What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: "Harry" on August 23, 2019, 01:57:37 PM
Let me say this about the recordings with the symphonies of Moyzes, first of all his music is highly original and let me say it, of great beauty. Furthermore there is nothing wrong with the performances or recordings, they are uniformly excellent. And I am listening on state of the Art equipment, so I should hear it if it were bad recordings, or even so so. And to wave away so easily the recordings of the Lajtha and Malipiero symphonies, has me in the curtains. With all due respect there is also absolutely nothing wrong with the sound and performances of these composers. We can argue whether you like the music or not, but not about the quality of the recordings for those are very good.  The light is most favourable on the Marco Polo labels, thank you!

Don't get me wrong, I always greatly appreciate the efforts of conductors, orchestras, and record labels to bring the music of lesser-known composers to light no matter what I may think of the performances themselves. But, to my ears, there is a certain amount of polish lacking in these recordings that might turn off potential listeners to Moyzes' music. For example, near the beginning of the finale of the 7th Symphony, there is some distinctly out-of-tune (to my ears!) playing by the violins of the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra. Let me reiterate: I don't think these recordings are bad by any means, and they certainly are valuable. All I'm saying is that they could be improved upon.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mookalafalas

Somewhat Schubertian Mozart. I like.
[asin]B07S86JCTS[/asin]
It's all good...

Que

The opening of the day had to with the Huelgas Ensemble:

[asin]B00005RSFO[/asin]
Recorded way back, in December 2000...
I hope that Van Nevel's health keeps up for a few more years (he is now 73) - he still got it!  :)

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-8003/

Q

Irons

George Dyson: Violin concerto.

Trust I am not being too controversial when I say decent British violin concertos are not plentiful. Perhaps this is down to exposure.
Case in point the Dyson concerto of which I didn't know of its existence up to last week. Unusually in four movements and only slightly let down by the last, a work I enjoyed very much. Lewis Foreman writes of violin concertos composed around the same time, that of Walton, Bax, and Moeran. So Dyson shares good company, and in Foreman's view a company Dyson shares as an equal, a sentiment I very much agree. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 23, 2019, 11:28:43 PM
George Dyson: Violin concerto.

Trust I am not being too controversial when I say decent British violin concertos are not plentiful. Perhaps this is down to exposure.
Case in point the Dyson concerto of which I didn't know of its existence up to last week. Unusually in four movements and only slightly let down by the last, a work I enjoyed very much. Lewis Foreman writes of violin concertos composed around the same time, that of Walton, Bax, and Moeran. So Dyson shares good company, and in Foreman's view a company Dyson shares as an equal, a sentiment I very much agree.
Do you know the one by Alwyn Lol? I think that it is the most underrated of them all.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Que

Now:

[asin]B000Y1BQXK[/asin]
A reissue from Dacapo.

Enjoyable, but as our Brian points out in his Musicweb review, performance-wise the 1st volume with Emma Kirkby under Mortensen is significantly better.

Q

Daverz

Quote from: André on August 23, 2019, 05:42:17 PM

Symphony no 9 just finished. In the last week I listened to nos 2, 4, 7, 8 and now 9.

Again a mixed batch, but overall a highly successful one.

It's been a while, but I remember hugely enjoying the playing of the SD in 6.   

SimonNZ

Quote from: HIPster on August 23, 2019, 07:50:14 PM
How is this recording, SimonNZ?  On my wishlist. . .

Actually I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by that. Its respectfully done, and follows if not the letter of the HIP law then at least the spirit of it.

now:

Que

Out of the wrapping:

[asin]B000VLR0JM[/asin]
I don't take to individual singers easily, but Jaroussky is certainly one of them.  :)

Q

Harry

Federico Maria Sardelli.

Baroque Concertos, chamber music.
Domine as adjuvandum me, Psalm 69 for Soprano Strings & BC.

Modo Antiquo, Federico Maria Sardelli.
Giulia Nuti Harpsichord.
Roberta Mameli, Soprano.

