What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Gordo on December 06, 2014, 02:06:42 PM
To fight against the melancholy after loosing this afternoon the title of the professional Chilean league of football:

Clearly, here Jaap Schröder plays the right notes and beautifully, I should add.  :)

I didn't realise that the Mozart violin concertos were familiar territory for Bruggen. :)

His remake with Zehetmair is in any case miraculous. ... :o 8)

Q

Moonfish

Quote from: ritter on December 06, 2014, 02:24:27 PM
I really don't have that many versions to compare, but found the Buchbergers actually really good...I am tempted, though,  by the pioneering Schneider finally resissued on Music & Arts...

Cheers,

Rafael

Yes, I fell for the Schneider release. I am a bit impulsive at times.....  0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Now:

Graupner: Himmlische Stunden, selige Zeiten              Feuersinger/Capricornus Consort Basel/Barczi

I truly love this recording. Feuersinger's voice is heavenly - especially so as her voice enters in the first cantata 'Angst und Jammer". It is mesmerizing as the music soars and ripples with her voice. The sound in the recording is clarity itself. Wonderful music!!!!! Beauty incarnated!  0:)

[asin] B00H3O2B8A[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Wakefield

Quote from: Que on December 06, 2014, 02:24:41 PM
I didn't realise that the Mozart violin concertos were familiar territory for Bruggen. :)

His remake with Zehetmair is in any case miraculous. ... :o 8)

Q

Yes, those disks on Glossa are terrific, at least the part conducted by Brüggen.

Here just two violin concertos are included (Nos. 1 & 2), but are superbly played, too.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

amw

BWV 1052R

This is ferociously, aggressively fast. Almost to the point of caricature. (But not quite.) One of the most dramatic Bach performances I've heard actually, with a sense of wildness and infinite power. I like it enormously, but suspect it's somewhat superficial.

Ken B

Part of that mystery Prok box I bought.
Doing the whole cycle twice.
[asin]B000000SEK[/asin]

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on December 06, 2014, 03:01:20 AM
Only just purchased,  but I had to break this one in soon:

Since I took a liking to the recorder, this had to be on the menu.
Who else than Frans Brüggen? :) Who did for the revival of the recorder what Leonhardt did for the harpsichord.

Thanks Que for the alert - I've loved the recorder since my college years and wife plays several among her many other instruments - Amazon MP had it for just over $30 (12 CDs!) - may already own a few of these recordings but will cull out the duplicates - looking forward to receiving the box - look him up and he just died in August of 2014 (age, 79 y/o) - Dave :)

jfdrex

Two recordings of the Sibelius Symphony No. 6, back to back.

First, Lorin Maazel and the VPO.

[asin]B0000041Z3[/asin]
Hadn't listened to that recording in about 30 years--and have to declare that I probably won't listen to it for at least another 30 years.  (Which means, probably never again! :o)  Found it so glib and superficial that I felt I had to cleanse myself by listening to another recording of the same work.  So I reached for Paavo Berglund's Bournemouth set:

[asin]B0091JQH2Q[/asin]

A world of difference.  Beautifully paced and detailed, and in superb Kingsway Hall sound to boot. :)  Expect I will return to this recording in less than 30 years.

Wakefield

Mozart: Sonatas for Piano & Violin
Gustav Leonhardt, fortepiano nton Walter, Vienna, ca. 1795-1805]
Sigiswald Kuijken, violin [Maggini School, Brescia, mid-17th century)

[asin]B0000029VV[/asin]

Amazing disk in crystal clear sound quality. Here Mr. Leonhardt is by far better than in his (a bit disappointing) solo Mozart recorded on SEON. Even I think these are some of the best renditions of these sonatas that I have ever listened to. Lovely sound of the instruments, specially the keyboard; playful spirit of the performers; tremendous interplay between them and so. Highly recommended.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

not edward

Dorati's Chronochromie.

[asin]B001EC6JO4[/asin]

This recording (along with Baudo's Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum) was responsible for me having a brief period of great enthusiasm for Messiaen's music many years ago. It didn't last, but hearing it again reminds me what I was so excited about.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Moonfish

Liszt:
Two Episodes from Lenau's Faust
Hunnenslacht

Suisse Romande Orchestra/Ansermet

[asin] B001APFIOC[/asin]

from
[asin] B00NO9LG4I[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Ken B

On the 1624 Ruckers
[asin]B0064DLG32[/asin]

Walcha's 1972 Archiv recording was done in part on this too.
First time for this set with my new amp and speakers. A distinct improvement. Next week I will bi-amp them, and spin it again. 

A very good WTC I think, if not quite top drawer. Cheap too.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Gordo on December 06, 2014, 05:14:20 PM
Mozart: Sonatas for Piano & Violin
Gustav Leonhardt, fortepiano nton Walter, Vienna, ca. 1795-1805]
Sigiswald Kuijken, violin [Maggini School, Brescia, mid-17th century)

[asin]B0000029VV[/asin]

Amazing disk in crystal clear sound quality. Here Mr. Leonhardt is by far better than in his (a bit disappointing) solo Mozart recorded on SEON. Even I think these are some of the best renditions of these sonatas that I have ever listened to. Lovely sound of the instruments, specially the keyboard; playful spirit of the performers; tremendous interplay between them and so. Highly recommended.  :)

Although the price of the big SEON box is reasonable, I am convinced it will go much lower, and so am trying to wait a few months before I get it.  You guys are making it very difficult to stick to my plan >:(
It's all good...

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Moonfish

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos 23, 17 & 14         Pires

from
[asin] B00JJONQKY[/asin]

French Baroque Lute Suites                Michael Schäffer
Pieces by du Fault, Gallot, Reusner and Conradi

Wonderful tranquility!

[asin] B00002654T[/asin]

from
[asin] B00KXJD58M[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on December 06, 2014, 08:00:59 PM
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos 23, 17 & 14         Pires

from
[asin] B00JJONQKY[/asin]

French Baroque Lute Suites                Michael Schäffer
Pieces by du Fault, Gallot, Reusner and Conradi

Wonderful tranquility!

[asin] B00002654T[/asin]

from
[asin] B00KXJD58M[/asin]

I guess when you don't got the latest Suzuki Bach, you got's to play something.

TD, Caroline Shaw, Partita for 8 Voices

Which I really like.  It's like Philip Glass and Virgil Thomson got together and rewrote Stimmung.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on December 06, 2014, 08:06:40 PM
I guess when you don't got the latest Suzuki Bach, you got's to play something.

Which I really like.  It's like Philip Glass and Virgil Thomson got together and rewrote Stimmung.

Ha ha! How do you know if I got Suzuki or not..?   >:D >:D
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 1. Great work and performance.

Pat B

Quote from: Ken B on December 06, 2014, 08:06:40 PM

I like that piece. Shaw must be smart.

Wanderer