What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Hovhaness Symphony 4

My dark side is considerably brighter than John's  :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2014, 10:37:01 AM
Hard to know exactly as it changes periodically. I sold all my vinyl when I moved 10+ years ago. I had maybe 3-4000 of those. (The 500 or so cassettes went even earlier.)  I have 4000 to 4500 cds now. I have sold a bunch in recent years and expect to sell more. Actually after I play one these days I consider moving ot to the for sale bin if it's one I rarely listen to or don't much care for.
But since my recent move any semblance or order has gone out the window. So it's easier to buy a new one than find the old one. Plus I may have sold it :)

I need to cull my collection, but I've been saying this for a couple of years now, so we'll see if anything changes. ;) :D BTW, what do you think about Schnittke? Do you own any recordings of his music? I have a special plastic box set aside for my just my Schnittke collection. That's how special his music is for me.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 03, 2014, 10:50:31 AM
I need to cull my collection, but I've been saying this for a couple of years now, so we'll see if anything changes. ;) :D BTW, what do you think about Schnittke? Do you own any recordings of his music? I have special plastic box set aside for my just my Schnittke collection. That's how special his music is for me.
I have his symphonies, piano quintet, violin concerto and a couple smaller things.
I have yet to hear a symphony of his I liked.  But I am not very far through the box yet.

Sergeant Rock

Ives Symphony No.1 D minor

[asin]B0000CDJKI[/asin]

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2014, 10:57:30 AM
I have his symphonies, piano quintet, violin concerto and a couple smaller things.
I have yet to hear a symphony of his I liked.  But I am not very far through the box yet.

For me, Schnittke took time to appreciate and the composer thread details my metamorphosis from a person who disliked his music into a person who ended up loving it. Time has proven to be a great healer when it came to his music. Which Violin Concerto do you own? He wrote four of them. I'm not a big fan of the VCs, but I like the 1st and 4th. His Cello Concertos, on the other hand, are his masterworks in the concertante genre IMHO.

Ken B

Hovhaness Symphony 63

[asin]B0018D899M [/asin]

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 03, 2014, 11:07:59 AM
For me, Schnittke took time to appreciate and the composer thread details my metamorphosis from a person who disliked his music into a person who ended up loving it. Time has proven to be a great healer when it came to his music. Which Violin Concerto do you own? He wrote four of them. I'm not a big fan of the VCs, but I like the 1st and 4th. His Cello Concertos, on the other hand, are his masterworks in the concertante genre IMHO.
Actually I guess its a concerto grosso, not a VC. It came with the Glass VC. You could sell Gruppen if it came with the right Glass.  ;) :laugh:

Brian

After experimenting with Hosokawa, whose music depicting lotus blossums moves about as quickly as a lotus blossuming, I'm on to this:

So far so fresh and delightful!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2014, 11:11:28 AM
Actually I guess its a concerto grosso, not a VC. It came with the Glass VC. You could sell Gruppen if it came with the right Glass.  ;) :laugh:

Ah yes Concerto Grosso No. 1 (he wrote six of them). I take it must be that Kremer disc, then? That's an excellent performance.

SonicMan46

Devienne, Francois (1759-1803) - Oboe Sonatas - same works but two different performances, the second w/ cello added - Dave :)

HIPster

An oldie, but goodie!
[asin]B000001G4Q[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: EigenUser on March 03, 2014, 09:14:56 AMDoesn't it sound like Bartok had this piece in mind when he wrote the 2nd movement of his 2nd piano concerto?

I've never noticed that. I'll spin Bartok later to try to hear what you're hearing.

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 03, 2014, 11:32:49 AM
I've never noticed that. I'll spin Bartok later to try to hear what you're hearing.

Sarge

Although, practically speaking, I should be greatly surprised if Bartók had any chance to hear it . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 03, 2014, 11:56:37 AM
Although, practically speaking, I should be greatly surprised if Bartók had any chance to hear it . . . .

Yes, especially considering how obscure Ives' music was during Bartok's arrival to the US.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on March 03, 2014, 11:56:37 AM

Yeah, not likely. But I didn't take that to be EigenUser's meaning. Rather that the pieces sound similar. Listening to the Second now played by Bishop Kovacevich (as he called himself then):

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 03, 2014, 12:02:26 PM
Yeah, not likely. But I didn't take that to be EigenUser's meaning. Rather that the pieces sound similar.

Indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to the Sextet. Excellent work and performance.

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

listener

"Happy Organ Music"  by HANDEL, LEFÉBURE-WELY, LINCKE, BERLIOZ, WENCK, DUPONT...
on the 3-manual Hradetzky organ at the parish church at Krems
Franz Haselböck,
and a 2-disc set of Nino ROTA piano music 
Danielle Laval, piano   Orchestra Città di Ferrera
Giuseppe Grazioli, cond.
Variations and Waltzes on BACH, Concerto soirée.., Fantasia on a 12-note theme from "Don Giovanni" etc.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Piccolo Concerto per Muriel Couvreux yet again (my fourth time so far). Such a fantastic work. Ken B. you've got to listen to this work.