Tallis
Disc 4, Music for the Divine Office I

[asin]B0012OVFIE[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Good morning, Karl!

Prokofiev
L'enfant prodigue, Op. 46
Jurowski & WDR Köln

[asin]B0000DB4YG[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

G'day, Karlo! That ballet is a keeper, isn't it?  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on August 15, 2013, 06:11:39 AM
G'day, Karlo! That ballet is a keeper, isn't it?  :)
I am inclined to think so, of both of the works on that disc.
Oh, and of Das Marienleben (1948 version) by Isokoski & Viitasalo, too.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Divertimenti a otto voci in G major Hob.X:12 and A minor Hob.X:3 (baryton octets) played by the Ricercar Consort

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on August 15, 2013, 06:19:26 AM
I am inclined to think so, of both of the works on that disc.
Oh, and of Das Marienleben (1948 version) by Isokoski & Viitasalo, too.

Agreed . . . I like the revised version very well, still haven't done a comparison with the original.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 14, 2013, 06:20:58 PM
A great joy of being a lover of John Dowland's music is the various arrangements of his songs and Lachrimae available on disc. One that I had early reservations with but has recently become a top choice is the album In Darkness by The Dowland Project, with tenor John Potter along with Stephen Stubbs, John Surman, Maya Hombur. The instrumentation features Potter's voice with violin, double bass, lute, saxophone and bass clarinet. This combination paints a dark and mysterious landscape for Dowland's songs of melancholy. But also allowing the brighter and lyrical moments to shine, such as in Now, O Now I Needs Must Part. There are many traditional sounding moments, such as the lute/voice duo that open Come Again, but only to be answered by a semi-jazzy saxophone/double bass riff. Same structure can be heard in The Lowest Trees Have Tops, but this time it's the violin and bass clarinet that share time. Similar to many of the Dowland recordings I own, this one is about exploring the inner voice of the composer's language, and I (now) find it to be highly successful.

[asin]B00002DEH6[/asin]

I gave this a listen because of what you said, I'd never heard any of The Dowland Project before. I very much like this sort of creative modification. I kind of wish they'd have been bolder in fact - my favourite example of the genre is Hans Zender's reworking of the Schumann Fantasie. What impressed me most about this CD was the sincerity of the singing actually, I love the way he sounds so internal, like it's so unprojected, unoperatic. I can't imagine how that would work live, he must use a mike.

That way of adding passages of lively instrumental music in songs like Come Again that you mentioned is really cool, just fun easy going music making. I thought Go Crystal Tears was really dark and juicy.

Anyway, you collect Dowland. That's great, 'cause I'd like to hear more Dowland. So far my knowledge is fairly limited to old song compilations (Deller, Pears, and Cuénod, Songs from the Lanyrinth) and things like Savall's Lachrimae CD. A list of top Dowland recordings would be appreciated by me, at least.

I'd especially like to know if there are more transcriptions  of the lachrimae for little ensembles, I liked what The Dowland Project did there a lot.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sergeant Rock

Mozart Symphony #40 G minor, Szell conducting the Cleveland in Tokyo, May 1970

Sarge

Karl Henning

JSB
Suites for violoncello solo
Jean-Guihen Queyras

[asin]B000T2OMX0[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

listener

brass to wake up with:
Percy FLETCHER: An Epic Symphony   Percy WILBY: Unholy Sonnets, Jazz   John McCABE: Salamander
Howard SNELL: Fantasy for Cornet and Brass Band   Thomas WILSON: Refrains and Cadenzas
Grimethorpe Colliery Band    Major Peter Parkes, cond.
DEBUSSY: Nuages, Fêtes      RAVEL:  Bolero*, Ma Mere l'Oye  Suite
*Dallas S.O. / Mata,  Boston S.O./Munch
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mandryka on August 15, 2013, 06:56:10 AM
I gave this a listen because of what you said, I'd never heard any of The Dowland Project before. I very much like this sort of creative modification. I kind of wish they'd have been bolder in fact - my favourite example of the genre is Hans Zender's reworking of the Schumann Fantasie. What impressed me most about this CD was the sincerity of the singing actually, I love the way he sounds so internal, like it's so unprojected, unoperatic. I can't imagine how that would work live, he must use a mike.

That way of adding passages of lively instrumental music in songs like Come Again that you mentioned is really cool, just fun easy going music making. I thought Go Crystal Tears was really dark and juicy.

Anyway, you collect Dowland. That's great, 'cause I'd like to hear more Dowland. So far my knowledge is fairly limited to old song compilations (Deller, Pears, and Cuénod, Songs from the Lanyrinth) and things like Savall's Lachrimae CD. A list of top Dowland recordings would be appreciated by me, at least.

I'd especially like to know if there are more transcriptions  of the lachrimae for little ensembles, I liked what The Dowland Project did there a lot.

Howdy, Mandryka.

How great is the Lachrimae Amantis with Potter's wordless voice beautifully blending in with the other instruments?

I have a good collection of Dowland, would love to discuss and share. I actually searched for a main Dowland page but was unsuccessful. If there's not one maybe we can start it, perhaps Dowland's Drafthouse?  8)

pi2000

First Cd with Quartetto Italiano
[asin] B005FB82WC[/asin]
:-*

springrite

Berg Violin Concerto (Chung, Solti)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Lisztianwagner

On BBC Radio3, from the BBC Proms:

Igor Stravinsky
Fireworks
Krzysztof Penderecki
Concerto grosso
Claude Debussy
La mer
Maurice Ravel
Daphnis et Chloe – Suite No. 2

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Dvorak String Quartet #12 F major "American" played by the Pavel Haas Quartet

Sarge

bhodges

Nino Rota: Music for Film (Muti / La Scala) - An enduring favorite, especially the suite from Rocco and His Brothers and the dances from The Leopard - all very much in Muti's realm, and gorgeously played by the La Scala ensemble.

[asin]B0000029ZF[/asin]

--Bruce

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on August 15, 2013, 07:30:54 AM
JSB
Suites for violoncello solo
Jean-Guihen Queyras

[asin]B000T2OMX0[/asin]
One of my favorite cds in my collection. I hear it anew every time.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Queyras has a new CD next month. Elgar Concerto, Tchaikovsky Rococo, Dvorak 'Silent Woods' and rondo.

North Star

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 15, 2013, 12:22:01 PM
One of my favorite cds in my collection. I hear it anew every time.
+1
Quote from: Brian on August 15, 2013, 12:24:45 PM
Queyras has a new CD next month. Elgar Concerto, Tchaikovsky Rococo, Dvorak 'Silent Woods' and rondo.
That ought to be wonderful. I need to get his Dvorak Concerto disc at some point, too.

My photographs on Flickr