I hope from the bottom of my heart that Sardelli keeps on writing Neo Baroque concertos in quantity and quality. For all I hear, he could have been born in that time.
His concertos, chamber music and vocal pieces are pristine in their conception. Music that keeps you on your toes, charms, dazzle and let you dream away softly. Just the right amount of emotion, and attention to detail, ornamented with exquisite taste, and performed in a galant style. It all makes sense that he reinstates the Baroque era as open for more innovation and connecting it with the 21th century with such fine results.
Roberta Mameli, is one of my favourite sopranos as she is doing very well in the Psalm 69. Almost no vibrato but enough intensified singing to make you gasp with admiration. And as a bonus at the end of the disc we get a suite for Harpsichord played by Giulia Nuti, tremendous and exciting.
Sound is State of the Art.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Que on August 24, 2019, 01:37:53 AM
Out of the wrapping:

[asin]B000VLR0JM[/asin]
I don't take to individual singers easily, but Jaroussky is certainly one of them.  :)

Q

Well I admire you for being able to stand his voice, I can't :)

SimonNZ

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on August 24, 2019, 01:39:10 AM
Well I admire you for being able to stand his voice, I can't :)

The (dis)liking of a voice is rather personal and hard to predict.
I guess I got lucky,  I'm very picky with counter tenors.  :)

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 24, 2019, 02:07:15 AM

Repertoire that definitely interests me. Please, do tell!  :)

Q

SimonNZ

Quote from: Que on August 24, 2019, 02:17:04 AM
Repertoire that definitely interests me. Please, do tell!  :)

I'm afraid I'm a little disappointed by this disc. I don't know the music in any other recording so I can't say if that's the fault of the performance or the works themselves. Either way: lifeless and unenthusiastic.

Go with that Montiverdi you were drooling over.  ;)

Que

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 24, 2019, 02:22:02 AM
I'm afraid I'm a little disappointed by this disc. I don't know the music in any other recording so I can't say if that's the fault of the performance or the works themselves. Either way: lifeless and unenthusiastic.

Your findings are confirmed here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Jul/Merulo_motets_95243.htm

There are alternatives on Tactus that I need to check out. Thanks!

QuoteGo with that Montiverdi you were drooling over.  ;)

Got you...  :D

Harry

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 24, 2019, 02:22:02 AM

Go with that Montiverdi you were drooling over.  ;)

Yes, I had the same impression of that disc, so I hesitated buying it. Merulo would have been a disc I would grab immediately, but your review made it clear to me, that it is indeed lifeless.

Harry

Amori & Sospiri, Passions in Early Baroque Music.

Sances: Usurpator tiranno
Cazzati: Passacaglio
Caccini: Al fonte, al prato
Kapsberger: Toccata I
Uccellini: Aria V sopra la Bergamasca
Dalla Casa: Ancor che col partire
Picchi: Pass'e mezzo
Strozzi: Lagrime mie
Anonymous: Spagnoletta
Riccio: Canzon a una Flautin ov. Cornetto
Falconieri: O bellissimi capelli
Fontana: Sonata Nr. 1
Piccinini: Chaccona in partite variate

Ensemble Anthonello.
Midori Suzuki, soprano.

The sheer variety of the music presented on this disc is amazing. It is showing essential aspects of the music at the beginning of the Baroque period in general. And that is exactly the era that makes me happy. I never encountered this Japanese ensemble before, and I only knew Midori Suzuki, who was for a short time one of the Key sopranos in the BIS Bach cantatas series. A sweet voice, lost this girlish tone she had, but in its place a matured and somewhat warmer voice emerged out of it.
As I said the variety of the music is an important element in the success of this recording. Composers ranging from Giovanni Felice Sances, over to Giovanni Battista Riccio and much between. This ensemble is good, even very good.
As to the sound, well...superb would be the appropriate term.

Biffo

Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances - two-piano version - Ashkenazy & Previn. The enthusiastic  postings above, and others over the years, reminded me that the Dances always left me slightly disappointed without being able to say why. For many years I only had one orchestral version - Ashkenazy/Concertgebpouw; the Gergiev is a very recent acquisition and it had the same effect. I enjoy the two-piano version more. Given the general enthusiasm, it is probably just me.