What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on August 19, 2019, 09:05:35 PM
Berlioz: Requiem

[asin]B000GYHZ6M[/asin]
Aside from his Symphonie fantastique and Roman Carnival Overture, Berlioz is a composer whose music I generally struggle to appreciate. His Requiem is a case in point. Aside from some exciting climactic moments, much of it seems rather turgid and unengaging to me. I felt the same way when attending a live performance of La Damnation de Faust recently - I enjoyed certain sections (particularly the Pandemonium), but much of the rest held little interest for me...

Although Berlioz is not a first choice among my favorite composers, his music does resonate with me in a certain degree. The Requiem is fantastic, incredible you don't like it. The Dies irae-Tuba mirum, Lacrimosa, Offertorium and the Sanctus are the highlights of the piece for me. The Te Deum is also epic, it could be appeal to more people because of its length and succinctness. The Symphonie funèbre et triomphale struck me after I attended a concert: it made more sense for me that day. I know you don't like opera that much, but Benvenuto Cellini is simply superb and hilarious. Les Troyens was good but not as much as Benvenuto. The Messe Solennelle, despite being an early work, it's quite impressive and glorious. I also like most of his overtures.

SymphonicAddict

A most interesting film score. Having listened to his Hamlet Op. 32 the other day, this version for film is even deeper and psychological. I'm realizing Shostakovich wrote many more stunning orchestral works besides the most usual ones. It's certainly refreshing, and he still remains as one of my top 10 favorite composers ever.

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: ChopinBroccoli on August 20, 2019, 03:11:55 PM
Right there with both of you... Berlioz fits right in with so many composers I'm fond of but outside of the Symphony Fantastique (and even that drags in spots), I just cannot get into his music ... I must've listened to Harold In Italy and Romeo and Juliet 100 times each and... nothing

I like the beginning of Harold in Italy but after that my attention wanders...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 20, 2019, 04:32:19 PM
Although Berlioz is not a first choice among my favorite composers, his music does resonate with me in a certain degree. The Requiem is fantastic, incredible you don't like it. The Dies irae-Tuba mirum, Lacrimosa, Offertorium and the Sanctus are the highlights of the piece for me. The Te Deum is also epic, it could be appeal to more people because of its length and succinctness. The Symphonie funèbre et triomphale struck me after I attended a concert: it made more sense for me that day. I know you don't like opera that much, but Benvenuto Cellini is simply superb and hilarious. Les Troyens was good but not as much as Benvenuto. The Messe Solennelle, despite being an early work, it's quite impressive and glorious. I also like most of his overtures.

I was wondering if we'd disagree on Berlioz! ;) Thanks for your input, Cesar. I'll give some of those works a try. And btw, I like most opera more than I used to! Also, which recording(s) of the Requiem have you heard?

listener

Russian theme today, more or less
GIORDANO:  Siberia    (It is in Italian)
1974 Milan RAI recording
Luisa Maragliano, Amadeo Zambon,  Walter Monachesi etc.  Danilo Bernardinelli, cond.
Lots of familiar Russian tunes  in passing, audiences would applaud themselves for recognizing them.

GLAZUNOV: Symphony no.9  "Unfinished" in d    (10:24 of it)
USSR Radio S.O.  G.Yudin, cond.
LVOV: Violin Concerto in a  (1840)
Sergei Stadler, violin     Leningrad Philharmonic Orch.   V. Chernashenko, cond.
KABALEVSKY: Musical Sketches for "Romeo and Juliet"  op.55
Moscow S.O.,  Dmitri Kitaenko cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2019, 04:47:59 PM
I like the beginning of Harold in Italy but after that my attention wanders...
Yes, same here
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Symphonies 1 and 3 are superb. No 2 didn't click as much.

..................................................................................

Mozart K427, Tchaikovsky 4, Beethoven 1 and 3. Old recordings, old friends.

And this brand new one, an absolute delight:

Opera arias, opera overtures, and the big scenas, Berenice che fai and Arianna a Naxos. Amazingly good program, execution and sound. One of my best purchases in 2019.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2019, 04:52:06 PM
I was wondering if we'd disagree on Berlioz! ;) Thanks for your input, Cesar. I'll give some of those works a try. And btw, I like most opera more than I used to! Also, which recording(s) of the Requiem have you heard?

