What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

A very romantic Shostakovich on this film score. Whilst not top-notch stuff, it was a quite pleasant listen.

Madiel

Vivaldi, La Senna Festeggiante

(Opus 111/Naive recording)

A puff piece sucking up to the French ambassador, or something like that. Mildly diverting.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on August 14, 2019, 04:51:20 PM
Vivaldi, La Senna Festeggiante

(Opus 111/Naive recording)

A puff piece sucking up to the French ambassador, or something like that. Mildly diverting.

That's the one I bought from a Taiwanese Ebay dealer!

Speaking of the Red Priest, thread duty is CD 2 of this
[asin]B07NRHGJPJ[/asin]

CD4 was released by Tactus* in 2015; the other three CDs are new recordings made by/for Brilliant.

*This one

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Que

Morning listening - just in:

[asin]B002F3BQ9O[/asin]
This went OOP sooner than I expected.... 
I postponed, and was then preoccupied with Rousset's WTC.
But I was lucky: found this for the regular price as "like new", but it turned out to be new and still in its cellophane wrap..  :)

Q

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on August 14, 2019, 06:08:28 AM
Mahler: Symphony 6 [Barbirolli]

This is a grand, sweeping, powerful performance with a glorious version of the magnificent slow movement. It also has a sense of foreboding throughout, especially in the final movement.

I have a story to tell of that very recording. Quite a few years ago I foolishly purchased a pair of expensive speakers. I grew to dislike the sound and more importantly owing to large chrome caps each end the wife was not overjoyed with their appearance. A young couple about to emigrate to Australia came to audition them. I played a few records and could see I was losing them, the sale was disappearing in thin air. In a moment of inspiration - doesn't happen very often! I placed Barbirolli's, Mahler 6 on the TT. From the opening bars the speakers were sold.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Traverso on August 14, 2019, 06:40:58 AM
Brahms

Symphony No.2

It has always been a mystery to me that on vinyl the Klemperer Brahms is in poor sound and his Beethoven already recorded enjoys excellent sound. I have purchased many issues with always the same result. Perhaps CD is the answer.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 14, 2019, 11:01:42 AM
One of the earliest Sibelius masterpieces IMO. That gentle beginning sounds like the start of a fantastic adventure as it effectively is.
+1 yes, I really like that work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Madrigals and Songs, CD IV.

John Ward.
The first set of English Madrigals to 3,4,5 & 6 parts. (1)
Apt both for Viols and voices. London 1613)
Four fantasias for Viols.

The Consort of Musicke, Anthony Rooley.

There is much I could tell, but I need just a few words to describe the excellent performances from my past. There is no way to fault what the Consort of Musicke did in the heydays of authentic music making. Its just perfect, and so is the music because of it.
Pristine recordings, very much treasured.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 14, 2019, 07:48:11 AM
Derek Bourgeois Symphony No.6 "A Cotswold Symphony"

https://www.youtube.com/v/wLnAHa2aBmk

Sarge
This is most interesting. I always imagined that Bourgeois was an avant garde atonal composer. There seem to be very few recordings of his music. I much preferred his Cotswold Symphony to the one by Holst.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 14, 2019, 11:02:57 AM
I like all the Schulhoff's symphonies. Too bad the only recording of his symphonies 4 & 6 is out of print as far as I know. Terribly hard to find.

I think that there's a Cappriccio boxed set of them all.

vers la flamme

"dunkel ist das Leben, ist der Tod..."

Gustav Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde. Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, with soloists James King and Janet Baker.

@Traverso. I must get that Ligeti box. It looks excellent, and Ligeti has long been a composer I've wanted to explore in more depth. I also recently got Klemperer's Brahms cycle, I got the somewhat recent remastered box on Warner Classics, and I've been loving it, despite never having been much of a Brahms guy.

Harry

Johann Gottfried Walther.
Complete Organ Works, CD 5.

Chorale settings IV.

Simone Stella plays on a Francesco Zanin Organ, 2006.

This is a wonderful set, for all those that love Bach. Unmissable me thinks.

Traverso

Quote from: Irons on August 14, 2019, 11:19:18 PM
It has always been a mystery to me that on vinyl the Klemperer Brahms is in poor sound and his Beethoven already recorded enjoys excellent sound. I have purchased many issues with always the same result. Perhaps CD is the answer.

I think so too,most of the CD's I have sound better than the LP"s I had in the past,no doubt about that.

Biffo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 14, 2019, 11:04:15 AM
One of the best recordings of my favorite Beethoven symphony.

Karajan is consistently fine in No 7 - at least in his first three cycles - I don't know the 1980s digital cycle.

Meanwhile, continuing the 1963 cycle with Symphony No 8 in F major

Harry

Franz Krommer.
Orchestral Works, Volume II.

Symphony No 4, opus 102 in C minor.
No 5 opus 105 in E flat major,
No. 7 in G minor.

Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana, Howard Griffiths.

When I bought the first volume, it had me all in feathers, and was frequently visited by goosebumps, but the second volume even tops that. I think that a lot of classical music lovers put Krommer away as a B composer. If he is at all mentioned it's always deep in the shadow of luminaries of his time. But guess what, Krommer is his own light that shines brightly. He is a very good composer, technical as good as Beethoven, Schumann, etc, and he adds his own technical skills and genius to the works on this disc. I am awestruck, I really am. My mind is full with composers of his time, but this guy is something very special. His scoring is phenomenal, investing his music with gorgeous melodies, embedded in colourful harmonies, and punchy lines. No matter which of the three symphonies you sample, they are all of the same high quality.
This orchestra and conductor are the perfect vehicle to get just this genius out, and the display is magnificent.
Sound is superb. Should be bought post-haste. :)

Traverso

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 15, 2019, 02:02:05 AM

"dunkel ist das Leben, ist der Tod..."

Gustav Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde. Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, with soloists James King and Janet Baker.

@Traverso. I must get that Ligeti box. It looks excellent, and Ligeti has long been a composer I've wanted to explore in more depth. I also recently got Klemperer's Brahms cycle, I got the somewhat recent remastered box on Warner Classics, and I've been loving it, despite never having been much of a Brahms guy.

That's a very fine Mahler recording with Janet and Bernard.

There are two boxes you must have from Ligeti,the red one ( Sony ) is oop , reissued and only second-hand available.The last picture is the new edition.

Enjoy  ;)

Madiel

Quote from: Traverso on August 15, 2019, 04:52:48 AM
Bach

The speed at which you're going through these is terrifying, given I started listening to the cantatas in 2012 and haven't finished yet.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Quote from: Madiel on August 15, 2019, 05:05:00 AM
The speed at which you're going through these is terrifying, given I started listening to the cantatas in 2012 and haven't finished yet.

:D It's just one CD a day and when I'm finished with these I start with the Koopman recordings,I think it will be done at the end of this year.I began with one CD a day from this set and one of the Koopman set but that was too much.
Be assured that I'm not punishing myself. :)

Madiel

Sibelius, Ödlan (The Lizard)

Lovely string incidental music that Sibelius saddled with a completely misleading opus number in one of his attempts to rewrite history. Opus 8 but should be about opus 57.

Only 2 scenes, one of which (at least in Segerstam's hands) is 22 minutes continuous music. the BIS chamber-scale performance gets through the same piece in just over 14 minutes, which does make me want to check whether they're even playing the same score.  But the tempo marking is apparently "Grave" and Segerstam gets plenty of drama out of it.

Sibelius reportedly described it as 'one of the most exquisite works that I have written' but also considered it ill-suited to concert performance and so it's only ever been in the form intended for the play it was written for.