bit more than he could chew,with this one?! I do like some of his music,though. I tend to feel,that he was more at home in ballet music and,some of those pieces,where he was assimilating popular idioms of the day. A sort of British counterpart to Les Six,I suppose? Although,I'd give them the edge ;D! Lord Berner's is another one. (I like his Triumph of Neptune,ballet). I feel Lambert's music is very much of it's day;and I like it when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing. Anyway,I'll see what I make of it this time around!! I remember reading the review by Fiona Maddocks,in the Guardian,by the way! I taped the performance,at the time. Maybe,it was better than the one on the cd? I can't remember!! ::) But it's (was) a thumbs-up from the Grauniad,anyway!! ;D How the mighty fall,eh?!!

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/1999/oct/03/featuresreview.review7

Sergeant Rock

Bax Symphony No.1 (1921-22), Handley conducting the BBC Phil

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

Beginning,now! Summers Last Will and Testament! I must admit,I actually stopped listening to the cd,for a while,to listen to a phone in on a local radio station!! ::) Lots of stuff about jobs people had when they were kids,before health and safety! You know,like,newspaper rounds and sweeping chimneys! I remember doing that when I was a water baby!! ;D

Sergeant Rock

Bax Symphony No.1 (1921-22), Thomson conducting the LPO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony - Bryden Thomson conducting the London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus with Yvonne Kenny (soprano) and Brian Rayner Cook (baritone). Fine conclusion to Thomson's RVW cycle (I have listened to it out of sequence and over several months).

cilgwyn

Summers Last Will and Testament! Well,I never! ??? It looks like I'm with Harry! I think I'm enjoying it this time around. I'm listening to the finale now. I find this powerful and moving! I'll need to listen to it again,though.