Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 12659852 times)

Offline listener

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #140620 on: August 22, 2019, 08:46:50 AM »
from Philips Great Pianists of the 20th Century series
John Ogdon II  - piano solo collection
RACHMANINOFF: Études-Tableaux opp. 33 & 39, BALAKIREV: Islamey
LISZT: Réminscences de Don Juan, Réminiscences de Simone Boccanegra
Après une lecture de Dante  and more
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #140621 on: August 22, 2019, 09:12:48 AM »
I did a lot of soul-searching and came to the conclusion that out of the 400 or so recordings I have on Qobuz and Tidal playlists, I probably would actually want to own maybe 20-25, so I made a list of them and cancelled both streaming services (I far prefer physical media and FLAC/DSD hi-res files). I'm slowly replacing those titles and this is the first CD I received.

Added to my Qobuz favorites.  :P

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #140622 on: August 22, 2019, 10:32:58 AM »
In reference to a discussion on the previous page: I don't know about y'all, but I love Alfred Brendel's Beethoven, especially the early sonatas. I think the way that he plays it straight up with no frills in an almost academic sense really shows another side of the music, kind of emphasizing the architecture of these pieces. But I'm not one who sees Beethoven as a Romantic composer. Schubert, on the other hand, definitely was a Romantic, and, interestingly, I guess, I'm not as big on Brendel's Schubert. Weird. He is a great all-around pianist nonetheless.

Current listening:

Antonín Dvořák: Serenade for Strings in E major, op.22. Wow, what a great piece! This is one of the few Dvořák pieces I've heard. I think I need to explore his works in further depth.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #140623 on: August 22, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »
Bach

Harrie Mooten is a Dutch accordionist .

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ROX0_BM8_Ck?list=RDROX0_BM8_Ck" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ROX0_BM8_Ck?list=RDROX0_BM8_Ck</a>

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #140624 on: August 22, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »
First listen to this CD that landed today, with chamber music by Joseph Jongen (hat tip to Traverso and SymphonicAddict):

Délicieux! :)

Stupendous news, ritter! Glad you enjoyed it! Everybody should listen to this inspiring music.

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #140625 on: August 22, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »
I don't know that work, but two of Holst's choral/orchestral works have been great discoveries of mine recently: the First Choral Symphony and The Cloud Messenger. Do you know them?

Yes, I do! Two very fine works as far as I remember. Holst was an outstanding choral composer.

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #140626 on: August 22, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »
Current listening:

Antonín Dvořák: Serenade for Strings in E major, op.22. Wow, what a great piece! This is one of the few Dvořák pieces I've heard. I think I need to explore his works in further depth.

The Serenade is a peach. Full of memorable tunes and elegant writing.

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #140627 on: August 22, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »
Schnitke

String Quartets 3-1-2

This time it is really Schnitke,just arrived in the mailbox.

The SQ 2 is insane, almost like evil music at times.

Offline jwinter

• Veteran member
« Reply #140628 on: August 22, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »
Having a Sibelian afternoon...

Symphonies 1 & 2, Blomstedt

Violin Concerto, Hahn

Finlandia, Karelia Suite, Ashkenazy
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #140629 on: August 22, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
It's 6 o'clock somewhere!

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #140630 on: August 22, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »

At first I had underestimated his 1st symphony. Now my impressions are much more positive. It's a charming, light and even tuneful piece. Nevertheless, it's the 2nd symphony the star of the disc. Much more ambitious in scope, brilliantly orchestrated, with plenty of drive and strong themes. Exciting to say the least. IIRC Bowen composed other 2 more symphonies, but they are lost (?). I'd pay to hear them.

Symphony in A major À Patria: A late work in the Romantic tradition. It's his only symphony, but a very good one. Of special pleasentness was the the 2nd movement with its nocturnal atmosphere and gentle beauty, and the folk music airs in the 3rd movement. Paraphrasing the Naxos booklet, it's a paean to the Portuguese nation, ending in jubilant triumph.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #140631 on: August 22, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »

Pierre Boulez: Le Marteau sans maître. Pierre Boulez, Ensemble Intercontemporain with contralto Hilary Summers. This is my first time listening to the piece in full. I was surprised how much of it is purely instrumental. I was expecting more of a cantata/song-cycle type of affair. Very good piece though!
What a great idea!  :) Listening to Boulez conduct Le Marteau sans maître with the same vocalist (Hillary Summers) but a different ensemble (the West-Eastern Divan):

Recorded live in Berlin in April 2010.
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„ Kein’ Musik ist ja nicht auf Erden, die unsrer verglichen kann werden“.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #140632 on: August 22, 2019, 01:35:09 PM »
^Awesome. You (I believe) showed me that Hommage à Boulez before, and I really want to get it. But I'm attempting to take a break from purchasing CDs online for the time being. It looks excellent, enjoy! I really enjoyed the Intercontemporain recording this morning. It definitely clicked like never before.

