What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Dazzling, effortless virtuosity, but it's all Florestan and no Eusebius.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Mozart: String Quartets Nos. 1-3 [Talich Quartet]

I find these to be very exciting and engaging works which are given very fine, ardent performances here.

aligreto

Beethoven: Triple Concerto [Oistrakh/Oborin/Knushevitsky - Sargent]

This is a bold, assertive reading of this very fine work. The slow movement is a particularly lyrical interpretation of this movement. The outer movements are both energetic and exuberant.

vandermolen

Andrew Davis's Vaughan Williams cycle (Teldec/Warner) has had quite a bad press (other than No.6 and 'Job'), nevertheless I have found this to be a very moving and involving performance. Ideal listening on a rainy Sunday afternoon:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on September 22, 2019, 05:34:51 AM

A nice collection, and a good introduction to some American classics. If the performances are not all top drawer, they are all perfectly acceptable.
Yes, this was a very nice BBC Music Magazine disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 22, 2019, 05:03:32 AM
I very much agree there.

I had an unusually early morning, and my brain is still warming up ... I misread Andrei at first ... "the sacred music is best kept secret"... needless to say, I did a quick double-take.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on September 22, 2019, 05:14:40 AM
For all the wisdom it holds  ? ;)

"What are they all bellowing about?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 22, 2019, 07:34:25 AM
Mozart: String Quartets Nos. 1-3 [Talich Quartet]

I find these to be very exciting and engaging works which are given very fine, ardent performances here.

Beauty!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 22, 2019, 08:57:02 AM
"What are they all bellowing about?"

You have a fine way with words sir.,by the way,could Wagner have been an american ?:D

Karl Henning

Nielsen
Symphonies # 1 & 6
NSO Ireland
Leaper
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on September 22, 2019, 12:51:31 AM
Thanks. What is funny, though, is that I mistook that box for this:

which I'm halfway through.  :D

(I also have the King set --- hence the error --- but haven't listened to it yet.)
I like the King set, though for individual pieces there are often better recordings it's a very nice thing to have. His Purcell is superb.

Que

aligreto

Dvorak: Symphony No. 5 [Jansons]

I really like this work and I think that it was a major step for the composer in his development. Jansons offers a particularly wonderful presentation of this very fine work. I particularly like the scoring for the woodwinds throughout this work.  The brass in the first movement, the lower register strings in the second movement as well as the brass in the final movement are also stand out features of the scoring. The final movement is a thrilling listen.

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 22, 2019, 08:55:32 AM
I had an unusually early morning, and my brain is still warming up ... I misread Andrei at first ... "the sacred music is best kept secret"... needless to say, I did a quick double-take.

That is definitely allowed, kind sir.

aligreto

André

Quote from: aligreto on September 22, 2019, 10:42:04 AM
Dvorak: Symphony No. 5 [Jansons]

I really like this work and I think that it was a major step for the composer in his development. Jansons offers a particularly wonderful presentation of this very fine work. I particularly like the scoring for the woodwinds throughout this work.  The brass in the first movement, the lower register strings in the second movement as well as the brass in the final movement are also stand out features of the scoring. The final movement is a thrilling listen.

It's a marvelous work indeed, Dvorak proudly hitting his stride. One of the only two symphonies by Dvorak I've heard in concert (the other being no 7).

André

Not advertised on the cover is the inclusion of the lovely Serenade for strings, separating the two main items on offer. A very nice, intelligent programmatic touch.

Traverso

Bach

Triple Concerto BWV 1044

First time I listened to this work was from this LP.It is such a fine piece,the  introvert melancholy of the Traverso......:angel: