What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HIPster

On a first time listen to this new mp arrival:
[asin]B000VIFMI6[/asin]

Further thoughts in the Dufay thread, started by Mandryka. . .
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Lisztianwagner

Pyotr Il'ych Tchaikovsky
Piano Concerto No.1

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Brian

The new erato

Quote from: sanantonio on October 10, 2013, 09:21:39 AM
Rochberg ~ Symphony No. 1

I like his music before he "changed".

;)
So do I. That is one of the great American symphonies.

stingo

Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues, Set 5
Keith Jarrett, piano

Handel Suite from The Alchemist
The Academy of Ancient Music
Christopher Hogwood

Both from SiriusXM Symphony Hall

Daverz

Vine, Symphony No. 2.   Great stuff, like a restless John Adams, with a touch of Birtwistle?  Probably not a very helpful description.  No. 1 was so short that I was listening to 2 by the time I started to pay attention.

[asin]B000BZDG1E[/asin]

Unfortunately, I seem to have got the last of the cheap copies.

TheGSMoeller

Verdi Requiem - Muti/CSO
Live stream, just started...

cso.org

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on October 10, 2013, 03:53:51 PM
Vine, Symphony No. 2.   Great stuff, like a restless John Adams, with a touch of Birtwistle?  Probably not a very helpful description.  No. 1 was so short that I was listening to 2 by the time I started to pay attention.

[asin]B000BZDG1E[/asin]

It's quite difficult to describe Vine's style in words, for he has such a unique voice. I can see where you're coming from with the Adams comparison, though. I even hear a little Tippett influence from time to time. I actually haven't heard any of Birtwistle's music, so I can't draw any conclusions there.

mn dave

Todd

Quote from: Batty on October 10, 2013, 04:46:05 PM
.[asin]B000026D3O[/asin]

So, so good.

Thread duty:

This cements it for me, Eric Heidsieck is the greatest living pianist.  (Granted, the recording is not new.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

amw

Friday 11/10/13

Shostakovich/Barshai - Chamber Symphony, Op. 73a (I Musici di Montréal)

The String Quartet Op. 73 is probably one of my favourite Shostakovich works, and I'm fascinated by arrangement and transcription, so I was quite pleased to learn of the existence of this piece. For intensity, passion and intimacy, I prefer the original somewhat, but there's quite a lot of detail that's brought to the fore in this version, which expands the timbral palette to include winds and harp; it makes an intriguing companion to the quartet. The recording seems a little distant at times and isn't always technically perfect but it's a fairly good reading of the piece as far as that goes. (It's also hard to compete with the Borodin Quartet I guess :P)

Daverz

Quote from: kyjo on October 10, 2013, 04:45:22 PM
It's quite difficult to describe Vine's style in words, for he has such a unique voice. I can see where you're coming from with the Adams comparison, though. I even hear a little Tippett influence from time to time. I actually haven't heard any of Birtwistle's music, so I can't draw any conclusions there.

Yes, didn't think of him, but Tippett is a good reference, e.g. his Symphony No. 2.

mn dave

Quote from: Todd on October 10, 2013, 05:00:12 PM
So, so good.

Indeed!

Now...
[asin]B00B2CH26U[/asin]
[asin]B00DNVWS44[/asin]

Both Spotify.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 10, 2013, 04:34:10 PM
Verdi Requiem - Muti/CSO
Live stream, just started...

cso.org

Amazing live performance. My first full listen to Verdi's Requiem in over a decade.

Now back to life. Haydn No. 64 (Tempora mutantur) by Fischer/AHHO.

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 4. For me, one of the unheralded masterpieces of the 20th Century. It doesn't get much better than this! The whole Braga Santos series on Marco Polo/Naxos is so extraordinary. Cassuto deserves all the credit in the world for recording this music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on October 10, 2013, 03:53:51 PM

[asin]B000BZDG1E[/asin]

I need to revisit these symphonies myself, Daverz. Glad you're enjoying them. I bought this set a few years ago and have added more Vine recordings to my collection since then.

Daverz

Working thru composers in alphabetical order starting with Tippett, because why not?

[asin]B000068QS5[/asin]

Tippett: Symphony No. 2 (Colin Davis/LSO).

Tischenko: Violin Concerto

[asin]B000FGGKLM[/asin]

Titz: String Quartet in A minor

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2013, 06:31:21 PM
Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 4. For me, one of the unheralded masterpieces of the 20th Century. It doesn't get much better than this! The whole Braga Santos series on Marco Polo/Naxos is so extraordinary. Cassuto deserves all the credit in the world for recording this music.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say about one of my very favorite pieces of music ever composed. Had it not been for Cassuto, this music of such incredible power and beauty would have never seen the light of day. :)