What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kontrapunctus

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on August 20, 2019, 12:00:37 AM
Ach but there are more Que that like this music, YOU are NOT alone. I bought the Clementi sets when they were released. Its a fabulous set.

The more the merrier!  :)

Q

aligreto

Debussy: Estampes I, II & III [Richter]

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Selection of songs from Des Knaben Wunderhorn and Rückert-Lieder. Christa Ludwig, Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra. I'm trying to take a break from Mahler, but I can't stay away completely. :p

JBS

Quote from: aligreto on August 20, 2019, 01:16:11 PM
Berg: Violin Concerto [Suk/Ancerl]

An odd coupling I would have thought.
Isn't that the cantata which Berg quoted in the concerto?
TD
Saint Saens
Piano Concertos 3-5
Ciccolini/Orchestre de Paris/Baudo

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aligreto

Sibelius: Symphony No. 7 [Berglund]

This is a dark toned and somewhat sombre yet very engaging interpretation of this wonderful work. The strings and woodwinds perform admirably with the brass weighing in well towards the conclusion. I really like how the tension builds throughout the performance.

aligreto

Quote from: JBS on August 20, 2019, 02:09:36 PM

Isn't that the cantata which Berg quoted in the concerto?

You may very well be correct there. That point has eluded me. The coupling would obviously, therefore, make sense.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on August 20, 2019, 12:37:00 PM
I listened to that album recently on vinyl LP. It makes for very fine listening. I hope that you enjoyed it.

Oh yes,I used to have the LP box many years ago and I remember most vividly that I listened to this music together with a friend,I cherish that moment.listening with a friend can be a great joy.listening in Harmony,magical......

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on August 20, 2019, 01:42:15 PM
Debussy: Estampes I, II & III [Richter]

This week I will have a box with his DG recordings, ;)

Traverso

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 20, 2019, 01:58:00 PM

Gustav Mahler: Selection of songs from Des Knaben Wunderhorn and Rückert-Lieder. Christa Ludwig, Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra. I'm trying to take a break from Mahler, but I can't stay away completely. :p

Well,this is a classic,An essential recording.........with Otto! :)

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on August 20, 2019, 02:30:30 PM
Oh yes,I used to have the LP box many years ago and I remember most vividly that I listened to this music together with a friend,I cherish that moment.listening with a friend can be a great joy.listening in Harmony,magical......

What a wonderful sentiment and memory.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on August 20, 2019, 02:39:04 PM

This week I will have a box with his DG recordings, ;)

I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on August 20, 2019, 02:52:03 PM
I am sure that you will enjoy it.

The site is o.k. at the moment,I hope it stays that way.
Yesterday I listened to Xenakis and I was in the soundworld so to speak,I only have some difficulties with those agressieve painfull high notes.

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2019, 01:03:27 PM
Glad someone agrees with me! ;) Berlioz seems like one of those composers I should love, but don't. I still do have a soft spot for Symphonie fantastique, hopelessly overplayed though it is.

Right there with both of you... Berlioz fits right in with so many composers I'm fond of but outside of the Symphony Fantastique (and even that drags in spots), I just cannot get into his music ... I must've listened to Harold In Italy and Romeo and Juliet 100 times each and... nothing
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on August 20, 2019, 02:21:41 PM
Sibelius: Symphony No. 7 [Berglund]

This is a dark toned and somewhat sombre yet very engaging interpretation of this wonderful work. The strings and woodwinds perform admirably with the brass weighing in well towards the conclusion. I really like how the tension builds throughout the performance.
More nostalgia!
What do you think of that version of Tapiola Fergus?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

First listen
[asin]B07LD4VTG5[/asin]
Kremer transcribed these for violin, the original Op. 100 being for solo 'cello.
I am fairly certain I have never heard them before in any form.

BTW, since only the Preludes are presented, the CD is only 47 minutes in length.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

andolink

Really gorgeous stuff here in excellent sound from an original analog recording from Jan. 1982.

Luigi Rossi (1597-1653)

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

andolink

New acquisition:
Early classical trio sonatas from the private collection of the wealthy silk merchant Lukas Sarasin (1730-1802) of Basel Switzerland - -

DSD64

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)