What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 11, 2019, 11:28:50 AM
I obviously need that box.

This is also a nice one  ;)

https://cavema.be/en/discography/choeur-de-chambre/116-reforme-et-contre-reforme

I have two of these volumes and I fully agree with Harry's comments.

André

A friend made me a copy of the Requiem by Vyacheslav Artyomov. It seems to have been recorded only once, but upon looking its availability on disc I found it under 5 different guises. The performance is with the Moscow Philharmonic under Dimitri Kitaenko. There's half a dozen soloists, and I didn't compare all the back covers to spot any difference between all the releases, so it's possible that Kitaenko and the Moscow Phil recorded the work more than once.

In any case, I have to say that, contrary to my previous experience with this composer, I found much to sustain the interest. Musicweb's Rob Barnett wrote a useful and insightful review here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Nov/Artyomov_requiem_DDA25173.htm

listener

BEETHOVEN:  Piano Concerto no.2 op.19   Piano Concerto in Eb  WoO. 4 - solo piano version
Concert Rondo in Bb  WoO. 6
Annette Töpel, piano    Harleshäuser Chamber Orch.      Matthias Enkemeier, cond.
POPPER:  20 pieces for Cello and Piano
Janos Starker  (clothed), cello   Shigeo Neriki, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Irons

Ravel: Daphnis and Chloé.

The attraction was Ma Mére l'Oye but it is Daphnis that stole the show with the most atmospheric rendition I have heard. I admired the few recordings Skrowaczewski with his Minneapolis (as it was called then) Orchestra made for Mercury. This for Vox is better still.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Cato

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 11, 2019, 10:19:52 AM

Well, I can't say I liked it. It's rather monotonous. The New Vienna School seems tastier for me.  ;)

The excessive noise was another disadvantage.

True thrice: I was disappointed by this first hearing.

Quote from: André on September 11, 2019, 01:37:46 PM

A friend made me a copy of the Requiem by Vyacheslav Artyomov. It seems to have been recorded only once, but upon looking its availability on disc I found it under 5 different guises. The performance is with the Moscow Philharmonic under Dimitri Kitaenko. There's half a dozen soloists, and I didn't compare all the back covers to spot any difference between all the releases, so it's possible that Kitaenko and the Moscow Phil recorded the work more than once.

In any case, I have to say that, contrary to my previous experience with this composer, I found much to sustain the interest.

I will need to listen again soon to this work
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on September 11, 2019, 01:47:59 PM
Ravel: Daphnis and Chloé.

The attraction was Ma Mére l'Oye but it is Daphnis that stole the show with the most atmospheric rendition I have heard. I admired the few recordings Skrowaczewski with his Minneapolis (as it was called then) Orchestra made for Mercury. This for Vox is better still.

ALL of the Ravel recorded by this combination is very good.  Transformed when released on CD.  I'd known it through the old warp-prone crackly Vox LP's and suddenly on CD the brilliance of the music making was revealed.  The (complete) Ma Mere L'Oye and a sparkling Alborada highlights for me alongside the Daphnis Suites.....

From an Amazon review...." [These] were recorded by the famous team of Marc Aubort and the late Joanna Nickrenz who were among the first to use Dolby A Noise reduction (called Dolby s/n stretcher), which for the first time achieved a signal to noise ratio of over 80 db on magnetic tape. These recordings were made in the mid to late 1970's for the Vox/Turnabaout label in the new Minnesota Orchestra Hall. This hall is considered by many to be the most acoustically perfect hall in the world. Marc Aubort and Joanna Nickrenz captured the orchestra and ambient hall beautifully. There is great detail yet the hall reverberation is captured to great and beautiful effect which really enhances the performance."

Ken B

Mahler
Symphony 1
Concertgebouw Bernstein

SymphonicAddict

Interesting but their secrets are not revealed at first tries. They require more patience.

André

The organ concerto is challenging music set in a challenging sound world. The symphony inhabits a different sphere. It is coruscating, airy, almost pointillistic. It is also challenging but for a different reason: the musical argument is hard to pin. It makes me think of those glass cages with a blower where someone tries to catch dollar bills. I find myself more attuned to the symphony than the concerto. Although titled « no 1 » by the composer, it seems to be his only symphony.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on September 11, 2019, 12:42:34 PM
Roy Harris: Symphony 7

What do you think, Jeffrey?

Thread Duty:

Weinberg
String Quartets
# 2, Op. 3/145 # 12, Op. 103, # 17, Op. 146
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Bach's Cantata 51 with Maria Stader singing and Karl Richter conducting

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 11, 2019, 07:25:30 PM
What do you think, Jeffrey?

Thread Duty:

Weinberg
String Quartets
# 2, Op. 3/145 # 12, Op. 103, # 17, Op. 146

I rate Roy Harris 7th Smphony very highly Karl. It is characteristically sibelian I think with great washes of sound. My favourite Harris symphonies in order are 3,7,6,5 and 1.

Thread duty (last night):

William Schuman: Symphony 6 - his masterpiece along with No.3 I think. I like these NZSO performances although reviews of them were rather mixed:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

Tsaraslondon

The English choral tradition at its best.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Traverso

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 11, 2019, 10:02:46 PM

I listened to this recording a few weeks ago,part of this attractive box.

Harry

Music in Germany from Schutz to Bach. Compiled by Jerome Lejeune.

CD 1.
Composers on disc I.
Martin Luther,Michael Altenburg, Michael Praetorius, Johann Bach, Andreas Hammerschmidt, Samuel Scheidt, Johann Hermann Schein, Johann Rudolph Ahle.

