What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Fafner on March 05, 2013, 02:48:29 AM
Now this:

Smetana - Má Vlast
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Václav Talich (1954, mono)

How do you think it compares with Ančerl? :)

Q

North Star

Berlioz
Symphonie fantastique
Colin Davis & RCO

[asin]B000E6EH1S[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: huntsman on March 05, 2013, 08:43:50 AM
Well, I've just spent two wonderful hours listening to the Barbirolli and took the plunge, buying this as a download from iTunes,,,

I probably wouldn't have started off with that Lloyd-Jones Hiawatha recording for the simple fact that these works, aside from the Double Concerto are lesser-known works by Delius. Not to undermine your decision, of course, but I would have bought a recording containing the Florida Suite, which Handley/Ulster Orchestra is my recommendation for this work, but you already listened to the Barbirolli so that 2-CD set contains a nice mixture of early and late works. My first exposure to Delius was through Charles Mackerras.

Just a curious question, but how long have you been listening to classical music?

huntsman

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 05, 2013, 09:11:43 AM
I probably wouldn't have started off with that Lloyd-Jones Hiawatha recording for the simple fact that these works, aside from the Double Concerto are lesser-known works by Delius. Not to undermine your decision, of course, but I would have bought a recording containing the Florida Suite, which Handley/Ulster Orchestra is my recommendation for this work, but you already listened to the Barbirolli so that 2-CD set contains a nice mixture of early and late works. My first exposure to Delius was through Charles Mackerras.

Ha! No confusion there; I read somewhere that this piece was not easy to find so when I saw it was available as a download with no postage costs and hassle, I dived in.  I've subsequently seen it available at Presto also, (via Dutton), but no matter, I wanted it TODAY, and if he's as good as I suspect, I would in any case have ensured that I also obtain some 'off-the-wall' stuff in order to get a more complete picture.

I'm still midway through the Delius thread and will return to it for further enlightenment.

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 05, 2013, 09:11:43 AMJust a curious question, but how long have you been listening to classical music?

That is curious indeed - Now, how to answer....

I've listened on and off for 35 years, mainly to Mozart, Pavarotti and Vivaldi, etc, but have become really active in the last month, learning as much as possible from the forums. I'm still very green, though, as you obviously gauged... ;)

RAP - Add a C to improve it...

Mirror Image

Quote from: huntsman on March 05, 2013, 09:31:14 AM
Ha! No confusion there; I read somewhere that this piece was not easy to find so when I saw it was available as a download with no postage costs and hassle, I dived in.  I've subsequently seen it available at Presto also, (via Dutton), but no matter, I wanted it TODAY, and if he's as good as I suspect, I would in any case have ensured that I also obtain some 'off-the-wall' stuff in order to get a more complete picture.

I'm still midway through the Delius thread and will return to it for further enlightenment.

That is curious indeed - Now, how to answer....

I've listened on and off for 35 years, mainly to Mozart, Pavarotti and Vivaldi, etc, but have become really active in the last month, learning as much as possible from the forums. I'm still very green, though, as you obviously gauged... ;)

I'm certainly glad you've decided to give Delius a chance, but it seems like his music touched your ear almost immediately which is always a good sign that you will probably be returning to the music the more in-depth you get with the composer. He is my absolute favorite composer and though it may seem that I'm biased towards his music, please bear in mind, that there are still several works by Delius that I simply haven't cracked yet, but those are few and far between. Yes, please keep reading the Delius thread.

Good to hear you're into this music and have been for quite some time. I've only be seriously listening for four years, but I've known about and have heard classical music all of my life.