Good to know you do enjoy opera more than expected!

I've heard that Davis recording, one on Naxos and one on DG with Levine/BPO. The Davis is arguably the best as many would guess. The Levine has as a soloist Luciano Pavarotti in the Sanctus, which, for me, is a special feature about it.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2019, 04:47:05 PM
What's that like?

Here are some samples: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8649066--andrew-waggoner-quantum-memoir
I haven't made up my mind if I like it or not. Some parts are fine, while others have a bit of minimalism, which I detest.

pjme

https://www.youtube.com/v/4OdWexzCjV8

A Mass to gently start the new day.

And "Litanies" gets blood and oxygen flowing.

https://www.youtube.com/v/PrH-zCJMb7s

pjme

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 20, 2019, 04:41:58 PM

A most interesting film score. Having listened to his Hamlet Op. 32 the other day, this version for film is even deeper and psychological. I'm realizing Shostakovich wrote many more stunning orchestral works besides the most usual ones. It's certainly refreshing, and he still remains as one of my top 10 favorite composers ever.

One of those great moments in filmmusic!

https://www.youtube.com/v/DbCzmzaRYNg

Harry

Fine music for the early morning.

Istanpitta, Italian Estampies of the Trecento.

These Italian Estampies are assembled in a single anonymous manuscript dating from the late fourteenth century, which belonged to a Florentine family whose name is unknown to us. Tradition and transmission were oral, and musical manuscripts were written out once the music had already been learnt and performed.
It is music rich and ripe with the era in which is was written, and it gives as much insight as it gives pleasure, certainly in this recording. Superb recording.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

The new erato

Quote from: ChopinBroccoli on August 20, 2019, 03:11:55 PM
Right there with both of you... Berlioz fits right in with so many composers I'm fond of but outside of the Symphony Fantastique (and even that drags in spots), I just cannot get into his music ... I must've listened to Harold In Italy and Romeo and Juliet 100 times each and... nothing
The only thing I play relatively regularly is Le Nuits d'Ete. Sublime.

vandermolen

Quote from: listener on August 20, 2019, 05:09:36 PM
Russian theme today, more or less
GIORDANO:  Siberia    (It is in Italian)
1974 Milan RAI recording
Luisa Maragliano, Amadeo Zambon,  Walter Monachesi etc.  Danilo Bernardinelli, cond.
Lots of familiar Russian tunes  in passing, audiences would applaud themselves for recognizing them.

GLAZUNOV: Symphony no.9  "Unfinished" in d    (10:24 of it)
USSR Radio S.O.  G.Yudin, cond.
LVOV: Violin Concerto in a  (1840)
Sergei Stadler, violin     Leningrad Philharmonic Orch.   V. Chernashenko, cond.
KABALEVSKY: Musical Sketches for "Romeo and Juliet"  op.55
Moscow S.O.,  Dmitri Kitaenko cond.
It's an interesting CD and features, I think, the best performance of the rather moving unfinished 9th Symphony fragment.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Andy D.

I was delighted this morning to hear composer Langgaard for the first time; thoroughly enjoyed his Romantic first symphony (Dausgaard).

Really looking forward to investigating this composer more thoroughly.

I've also had fun catching up wiiiiiiiiith...SCRIABIN!

Harry

Konge af Danmark, Musical Europe at the court of Christian IV, (1577-1648.

Hume: The Duke of Holstones Delight; The Duke of Holstones Almaine
Scheidt: Paduan; Alamanda
Simpson: Ricercar; Volte
Robinson: Spanish Pavan; A Toy; A Playne song
Bleyer: Courante
Pederson: Fader vor und i Himmerig; O che soave baccio
Lorenz: Vater unser im Himmelreich
Schop: Sine titulo
Vierdanck: Canzona
Maercker: Paduana
Borchgrevinck: Galliarda
Maynard: A Pavin
Gistou: Paduana; Galliard

Les Witches.
Freddy Eichelberger, Organ.

This is in all respects a very creative disc, full with interesting music, which you will find nowhere else. An unique bunch of composers rarely heard, and full of surprises. Lucidly recorded, brought out by this ensemble in a clarifying and musically convincing way. Very enjoyable and hugely recommendable of course.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Bach

continuing  with these fine cantatas

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5 (LSO/Previn)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).