What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Starting off the morning with a re-run of this issue:

[asin]B005FMQBG0[/asin]

QuoteAlessandro Scarlatti's choral music hardly gets a look in alongside his hundreds of cantatas and 60-odd operas. But though neither of the two major works in this beautifully realised collection, a Dixit Dominus and a Magnificat, can be accurately dated, both works show the eloquence of Scarlatti's contrapuntal craftsmanship in an unadorned style that looks back to Palestrina and the masters of the late Renaissance in the 16th century.

With just one singer to a part, the performances by Concerto Italiano are beguilingly beautiful, with every fleck of expressive detail exactly placed, and the sound of each syllable lovingly relished. With the ravishing collection of five madrigals that are also included, Rinaldo Alessandrini's group are on more familiar ground, for Scarlatti's illustrative style harks back this time to early Monteverdi - particularly to the madrigals from his first four collections, with a touch of Gesualdo's clashing dissonances thrown in for good measure.

Andrew Clements
The Guardian, Friday 3 August 2007

Q

Que

Staying with Italian Baroque - another new acquisition:

[asin]B002NULLCG[/asin]

Q

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony #84 E flat, Harnoncourt conducting the Concentus Musicus Wien

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony #84 E flat, Fey conducting the Heidelbergers

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on February 16, 2013, 07:30:59 PM
I will say this, the Constantin Silvestri Complete EMI Recordings box set which arrived in my mailbox today is already, after just a few listens, promising to be a contender for my 2013 Purchase of the Year. Cannot WAIT to hear the rest.
I only have a couple of discs with him conducting, but it is some excellent work for the most part. I was quite impressed as well. A shame I didn't wait a little longer to get the Icon box!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony #83 G minor, Fey conducting the Heidelbergers

Sarge

John Copeland

First on the list today is...

BRAHMS SYMPHONY 1
RATTLE
BPO

Brian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 17, 2013, 05:13:25 AM
I only have a couple of discs with him conducting, but it is some excellent work for the most part. I was quite impressed as well. A shame I didn't wait a little longer to get the Icon box!

ImportCDs has it for about $25 for 15 CDs, so it's not like you're losing a ton of money...

Sarge, who won the battle of the Haydn 84s?

jlaurson

Research-listening:

Last night:

B. Martinů
Symphonies 1-6
J.Bělohlávek / BBC SO 

Onyx

German link - UK link

B. Martinů
Symphonies 1-6
Vladimír Válek / Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra

Supraphon

German link - UK link

Symphony No. 5 right now. Generally, these are kick-ass recordings, overshadowed by Bělohlávek's BBC cycle (finally he got those symphonies right; he had enough attempts!)... but at the very least kicking the rear of everything that had come before him, since the 60s.

Will probably continue with Bělohlávek's Gilgamesh, Neumann's 5 & 6, Hogwood's and Bělohlávek's Violin Concerto No.2, and various chamber and piano music.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on February 17, 2013, 06:13:15 AM
ImportCDs has it for about $25 for 15 CDs, so it's not like you're losing a ton of money...

Sarge, who won the battle of the Haydn 84s?

Fey. Those horns are incredible.

Sarge

Fafner

Done with:

[asin]B000007ODY[/asin]

And now:

Wagner - Walküre
Marek Janowski

[asin]B006XOBFJC[/asin]
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 17, 2013, 05:38:53 AM
Haydn Symphony #83 G minor, Fey conducting the Heidelbergers

Sarge
No more hobbits on the cover?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on February 17, 2013, 06:56:52 AM
No more hobbits on the cover?

An incredibly boring cover. If Hänssler didn't want to use a hobbit again, they could've opted for a dwarf or wizard instead.

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 17, 2013, 07:24:49 AM
An incredibly boring cover. If Hänssler didn't want to use a hobbit again, they could've opted for a ... wizard instead.

Sarge

But so they did! Can nothing please you?!

Thread duty:

B. Martinů
Symphonies 1-6
Vladimír Válek / Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra

Supraphon

German link - UK link

Symphonies 3 & 4.  The Fifth is particularly strong, but they're all just so very good. Kind of listened to them in the background the first few times... and that's deadly for Martinu. Especially his symphonies.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on February 17, 2013, 07:26:46 AM
But so they did! Can nothing please you?!

He may be a wizard, but could he defeat a Balrog? I think not.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

While waiting for the rosemary potatoes to finish roasting, listening to another of the wizard's masterpieces: String Quartet op.77/1

Sarge

Lisz

A collection I had forgotten I had. Streaming from the Amazon Cloud.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 17, 2013, 07:46:46 AM
He may be a wizard, but could he defeat a Balrog? I think not.

Sarge
Actually he may have (we'll never know). All he would have to do is write him out of the opera! Someone once mentioned it was originally entitled Orfeo and the Nasty, Smelly Balrog before he decided to bow to conventional wisdom and run with Euridice! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 17, 2013, 07:53:53 AM
Actually he may have (we'll never know). All he would have to do is write him out of the opera! Someone once mentioned it was originally entitled Orfeo and the Nasty, Smelly Balrog before he decided to bow to conventional wisdom and run with Euridice! :)

;D ;D ;D

TheGSMoeller

Anton Bruckner: Jam Lucis Orto Sidere Dignare

Have become obsessively fascinated with Bruckner's motet  Jam Lucis Orto Sidere Dignare. Have found three highly successful but quite differently performed recordings. The first is from The Choir of St. Bride's Church, utilizing a mixed choir of both male and female voices, and an organ. Choir of St. Mary's Cathedral sounds to be performed only by a smaller male choir.  And finally the Choeurs d'enfants de Saint Christophe de Javel , a children's choir and solo tenor (an adult/mature voice) accompanied by organ. I only own the complete Naxos album of motets, and purchased the solo track on iTunes of the other two.