What of this recording...:

... any opinion...? I'm thinking of picking up a cheap box set on Sony which includes this work (it's entitled 20th Century Masterworks, and features a host of mostly extreme, far-out post-war avant-garde music in addition to the Boulez). I'm actually surprised how many times it has been recorded, especially by Boulez himself.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:55:51 PM by Que »

Offline Toccata and Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #140633 on: August 22, 2019, 03:27:11 PM »
Meh...great sound but rather pedestrian performances. (Luckily I could listen via Qobuz for free until my subscription expires in a week!)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #140634 on: August 22, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #140635 on: August 22, 2019, 04:37:12 PM »
Monteverdi, Marenzio and D'India:

Alan Curtis leads his group Il Complesso Barocco.  Special note is the participation of a youthful Roberta Invernizzi.  :)

Excellent recording and performance.

The Brilliant is a three disc set focusing exclusively on D'India.  Three different ensembles/settings.  Currently playing disc one of Duets.  Very beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:39:34 PM by HIPster »
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #140636 on: August 22, 2019, 04:44:50 PM »

I've a growing interest in Boccherini, SimonNZ.   ;)

Que recommended this outstanding recording recently:

Cheers!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #140637 on: August 22, 2019, 05:06:11 PM »
British String Concertos.
CD IV.

David Morgan, Concerto for Violin and Orchestra.
Erich Gruenberg, Violin. Philharmonia Orchestra, Vernon Handley.

Don Banks.
Concerto for Violin and orchestra.
Yfrah Neaman, Violin.
Royal PO, Norman Del Mar.

Alun Hoddinott.
Nocturnes and Cadenzas for Cello & Orchestra, opus 62.
Philharmonia Orchestra, Charles Groves.
Moray Welsh, Cello.

This set of 4 CD'S is to my ears a feast, a banquet full with the food of discovery. All works on this disc at first were new to me, but since then they have become firm members of my family. The Violin is my preferred solo instrument, and in this a am generously gifted two fine concertos by David Morgan and Don Banks. Hoddinott is represented with a fine piece for cello and orchestra. I am very happy with the performances and recordings.
Lyrita seldomly disappoints if it comes to the artistic and musical merit.

Heartlily second this, and extend it to the whole series of Lyrita boxes.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #140638 on: August 22, 2019, 05:19:26 PM »
I've a growing interest in Boccherini, SimonNZ.   ;)

Then that disc can be easily recommended. Beautifully played and sung. Will keep an eye out for that other one. Thanks.

now:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:22:15 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #140639 on: August 22, 2019, 05:22:31 PM »
^Awesome. You (I believe) showed me that Hommage à Boulez before, and I really want to get it. But I'm attempting to take a break from purchasing CDs online for the time being. It looks excellent, enjoy! I really enjoyed the Intercontemporain recording this morning. It definitely clicked like never before.

What of this recording...:

... any opinion...? I'm thinking of picking up a cheap box set on Sony which includes this work (it's entitled 20th Century Masterworks, and features a host of mostly extreme, far-out post-war avant-garde music in addition to the Boulez). I'm actually surprised how many times it has been recorded, especially by Boulez himself.
As to the Boulez... after multiple listens to various Boulez-directed recordings of lMsM, I still don't like the work [it seems that the later the work the more I like it when it comes to his compositions] but the one I disliked least was this one.

As to the Sony box, I have that. How much interest do you have in electronic music?  It contains a number of works by avant garde composers, especially electronica, that will probably never again be recorded.  It contains a Maderna concerto and Boulez's Sonatine that I liked, but otherwise it bored me or worse.  So if you are actually interested in music of that era, consider it a mandatory purchase. If, like me, you are not, it is a curiosity.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:56:58 PM by Que »

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk