What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

A great collection of some of Elgar's smaller scale pieces. But believe me, these works are large in quality and emotion. Elgar can conjure the dramatic in such a short span of time, and this disc proves it.

[asin]B001M5AT80[/asin]

Mirror Image

Now:

A newer acquisition. Listening to Symphony No. 9. Sounds very promising so far, especially learning about the circumstances of this work.

kyjo

Quote from: kyjo on August 13, 2013, 07:18:28 PM
Thread duty:

Isang Yun: Symphony no. 2: http://youtu.be/vOk5vvbKGtI

I'll report back with thoughts on this piece.

Man, this is incredible stuff! I'm ashamed of myself for ignoring Yun's music for so long! Symphony no. 2 did not strike me as being "excessively dissonant" or "noisy". Maybe it's one of Yun's more accessible works? John, is this true? Anyways, I was reminded a little of Havergal Brian's stream-of-consciousness style of composing, surprisingly enough! I particularly liked the slow movement. So mysterious! Yun really loves his timpani and his trills!

Needless to say, I feel a Yun binge coming on! ;) In addition to the CPO set of his symphonies, there's an extensive series on the Camerata label called The Art of Isang Yun. Oh, my aching wallet! :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 13, 2013, 07:56:28 PM
Man, this is incredible stuff! I'm ashamed of myself for ignoring Yun's music for so long! Symphony no. 2 did not strike me as being "excessively dissonant" or "noisy". Maybe it's one of Yun's more accessible works? John, is this true? Anyways, I was reminded a little of Havergal Brian's stream-of-consciousness style of composing, surprisingly enough! I particularly liked the slow movement. So mysterious! Yun really loves his timpani and his trills!

Needless to say, I feel a Yun binge coming on! ;) In addition to the CPO set of his symphonies, there's an extensive series on the Camerata label called The Art of Isang Yun. Oh, my aching wallet! :D

Well, it's a matter of what your ears perceive and I'll leave it at that. I'm glad you enjoyed what you heard, though, but you'll have to listen to more of his music for yourself, Kyle. I own those Camerata recordings as well and they are wonderful. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 13, 2013, 07:50:57 PM
Now:

This really is a wonderful work. Nothing boring about it at all as one reviewer on Amazon said. ::) I often wonder where Schnittke would have gone from here? So many possibilities.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 13, 2013, 08:15:47 PM
Well, it's a matter of what your ears perceive and I'll leave it at that. I'm glad you enjoyed what you heard, though, but you'll have to listen to more of his music for yourself, Kyle. I own those Camerata recordings as well and they are wonderful. :)

Thanks for your words of wisdom. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 13, 2013, 08:19:53 PM
Thanks for your words of wisdom. :)

I wish I was a wise person so I can put a stop to this CDCDCD! It's killing me or at least my bank account! Aghhhh!!! :laugh:

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 13, 2013, 08:22:18 PM
I wish I was a wise person so I can put a stop to this CDCDCD! It's killing me or at least my bank account! Aghhhh!!! :laugh:

Lol.....the struggle! ;D

Pat B

Dvorak 6 (Jarvi)
[asin]B000000AFT[/asin]

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Four Hymns for bassoon, cello, double bass, harp, harpsichord, timpani, and tubular bells. Really a mediative work and quite beautiful.

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Que

Early Italian harpsichord music from the Venetian School:

Fabio Bonizzoni doing a superb job.

Q

Sean

Isang Yun's Piano trio this morning, shaking my head at myself.

Returning to the Flotow opera Alessandro Stradella this afternoon to clear the air.

North Star

From the mailbox

Vagn Holmboe
Chamber Symphonies
StorgÄrds & Lapland Chamber Orchestra

[asin]B0081UG17M[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Mozart Serenade #4 D major K.203, 6 Minuets K.164 and 6 Landlerlishe K.606

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

listener

LANGAARD:  Symphonies 5 "Steppenatur", 7 "By Tordenskjold in Holmen's Church" and 9 "From the Town of Queen Dagmar"
Arthur Rubinstein Philharmonic Orchestra    Ilya Stupel, cond.
Roy HARRIS:  Violin Concerto, Symphonies 1 (1933) and 5
Louisville Orchestra   Gregory Fulkerson, violin
Mester. Leighton-Smith, Whitney conducting.
more violin concs.  PROKOFIEV  no. 1 and GLAZUNOV
and SHCHEDRIN: Stihira
Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin   National Symphony Orch..,    Rostropovich cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

springrite

So much for "words of wisdom"...

Now:
Beethoven Op18 #6 (Amadeus Quartet, Talich, and Smetana)

Doing comparative listening so I can pick one to play at a lecture for CEO's about board meetings and communication.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

The new erato

To quote Procol Harum:

I know if I'd been wiser this would never have occurred
But I wallowed in my blindness so it's plain that I deserve
For the sin of self-indulgence when the truth was writ quite clear
I must spend my life amongst the dead who spend their lives in fear
Of a death that they're not sure of, of a life they can't control
It's all so simple really if you just look to your soul

(from Look to your soul)

Yes, those guys knew CDCDCD.

Sergeant Rock

Mozart Fantasia for a cylinder organ K.608, transcribed for string orchestra. This is fascinating: Mozart channeling Bach  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"