Performers:
Vox Luminis, Lionel Meunier, Choeur de Chambre de Namur, Denis Menier, Greta de Reyghere, Agnes Mellon, Guy De Mey, Ricercar consort, Capella Ricercar, La Fenice, Philippe Pierlot, Henri Ledroit.

This is the second box in de series Jerome Lejeune released over the years. I bought 3 of them for a pittance, but they are worth more as I paid for them. After the Renaissance box you have to turn around your soul to music that is  totally different, especially if it comes to the emotional content, and the protestant spirituality it is more in line with my upbringing, and therefore akin to the call of my soul. Most of the performers I met previous in the Renaissance box, so I know what to expect. Vox Luminis is a favourite, and they open the journey with Luther's "Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott" an apt start me thinks. I will pick some highlights along the way just to give an impression of this CD. "Unser Leben ist ein Schatten "by Johann Bach is a stunning piece, with two beautiful sopranos, (not named) from Vox Luminis, as is by the same ensemble "Surrexit Christus Hodie" composed by Samuel Scheidt and the deeply felt "Ist nicht Ephraim, mein teurer Sohn" by the same composer. The gravitas and concentration is amazing and highly satisfying in this performance. Well balanced singing from Greta De Reyghere and Agnes Mellon in "Christ unser Herr zum Jordan kam" composed by Johann Hermann Schein.
"Wo ist der neugeborene König" composed by Andreas Hammerschmidt, is a deeply moving piece, and well performed by Greta De Reyghere & Agnes Mellon, Guy de Mey and Victor Demaiffe as Bass. Ricercar consort together with Capella Ricercar.  The following track with Greta De Reyghere "Sonata super Nun Lobt , mein Seel, den Heren" also by Hammerschmidt is pretty impressive, especially the winds of the Ricercar Consort.
And as a surprise, which I did not expect, is the fine performance of the counter Henri Ledroit, in Jesu dulcis memoria, by the composer Johann Rudolph Ahle. He has a pleasant voice, and together with the Ricercar Consort, it is a winning combination. The music is really nice.
Sound overall is excellent, and hardly complaints about the performances.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Quote from: "Harry" on September 12, 2019, 12:48:33 AM
Music in Germany from Schutz to Bach. Compiled by Jerome Lejeune.

CD 1.
Composers on disc I.
Martin Luther,Michael Altenburg, Michael Praetorius, Johann Bach, Andreas Hammerschmidt, Samuel Scheidt, Johann Hermann Schein, Johann Rudolph Ahle.

Performers:
Vox Luminis, Lionel Meunier, Choeur de Chambre de Namur, Denis Menier, Greta de Reyghere, Agnes Mellon, Guy De Mey, Ricercar consort, Capella Ricercar, La Fenice, Philippe Pierlot, Henri Ledroit.

This is the second box in de series Jerome Lejeune released over the years. I bought 3 of them for a pittance, but they are worth more as I paid for them. After the Renaissance box you have to turn around your soul to music that is  totally different, especially if it comes to the emotional content, and the protestant spirituality it is more in line with my upbringing, and therefore akin to the call of my soul. Most of the performers I met previous in the Renaissance box, so I know what to expect. Vox Luminis is a favourite, and they open the journey with Luther's "Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott" an apt start me thinks. I will pick some highlights along the way just to give an impression of this CD. "Unser Leben ist ein Schatten "by Johann Bach is a stunning piece, with two beautiful sopranos, (not named) from Vox Luminis, as is by the same ensemble "Surrexit Christus Hodie" composed by Samuel Scheidt and the deeply felt "Ist nicht Ephraim, mein teurer Sohn" by the same composer. The gravitas and concentration is amazing and highly satisfying in this performance. Well balanced singing from Greta De Reyghere and Agnes Mellon in "Christ unser Herr zum Jordan kam" composed by Johann Hermann Schein.
"Wo ist der neugeborene König" composed by Andreas Hammerschmidt, is a deeply moving piece, and well performed by Greta De Reyghere & Agnes Mellon, Guy de Mey and Victor Demaiffe as Bass. Ricercar consort together with Capella Ricercar.  The following track with Greta De Reyghere "Sonata super Nun Lobt , mein Seel, den Heren" also by Hammerschmidt is pretty impressive, especially the winds of the Ricercar Consort.
And as a surprise, which I did not expect, is the fine performance of the counter Henri Ledroit, in Jesu dulcis memoria, by the composer Johann Rudolph Ahle. He has a pleasant voice, and together with the Ricercar Consort, it is a winning combination. The music is really nice.
Sound overall is excellent, and hardly complaints about the performances.

Greta De Reyghere has a beautiful voice and Henri Ledroit  died far too young and was trained by the the famous Alfred Deller.This set is on my wishlist.

Andy D.

An amazing birthday gift from maestro Karl Henning!!!

the entire Kondrashian Shostakovich Symphonies cycle (listened to #5 last night and  YES! Really seemed to emphasize the Mahler influence on that symph)

the entire Rozhdestvensky Prokofiev symphony cycle

Shosty's Preludes and Fugues (Nikolayeva) and....

the Shost. Violin Concerto 2 as performed by Kremer (this  one I took the time to listen to for the first time last night and was quite impressed)

Many thanks, Karl, this was my only birthday present (besides my mom's usual 50). I was feeling almost completely alone for my birthday when this package came in...nobody to spend my birthday with, just that one perfunctory gift from my mom.

I'm so grateful, Karl. These CDs will be listened to until their grooves wear off!

Biffo

Also listening to Sibelius over the last couple of days - Symphonies 4 & 5 - Berglund conducting the Bournemouth SO