What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Music in Europe at the time of the Renaissance. Compiled by Jerome Lejeune.
CD VIII.

England-Sacred Music.
Roland de Lassus.

The first four tracks are dedicated to English sacred music, with composers like Thomas Tallis, Orlando Gibbons, and Thomas Morley, the last one I liked best. "Out of the deep", with Philippe Froeliger as tenor, Jorge Lopez Escribano on Organ and Vox Luminis, directed by Lionel Meunier. Quite impressive.
The rest of the CD is almost entirely dedicated to one of the greatest composers of the Renaissance, Roland de Lassus. Unfortunately Clement Janequin, directed by Dominique Visse, is spoiling the show a bit, by their predictable high pitched singing, quite aggressive too, which is not really my preference. On the other side we have the beautiful rendition of "Prologus & Sibylla Persica", by Ensemble Daedalus, directed by Roberto Festa. It takes your breath away. Not to forget "Cantai, hor piango, performed by the Huelgas Ensemble, Paul van Nevel directing. He almost never disappoints.
"Susanne un jour" by Girolamo Dalla Casa, with Jean Tubery on the Cornet, and the Ricercar Consort directed by Philippe Pierlot is a piece that seeks to impress by its simplicity and it succeeds with flying colours.
So this CD is also a great addition to understanding all the music from that time.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: André on September 10, 2019, 02:54:21 PM

Szell concerts with the Cleveland and NYP orchestras. Disc no 2: Weber, Euryanthe Overture; Wagner, Prelude and Good Friday music from Parsifal; Beethoven, symphony no 6, 'pastorale'.

Great performances all from 1957 concerts in Severance Hall. The sound is okay, but there are no soft dynamics at all. A bracing, exhilarating performance. The strings have incredible weight and incisiveness. The storm in the Pastorale must have been heard across Lake Erie !

Have you heard the 1970 Tokyo? One of his final concerts before he passed... insane quality... greatest Sibelius 2 I've ever heard; large orchestras just aren't supposed to be able to play with that much precision, nobody could touch them in that regard ... it's an incredible record
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

vandermolen

Pohjola's Daughter:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

This splendid disc features all the Massenet trademarks: heart-on-sleeve lyricism, refined beauty and strong melodic appeal. If you love French art songs, this is a must.

A nice compilation of French piano music around 1900.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

André

Quote from: ChopinBroccoli on September 11, 2019, 09:26:22 AM
Have you heard the 1970 Tokyo? One of his final concerts before he passed... insane quality... greatest Sibelius 2 I've ever heard; large orchestras just aren't supposed to be able to play with that much precision, nobody could touch them in that regard ... it's an incredible record

Yes I did. It's the best Szell 2nd, followed by the RCOA on Philips. The Cleveland version in this Szell box is impressive, but rather tense and hurried in movements I-III. It litterally explodes in the finale, though. The Cleveland in Tokyo is one of the top 3 ever IMO.

Traverso

Prokofiev

Violin Concerto No. 1 & 2

André

Another one of those insanely inexpensive offers from JPC. 2 discs for 5.99€.

Disc one includes his mammoth 1916 piano quintet. 3 movements, 52 minutes. First listen. Falls quite well on the ear. Some arresting moments, some more discursive ones. I will need to hear it at least 2 more times to absorb it correctly. The disc is completed by 3 piano pieces that in their structure and feeling made me think of Schubert's own 3 klavierstücke D 946. This is much more easily absorbed and makes an instantly favourable impression.

Disc 2 of this CPO set includes a piano sonata, a piano, violin and viola trio (unusual intrumentation) and a bunch of lieder. Will listen to it later this week. Detailed notes, texts and translations.

Cato

Concerning Sibelius:

Quote from: vandermolen on September 11, 2019, 09:26:45 AM
Pohjola's Daughter:

Quote from: ChopinBroccoli on September 11, 2019, 09:26:22 AM

Quote from: André on September 11, 2019, 09:40:09 AM
Yes I did. It's the best Szell 2nd, followed by the RCOA on Philips. The Cleveland version in this Szell box is impressive, but rather tense and hurried in movements I-III. It litterally explodes in the finale, though. The Cleveland in Tokyo is one of the top 3 ever IMO.

This must be Sibelius day: recently I have been re-listening to the Akeo Watanabe/ Japan Philharmonic sets from the early 1960's and the 1980's.  The Fourth Symphony (1983) I heard again this morning.

[asin]B000OLG7RU[/asin]

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Traverso on September 11, 2019, 03:34:42 AM
Well,I think I have to look at these. ;)

I hope you find pleasure with them.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Cato on September 11, 2019, 06:46:32 AM
Over 800 "Guests" online here: this is the 4th time I have tried this!   :P :P :P ??? ??? ???

Avenir de Monfred was a 20th-century Russian-French composer, who created a theory of composition called The New Diatonic Modal, which he hoped would become a counterbalance to the New Vienna School.

https://www.youtube.com/v/JyOcvl54NXQ

Well, I can't say I liked it. It's rather monotonous. The New Vienna School seems tastier for me.  ;)

The excessive noise was another disadvantage.

SymphonicAddict

Schulhoff - Symphonies 4 & 6: Enjoying the only Schulhoff symphonies I didn't know. Raw, relentless, of a militaristic spirit, mildly ironic, with some gestures that reminded me of Shostakovich. The 6th seemed more optimistic with its glowing choral 4th movement, though. Vibrant stuff. What I was missing! Thanks to Kyle for mentioning them the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/v/taHxe2kIHJI

http://www.youtube.com/v/p548Hccm1_s

Roslavets – Chamber symphony No. 1: There is another chamber symphony on Hyperion, being that his No. 2 (which is also a noteworthy piece). I didn't know the existence of a previous one till now and it's brilliant. The orchestration is crystalline and effective. Lots of a Bergian flavour are perceived throughout. If you like dissonant and modern but attractive works, you'll find pleasure with the Roslavets

http://www.youtube.com/v/zyB01jPpE7w

j winter

QuoteThis must be Sibelius day...

Yep indeed!  Or it was yesterday in these parts... this is the first time I've been able to log in since around this time yesterday....

Sibelius 4 & 5, Ashkenazy

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: André on September 11, 2019, 09:40:09 AM

Definitely... I was blown away by it
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

premont

Quote from: "Harry" on September 11, 2019, 07:36:37 AM
Music in Europe at the time of the Renaissance. Compiled by Jerome Lejeune.

I obviously need that box.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ken B

Brahms
Symphony 1
BPO Karajan
The 1960s recording

SimonNZ

Quote from: Traverso on September 11, 2019, 03:46:12 AM
A fine collection I must say,the Monteverdi recording is one of the best. :)

Oh definitely. Its just a pity Parrott and co didn't go on to record more of or the complete Selva e Morale.

SimonNZ

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 11, 2019, 09:37:18 AM
A bit more information about this:

https://www.discogs.com/Austin-Miskell-And-Elizabethan-Consort-Of-Viols-Directed-By-Dennis-Nesbitt-Adieu-MAmour-French-Love-/release/10689941

What do you think of Bill Austin Miskell?

Just a first listen but it sounded quite a dated approach to me.

That was a Record Society club reissue, the original appears to be this:

Not quite sure how HMV define that as "Baroque"

vandermolen

Roy Harris: Symphony 7
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 11, 2019, 12:35:03 PM
Oh definitely. Its just a pity Parrott and co didn't go on to record more of or the complete Selva e Morale.

My thoughts exactly,the last recordings I purchased were the Monteverdi "Orfeo"and this beautiful Bach recording