What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 14, 2013, 07:41:17 PM
Yes, Enescu wrote some great chamber music as well. The Octet for strings, Dectet for winds, and violin and cello sonatas are all great works. The piano quartets, quintets and string quartets give me a bit more trouble due to their comparative complexity and inwardness. Don't let me keep you from investigating them, though!

I agree with your preference for Rozhdestvensky over Mandeal. Lawrence Foster's recordings of the symphonies have been reissued on EMI. I wonder how they are?

As I've often stated, I'm not much for opera, but I've been eyeing up Enescu's much-praised and only work in the forum, Oedipe:

I'll definitely check out Enescu's chamber works at some juncture. I do not know the Foster performances unfortunately. Perhaps someone here could oblige you? I've been investigating this set for quite some time.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: sanantonio on August 14, 2013, 02:22:58 AM
A beautiful recording.

It certainly is. Goerne's is a voice in a million.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: karlhenning on August 14, 2013, 04:41:55 AM
Well, damned if that isn't a trio of Weilersteins:)

Who'd-a-thunk? :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Bukoolika. I just love the folkiness of this work as it reminds of me of lighter works of Bartok and Kodaly, but there's something else deep beyond the surface that I can't quite put my finger on what it sounds like to me. Maybe some Tubin thrown in for good measure?

Mirror Image

These damn Estonians are just amazing! I wish more of Magi's music was recorded. :(

Mirror Image

Time for another obscure composer:

Listening to An Coitin Dearg. A work that puts a smile on my face for sure. :) Particularly love the Reel movement. It gets my feet tapping along.

Parsifal

Listened to Brian Symphony No 10 after reading here that it was just the thing after a plane crash.

[asin]B004SGYI32[/asin]

Quite good, even without the plane crash.

Que

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on August 14, 2013, 02:43:40 AM

Antoine Busnois - Missa L'homme arme

I just listened to that too. I have to say that I couldn't stop myself thinjing that this is some of the most interesting music I've ever heard. It was in the credo that I started to think that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

North Star

Nielsen
Symphonies Nos. 2 & 3
Michael Schønwandt & Danish NSO

[asin]B005FF2U2Q[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

springrite

Quote from: Scarpia on August 14, 2013, 10:32:53 PM
Listened to Brian Symphony No 10 after reading here that it was just the thing after a plane crash.

[asin]B004SGYI32[/asin]

Quite good, even without the plane crash.

I could do without that crash as well. It is a wonderful work not needing the extra boost of circumstances to enhance it.

Now:
Beethoven Op18 #6 (Talich)
Beethoven Grosso Fuge (Talich, Amadeus)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Sergeant Rock

Mozart Serenade #13 G Major K.525 "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" and Serenade D major #6 K.239

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cjvinthechair

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2013, 08:19:50 PM
Now:

Listening to Bukoolika. I just love the folkiness of this work as it reminds of me of lighter works of Bartok and Kodaly, but there's something else deep beyond the surface that I can't quite put my finger on what it sounds like to me. Maybe some Tubin thrown in for good measure?
Just bought this (2nd hand !), & put it on when I saw your post. Beautiful, soulful music in Vesper...feels almost as if there's some English chords in there somewhere;echoes of VW/Elgar - but I'm no expert !
Clive.

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on August 15, 2013, 01:29:32 AM
I just listened to that too. I have to say that I couldn't stop myself thinjing that this is some of the most interesting music I've ever heard. It was in the credo that I started to think that.

There is a great moment toward the end of Credo when all of a sudden everything gets very frantic. The moment where I went 'wow!' is in Gloria, that amazing upward bass surge on deprecationem nostram. It was totally the moment of ecstatic truth for me (to quote Werner Herzog). The whole piece is extraordinary, the expressiveness of it, almost flamboyance when compared to lets say Dufay, who is stylistically the closest, is what completely took me back in the beginning. I've been listening to it a lot last couple of months.   

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony #43 E flat "Mercury"

Sarge

North Star

Afternoon, Sarge!

From the post office

Dutilleux
Symphony No. 2 'Le Double'
Métaboles
The Shadows of Time
Tout un Monde Lointain... *
Queyras (cello *), Graf & Orchestre National Bordeaux Aquitaine

[asin]B001S3QTBC[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Haydn - Piano Sonatas Volume 1
Alain Planès, piano

[asin]B001ONSWDE[/asin]
CD1: Piano Sonatas Nos. 11, 31, 38, 55

Haydn very well played on a modern piano, with that sort of objectivity usual in Planès.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Lisztianwagner

Johannes Brahms
Symphony No.1

[asin]B001DCQI8C[/asin]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Joining the Antoine Busnois party: Missa "L'homme armé"

Sarge

Mirror Image

Quote from: cjvinthechair on August 15, 2013, 03:00:09 AM
Just bought this (2nd hand !), & put it on when I saw your post. Beautiful, soulful music in Vesper...feels almost as if there's some English chords in there somewhere;echoes of VW/Elgar - but I'm no expert !

I agree, Clive. I was telling Kyle (Kyjo) that Vesper would be a great opener at a concert.