What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Bach

Und weiter geht es mit Cantaten.:)

Madiel

Is the forum being super slow for anyone else right now?

While I wait for an answer, embarking on Volume 3 of the Naive Vivaldi edition.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Quote from: Madiel on August 14, 2019, 02:52:07 AM
Is the forum being super slow for anyone else right now?

While I wait for an answer, embarking on Volume 3 of the Naive Vivaldi edition.

Yes I have the same problem when I logged in,it is now o.k.  . :)

Biffo

Sibelius: En Saga, Op 15 (final versio) - Lahti Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska - roughly 5 mins shorter than the original version and fewer hints of Wagner and Tchaikovsky

vandermolen

Erwin Schulhoff: Symphony 5 (1938/39)
A magnificent work. Written in the shadow of the Munich Agreement of 1938 and the terrible betrayal of Czechoslovakia (by my own country amongst others) it conveys a terrible sense of looming catastrophe but also hopeless defiance. In this sense it reminds me of Honegger's 2nd and 3rd 'Liturgique' symphonies. I was also reminded of the 2nd and 3rd symphonies by Hilding Rosenberg at times. There is a Romain Rolland connection between the Schulhoff and the Rosenberg 3rd Symphony as well. As a Czech, Jewish communist Schulhoff stood no chance at all and perished during the Second World War. My grateful thanks to André for originally introducing me to this despairing but paradoxically inspiriting work:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Yes, the forum is slow and regularly off line. Connection seems to improve...

Ah! Schulhoff! I hope to find out what " Lachteufel" is - an instrument used in his pianoconcerto. I wrote to Les percussions de Strasbourg! They should know.

Traverso

Ligeti

Melodien für Orchester (1971)
Chamber Concerto

Schönberg Ensemble Reinbert de Leeuw

Piano Concerto  Pierre-Laurant Aimard

Mysteries of the Macabre (für Trompete und Kammerorchester) (arr. von Elgar Howarth)

Asko Ensemble Reinbert de Leeuw

Harry

GMG is slow indeed, and often I can not get in.

New arrival.

Venezia Stravagantissima.
Balli Canzone e Madrigali.

Capriccio Stravagante
Renaissance Orchestra, Skip Sempe.

A lovely disc filled with music that makes you happy. And well performed it is too.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Andy D.

There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

This is a great quote imo.

Me:

Can't seem to stop with the Gergiev Rite of Spring (Tchaikovsky). REALLY love the Scriabin "Poem of Ecstasy" on that CD as well, first time hearing that one.

Traverso

Debussy & Chopin

Préludes Book 1
Reflets dans l'eau

Fantasie in F minor Op.49
Ballade No.1 in G minor Op.23

Maestro267

Saint-Saëns: Violin Concerto No. 3
Hoelscher (violin)/New Philharmonia Orchestra/Dervaux

Biffo

Beethoven: Symphony No 7 in A major - Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herbert von Karajan (1963) - dynamic performance from HvK

vandermolen

I found the forum very slow earlier too. Better now.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Mahler: Symphony 6 [Barbirolli]

This is a grand, sweeping, powerful performance with a glorious version of the magnificent slow movement. It also has a sense of foreboding throughout, especially in the final movement.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on August 13, 2019, 11:55:20 PM
Atterberg: 1st Symphony.

I have decided listening chronologically is the best way to get a handle on this set of works. I was struck by the exuberance of youth inherent in the 1st Symphony. A young man with an unshakable confidence in his own abilities which in a way is the symphony's Achilles heel. The great Romantic works all posses an element of self-doubt or pain. It will be most interesting to travel through the nine and follow the development of Atterberg as a symphonic composer. He is obviously extremely gifted.

That is a great set. Enjoy your odyssey.

Traverso

aligreto

Franck: Sonata for Violin and Piano in A major [Minchev/Kareev]

I like this wok a lot. This performance is fine with the reservation that the tempi are a bit slow for my taste in some places, particularly in the first movement.

aligreto

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: Andy D. on August 14, 2019, 05:19:56 AM
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

This is a great quote imo.

Me:

Can't seem to stop with the Gergiev Rite of Spring (Tchaikovsky). REALLY love the Scriabin "Poem of Ecstasy" on that CD as well, first time hearing that one.

I assume you mean Stravinsky?  Both of those (The Rite and Poem of Ecstasy) are my favorite recordings of each piece... that album is perfect
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on August 14, 2019, 06:57:23 AM
That is a wonderful set.

Yes,I like it very much,looking forward to my new purchases,Schnitke symphonies and the Shostakovich string quartets.Brahms is so sympathetic and full of warm melodies,it seems that socially he was less talented.
What he was unable to express in social life is present in abundance in his music.
I just finished the symphony and what are those last bars less than an outburst of limetless joy