Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Tschaikovsky

Symphony No.6

Another fine set... ;)

aligreto

Schumann: Symphony No. 1 [Krips]

This is not a version that I am particularly fond of. The reason for this is that primarily the tempi are too slow in many places, e.g. the opening bars sound like a funeral march!

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on August 14, 2019, 07:14:42 AM
Yes,I like it very much,looking forward to my new purchases,Schnitke symphonies and the Shostakovich string quartets.Brahms is so sympathetic and full of warm melodies,it seems that socially he was less talented.
What he was unable to express in social life is present in abundance in his music.
I just finished the symphony and what are those last bars less than an outburst of limetless joy

Perhaps Clara smiled at him or had kind words for him that day.
[Coincidence that I was just finishing listening to Schumann as you were writing that]

aligreto

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on August 14, 2019, 07:34:52 AM
Perhaps Clara smiled at him or had kind words for him that day.
[Coincidence that I was just finishing listening to Schumann as you were writing that]

Who knows Fergus,who knows....... ;D

Sergeant Rock

Derek Bourgeois Symphony No.6 "A Cotswold Symphony"

https://www.youtube.com/v/wLnAHa2aBmk

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

aligreto

Villa Lobos: Five Preludes [Williams]

SonicMan46

After a number of days listening to Hogwood and his gang perform Wolfie's Symphonies, a 'change of pace' - :)  Dave

aligreto

Glazunov: Piano Concerto No. 1 [Richter/Kondrashin]

To be honest I find that I am unable to engage in any meaningful way with this work.

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: aligreto on August 14, 2019, 09:04:35 AM
Glazunov: Piano Concerto No. 1 [Richter/Kondrashin]

To be honest I find that I am unable to engage in any meaningful way with this work.

How's the recording itself?
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

aligreto

Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 [Klemperer]

aligreto

Quote from: ChopinBroccoli on August 14, 2019, 09:26:30 AM
How's the recording itself?

I found the recording to be fine and one cannot complain about the performance of both Richter and Kondrashin.

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: aligreto on August 14, 2019, 10:04:33 AM
I found the recording to be fine and one cannot complain about the performance of both Richter and Kondrashin.

Usually a great combination (the Liszt Concertos are tremendous)
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Irons on August 13, 2019, 11:55:20 PM
Atterberg: 1st Symphony.

I have decided listening chronologically is the best way to get a handle on this set of works. I was struck by the exuberance of youth inherent in the 1st Symphony. A young man with an unshakable confidence in his own abilities which in a way is the symphony's Achilles heel. The great Romantic works all posses an element of self-doubt or pain. It will be most interesting to travel through the nine and follow the development of Atterberg as a symphonic composer. He is obviously extremely gifted.

That is my way to listen to most of works too. Undoubtedly a formidable first symphony by anyone. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the rest.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Biffo on August 14, 2019, 02:23:15 AM
Sibelius: The Wood-Nymph, Op 15 - Lahti Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska - an early work, the booklet mentions the influence of Wagner though to me it had a hint of Dvorak.

One of the earliest Sibelius masterpieces IMO. That gentle beginning sounds like the start of a fantastic adventure as it effectively is.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 14, 2019, 03:36:09 AM
Erwin Schulhoff: Symphony 5 (1938/39)
A magnificent work. Written in the shadow of the Munich Agreement of 1938 and the terrible betrayal of Czechoslovakia (by my own country amongst others) it conveys a terrible sense of looming catastrophe but also hopeless defiance. In this sense it reminds me of Honegger's 2nd and 3rd 'Liturgique' symphonies. I was also reminded of the 2nd and 3rd symphonies by Hilding Rosenberg at times. There is a Romain Rolland connection between the Schulhoff and the Rosenberg 3rd Symphony as well. As a Czech, Jewish communist Schulhoff stood no chance at all and perished during the Second World War. My grateful thanks to André for originally introducing me to this despairing but paradoxically inspiriting work:

I like all the Schulhoff's symphonies. Too bad the only recording of his symphonies 4 & 6 is out of print as far as I know. Terribly hard to find.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Biffo on August 14, 2019, 05:35:21 AM
Beethoven: Symphony No 7 in A major - Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herbert von Karajan (1963) - dynamic performance from HvK

One of the best recordings of my favorite Beethoven symphony.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Traverso on August 14, 2019, 04:05:15 AM
Ligeti

Melodien für Orchester (1971)
Chamber Concerto

Schönberg Ensemble Reinbert de Leeuw

Piano Concerto  Pierre-Laurant Aimard

Mysteries of the Macabre (für Trompete und Kammerorchester) (arr. von Elgar Howarth)

Asko Ensemble Reinbert de Leeuw

Practically all the works I've listened to from Ligeti have impressed me a lot.

Traverso

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 14, 2019, 11:05:49 AM
Practically all the works I've listened to from Ligeti have impressed me a lot.

Same here, it is very accessible to me anyway .

aligreto

Vaughan Williams: A London Symphony [Previn]

This is a strong but lyrical and contemplative version of this work and I like Previn's vision of the music.