Fafner

Quote from: Que on March 05, 2013, 09:00:47 AM
How do you think it compares with Ančerl? :)

Q

They are both great, majestic recordings, and the interpretation is quite similar, the tempi are essentially the same - Talich and Ančerl obviously come from the same traditional school of Czech conductors.
Ančerl greatly benefits from a much superior stereo sound, Talich sounds rather flat in comparison. It is the same case as Solti's Ring -  the possibilities of the stereo sound are much cherished and used to the maximum advantage for spacial separation of the instruments. The result is one very exciting Má Vlast.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Lisztianwagner

Now:

Igor Stravinsky
Symphony in C

Herbert von Karajan
Berliner Philharmoniker
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Fafner

Bedřich Smetana - Czech Song
Josef Suk - Fairy Tale
Vítězslav Novák - Slovácko Suite

Czech PO & Choir
Václav Talich

"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

huntsman

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 05, 2013, 09:46:48 AM
I'm certainly glad you've decided to give Delius a chance, but it seems like his music touched your ear almost immediately which is always a good sign that you will probably be returning to the music the more in-depth you get with the composer. He is my absolute favorite composer and though it may seem that I'm biased towards his music, please bear in mind, that there are still several works by Delius that I simply haven't cracked yet, but those are few and far between. Yes, please keep reading the Delius thread.

Good to hear you're into this music and have been for quite some time. I've only be seriously listening for four years, but I've known about and have heard classical music all of my life.

Oh, I'm still very green and can scarcely tell my flute from my oboe, but the wonders of the internet means that knowledge that would have taken years and a small fortune to accumulate, can now be snapped up in a few months. Thanks to forums like this one!

I really enjoyed the Barbirolli, and I'm very positive about future works, including the Hiawatha. If they're all as good as this, I will have many hours of enjoyment.
RAP - Add a C to improve it...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 04, 2013, 07:52:41 PM
Well, I think that plenty of us have invested in this Glazunov Symphony set w/ Serebrier - I had purchased one of the first releases a while back and waited until the entire set was available - SO, just to ADD another 'thumbs up' - if you like this composer, then this would be a worthwhile purchase - Dave :)  P.S. review HERE, if interested. :)
I knew I was missing at least one other, so glad you saw this!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

First-listen Tuesday
Dvorak
Symphony no. 3 in Eb major, Op. 10 (B 34)
Neumann & CzPO

[asin]B0077DDWEE[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

listener

DVORAK   Slavonic Dances  opp. 46 & 72 
Alfred Brendel and Walter Klien  piano 4-hands
TCHAIKOWSKY  Symphony 5
+ RACHMANINOFF Vocalise, RIMSKY-KORSAKOFF 'Battle' from the Legend..of Kershnez
Boston Symphony Orch.    Serge Koussevitzky, cond.
very clear sound for a 1944 recording, some details I hadn't previously noticed.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

North Star

First-listen Tuesday
Dvorak
Symphony no. 4 in D minor, Op. 13 (B 41)
Neumann & CzPO

Quite Wagnerian these early symphonies, certainly not bad pieces!
[asin]B0077DDWEE[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Fafner

Martinů - Idyll
Janáček - Orchestral Introduction from Cunning Little Vixen
Dvořák - In Nature's Realm
Fibich - Poem

Czech PO, Václav Neumann

--- Anna Russell

Mirror Image

Quote from: huntsman on March 05, 2013, 12:03:21 PM
Oh, I'm still very green and can scarcely tell my flute from my oboe, but the wonders of the internet means that knowledge that would have taken years and a small fortune to accumulate, can now be snapped up in a few months. Thanks to forums like this one!

I really enjoyed the Barbirolli, and I'm very positive about future works, including the Hiawatha. If they're all as good as this, I will have many hours of enjoyment.

Excellent, huntsman. I hope you enjoy the music.

Daverz

Schuman 6

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B00005ABP0[/asin]

Listening to Seven Danish Songs. Absolutely gorgeous music.

Brahmsian

Continuing the Russian Symphony March Madness festivities!  8)

Prokofiev

Symphony No. 5 in B flat major, Op. 100
Symphony No. 7 in C sharp minor, Op. 131
Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Op. 44
Symphony No. 4 in C major, Op. 47 (original version)

Neeme Jarvi
Scottish National Orchestra
Chandos

[asin]B001HY4TLE[/asin]