What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to the Viola Concerto. Definitely a top-notch performance. I'll have to compare both Bashmet performances more closely. I think the orchestral texture on this RCA is slightly more recessed than the one on Regis, but this doesn't necessarily hinder any enjoyment from performance.

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to My Past And Thoughts Suite. Very nice music. Such ingenious orchestration used throughout the work.

pencils

Quote from: kyjo on August 12, 2013, 02:07:44 PM
Norgard is a fascinating composer. I'm still trying to get my head around his kaleidoscopic, texturally complex music. It's easy to get lost in all the swirling colors of his music, but hey, even if you do get lost, you can just sit there are and admire the cosmic atmospheres Norgard so expertly creates. :)

Love the stuff. Listened to 7 Norgard symphonies back to back today. Big win for the gods of music.

Sadko

Rachmaninov

Études-Tableaux opp. 33 + 39

Vladimir Ovchinnikov

[asin]B009FCX7EK[/asin]

Willow Pattern

Dvorak: String Quartet No. 2 In Bb Major, B 17

This mornings listening: Dvorak, String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2. Nielsen, Violin Concerto and Symphony No. 5 :)

Bogey

Simon Standage is a nice lead here....no Hogwood [sits back and takes a sip of coffee], but a nice lead.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

TheGSMoeller

For the evening, Britten choral music by The Sixteen, and Forqueray by Borgstede.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

listener

about to start on these for the evening
R. STRAUSS: Metamorphosen for 23 solo strings   HINDEMITH: Symphonic Metamorphoses on themes of Weber
Staatskapelle Dresden     Othmar Suitner, cond.
CRESTON:  Symphonies 2 & 3
National Symphony Orch., Washington D.C.     Howard Mitchell, cond.
ROCHBERG: Trio for Violin, cello and  piano   IMBRIE: Dandelion Wine for 7eptet
Donald WAXMAN: Trio for Oboe, Clarinet and Bassoon
Kees Kooper, violin, Fred Sherry, cello   Bert Lucarelli, oboe  Arthur Bloom, clarinet
Donald MacCourt, bassoon,  Mary Louise Boehm, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

Now:

Superb performance.

Next:

Already listened to Violin Concertos 1 & 2 from this set. Next I'll be listening to 3 & 4. This is a great set so far.

Brian

Wasn't there a thread called something like, Recordings Nobody on GMG Ever Talks About That You Really Think We Should All Hear? Or some such? Because here's a nomination for that topic:

[asin]B00008UEFL[/asin]

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on August 12, 2013, 06:40:27 PM
Wasn't there a thread called something like, Recordings Nobody on GMG Ever Talks About That You Really Think We Should All Hear? Or some such? Because here's a nomination for that topic:

[asin]B00008UEFL[/asin]

Wow, definitely an obscurity, Brian, but a disc I love as well:

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on April 06, 2013, 05:05:30 PM
Tchaikovsky's violin concerto, Pavel Šporcl violin, Bělohlávek w/ the Czech Philharmonic. Wonderful dexterity from Šporcl whose big, full tone is right up my alley.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sadko on August 12, 2013, 03:48:37 PM
Rachmaninov

Études-Tableaux opp. 33 + 39

Vladimir Ovchinnikov

[asin]B009FCX7EK[/asin]

Speaking of discs that belong on Brian's "Why Isn't This CD Better Known" thread, this Ovchinnikov is a shoe-in.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Piano quintet, Leonskaja/Borodin quartet.

Mirror Image

Some late night listening:

Listening to Paroles tissées. So many beautiful textures in this work and superbly performed.

Que

.[asin]B001AZU0CW[/asin]

Disc II.

Q

Drasko

Antoine Busnois - Missa L'homme arme

Probably the earliest of the masses based on eponymous chanson, and for me still the best. Superb performance as well. Some might not like the ensemble's attempt at pronouncing Latin closest possible to medieval French manner.

Sergeant Rock

Listening to the CD of an LP I had when I was a teen; listened to it several times per week for several years. Not heard recently though. Terribly unfashionable music: Ferdinand Herold, Zampa Overture and Ambroise Thomas, Mignon Overture and Raymond Overture.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Good day, Sarge!

First-listen Tuesday
Elliott Carter
String Quartet no. 1

http://www.youtube.com/v/Apc-Fw0r2tI