What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on February 07, 2014, 04:54:45 PM
Of course, I do intend to pick this up one day, the mother of all bargains (barring megaboxes)

[asin]B004QRUJJ0[/asin]

I have that 3-CD set, but in its Cantus incarnation:

http://www.cantus-records.com/portfolio/c-98046-je-guillaumes/

Messe de Nostre Dame
Le vray remède d'amour
Le jugement du Roi de Navarre

They are 3 jewel cases into a sleeve, every one including a superbly informative booklet (66, 98 and 106 pages in English, German, French and Spanish).

This afternoon I listened to Le jugement du Roi de Navarre, too. Another great recording, if you don't have problem with spoken texts à la Savall.   :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

milk

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Adam's Lament. I haven't really even listened to this recording properly yet, so I figured I would listen a little at a time. Gorgeous so far.

amw

I ended up picking Stravinsky - Threni. Solemn, ambiguous and—as usual with Stravinsky—beautifully and inventively scored.

listener

LISZT:  Liebesträume and other songs for piano
Leslie Howard, piano   disc 19 in the "complete" set
won't wake the neighbours
KARG-ELERT: 12 Charakteristische Tonstücke  op. 86   3 Pastelle op.94
Wolfgang Stockmeier, organ   Breil-Organ, St. Martin, Bad Lippspringe
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

mrgreg

Emma Bell – Handel Operatic Arias (2005)

otare

After having started the day with 2 CDs from the Reiner-box (Brahms violin concerto (Heifetz) and Tchaikovsky's 1. piano concerto (Gilels)) I went for more unfamiliar fare:

The a-minor concerto starts out very promising. Sounds a bit like Brahms - Röntgen was not among the most forward-looking - but extremely beautiful.
I have a "thing" for relatively unknown composers. So far some of my favorites are: Hummel (not so unknown perhaps), Röntgen, Ries, Raff, Bloch, Wolf-Ferrari. What I have heard of Salieri has also been to my liking.

Que

Quote from: Gordo on February 07, 2014, 06:10:18 PM
I have that 3-CD set, but in its Cantus incarnation:

http://www.cantus-records.com/portfolio/c-98046-je-guillaumes/

Messe de Nostre Dame
Le vray remède d'amour
Le jugement du Roi de Navarre

They are 3 jewel cases into a sleeve, every one including a superbly informative booklet (66, 98 and 106 pages in English, German, French and Spanish).

This afternoon I listened to Le jugement du Roi de Navarre, too. Another great recording, if you don't have problem with spoken texts à la Savall.   :)

That is the one I got, totally worth it! :) And for anyone starting afresh, this larger set might be a good option a well: http://www.cantus-records.com/portfolio/c-99017-cours-cathedrales/

This morning another non-solo disc from Naïve's "Complete" Hantaï set, but a nice one:

[asin]B00EO7XQ2E[/asin]

Q

wintersway

"Time is a great teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students". -Berlioz

Willow Pattern

I thought Id dedicate this weekend to Elizabethan music - I think this era has some really beautiful music.
Today it was some William Byrd and tomorrow maybe more or selections from the John Dowland box.
The pictures below represent just about my entire Elizabethan collection (theres not much so I will post them all:

Im always looking for recommendations so if anyone knows a recording(s) from this era they think I might like I am all ears :)
Edit: all the stuff I posted may not be strictly Elizabethan but I hope it will give other members an idea of the type of music I mean

wintersway

Que

Amazing how much recorder music is in this set... :o 
So fa all very nice discs BTW, but flautist Sébastien Marq and the ensemble Le Concert Français definitely deserved to be mentioned on the cover....

[asin]B00EO7XQ2E[/asin]

Q

wintersway

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Harry's on February 07, 2014, 09:04:56 AM
I confess, that as Harry I bought almost the entire Sterling catalogue, but listened to it all as Chen Tao, but in my blog I was always truthful to my name. And by the way, you would not believe the amount of CPO discs, that is waiting to be listened too.  But your thought was clever. 8)
The price for some Sterling discs at jpc is as low as I have ever seen Sterling discs, and I wish now I had waited on more of them, but then you never know.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Harry

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 08, 2014, 03:15:14 AM
The price for some Sterling discs at jpc is as low as I have ever seen Sterling discs, and I wish now I had waited on more of them, but then you never know.

True, but JPC is erratic in their pricing, for I put quite a few in my to order list for 6 euro's. Since there was no end date to this offer, I presumed that I could leave them there until I would put in the order at the end of the month. To my surprise, and this was not the first time, they changed the price within a day to 18 euro's. Their explanation was, we can and we do. That was it. The Violin concerto by Joachim Raff was amongst them, for me that disc was essential....
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

.[asin]B009J2VR6Q[/asin]

Quite a find, a 1994 recording that I have not seen before.

Q

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mandryka

BWV 892, B major from WTC 2. Kathy Roberts. Very nice when the opening theme of the prelude returns towards the end, she has built up the suspense beforehand. The fugue is by turns serene, joyful and even ecstatic, but always noble. I think this is an absolutely wonderful bit of music making.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Pat B on February 06, 2014, 11:50:53 AM
Like Que, I'm hoping for a reissue. Unlike Que, I don't have a digital copy yet. I would appreciate this greatly.

I've just put Badura Skoda's Astrée Beethoven set on symphonyshare.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya