What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.9 in D major. Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic. I was going to listen to the Giulini/Chicago recording, but for some reason Lenny's recording was calling to me...  ;D I am really enjoying it. Currently on the final Adagio. I am still working on understanding this huge symphony, but in the mean time it will suffice to just enjoy the beautiful music, and figure out what it's supposed to "mean", if anything, later. It is so very different from any of Mahler's other symphonies, yet it may be the most "Mahlerian" symphony he ever wrote, if that makes any sense at all.

aligreto

Zelenka: Sonata No. III for two oboes and bassoon [Ensemble Zefiro]

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on September 22, 2019, 12:26:08 AM

The sacred music is his best kept secret, imho....

I very much agree there.

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on September 22, 2019, 02:28:24 AM
Thanks. Interesting --- and funny.

I never follow the libretto while listening, I just go with the flow. Given that many (most?) opera libretti, especially Baroque ones, are rubbish, knowing exactly what's going on isn't that important to me. I treat the voice as just another instrument and wallow in the sound. It might not be the best approach, but it works for me. With the famous operas a synopsis read before listening will do just fine....

My strategy and approach too in most cases. My exception is on my occasional listen to Wagner.

Traverso

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 22, 2019, 05:01:27 AM

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.9 in D major. Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic. I was going to listen to the Giulini/Chicago recording, but for some reason Lenny's recording was calling to me...  ;D I am really enjoying it. Currently on the final Adagio. I am still working on understanding this huge symphony, but in the mean time it will suffice to just enjoy the beautiful music, and figure out what it's supposed to "mean", if anything, later. It is so very different from any of Mahler's other symphonies, yet it may be the most "Mahlerian" symphony he ever wrote, if that makes any sense at all.

Well,it makes sense to me,the ninth and  Das Lied von der Erde are both late works and have in some way much in common and for that reaon only are my favorite orchestral works,for me Das Lied von der Erde is a symphony but let us not quarrel about that. ;)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aligreto on September 22, 2019, 05:00:26 AM
Those were my first Locatelli CD purchases many moons ago and I enjoyed them then and still do.

Along very similar lines, equally joyous and equally brilliantly played by the Capella Istropolitana are the Manfredini Concerti

[asin]B000026CWI[/asin]

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on September 22, 2019, 05:06:51 AM
My strategy and approach too in most cases. My exception is on my occasional listen to Wagner.

For all the wisdom it holds  ? ;)

aligreto

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 22, 2019, 05:12:44 AM
Along very similar lines, equally joyous and equally brilliantly played by the Capella Istropolitana are the Manfredini Concerti

[asin]B000026CWI[/asin]

How very interesting as I also bought that one around the same time as the 2 Locatelli CDs above. Happy listening.

Biffo

Schoenberg: String Quartet No 2 in F sharp minor - LaSalle Quartet with Margaret Price soprano

aligreto

Haydn: String Quartet Op. 74/3 [Kodaly Quartet]

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on September 22, 2019, 05:14:40 AM
For all the wisdom it holds  ? ;)

Possibly so. I just find that there is so much going on there that I do need a little help and guidance.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on September 22, 2019, 03:53:58 AM
I may assume that you are quite content with this set?

Still one disc to go, but I got fair impression...  :)

I guess "quite content" covers it.
It's the best Wilhelm Friedemann Bach I've encountered sofar, with quite some interesting stuff.. and some less spell binding stuf... Astronio's performances are really excellent, showing the music at its best.
All in all, a set worthwhile for those interested in keyboard music of thst period. But WF wouldn't be near the top of my shortlist. Keyboard music in similar style by lesser known composers of the period, like Georg Anton Benda or Christlieb Siegmund Binder, is at least as good, if not better.

Happy birthday, by the way.  :)

Did you notice the thread dedicated to the occasion?
https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29165.0.html

Q

vers la flamme

Quote from: Traverso on September 22, 2019, 05:09:46 AM
Well,it makes sense to me,the ninth and  Das Lied von der Erde are both late works and have in some way much in common and for that reaon only are my favorite orchestral works,for me Das Lied von der Erde is a symphony but let us not quarrel about that. ;)

I might agree that DLvdE and the 9th may be two sides of the same coin. I have to spend more time with each of them. The 9th is very new to me. I first heard it last week. I've been listening to Das Lied von der Erde for a few months now. I don't see Das Lied as a symphony per se, but as Mahler's greatest song cycle and the pinnacle of his contribution to that genre (as the 9th is to the genre of the symphony...?). But indeed, let's not quarrel.  ;D

Quote from: aligreto on September 22, 2019, 05:23:18 AM
Haydn: String Quartet Op. 74/3 [Kodaly Quartet]

Awesome. I am trying to get my hands on all of the Kodály Quartet Haydn that I can. I've been listening to their op.33 a lot, and have one of their op.20 discs coming in the mail to me today (hopefully). They are so good. Haydn's string quartets are incredible.

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Tsaraslondon

A nice collection, and a good introduction to some American classics. If the performances are not all top drawer, they are all perfectly acceptable.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Traverso

Webern

Very enjoyable and accessable

Christiane Oelze, Eric Schneider

Lieder CD 4

Que

aligreto

Handel: The Alchymist [Hogwood]

This is a vibrant, jaunty presentation.

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 22, 2019, 05:29:40 AM

Awesome. I am trying to get my hands on all of the Kodály Quartet Haydn that I can. I've been listening to their op.33 a lot, and have one of their op.20 discs coming in the mail to me today (hopefully). They are so good. Haydn's string quartets are incredible.

Yes, I also like the Haydn String Quartets quite a lot. I do also like the Kodaly CDs on Naxos. I do not have them all but I have most of them and they serve the music very well for me.

Maestro267

A. Butterworth: Viola Concerto
Bradley (viola)/RSNO/Butterworth

Britten: Sinfonia da Requiem
New Philharmonia Orchestra/Britten