What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on February 11, 2015, 10:29:41 PM
I like this sonata too. It was that sonata, in fact, which first prompted me to listen seriously to Scarlatti, and it's kind of made me feel happy that someone else has discovered it. I first got to know it through a CD by Albert Fuller, which is a bit sewing machiney, bit still rewarding in parts. Then later I found Scott Ross's recording, which is fabulous - a moment of real grace.

Now that thing you've been listening to, Zacharias. He takes 12 minutes to get to the end of it. It's too much for me, I lose attention. And I don't like the kitschy teardrop pianissimos and the unsuppleness compared with the harpsichordists. 
Yea Zacharias is real slow. I guess I need Ross.

Introducing myself to some Liszt via my signed copy of this, which I really should have opened a long time ago

Listened today from William Tell up to the end of the Dante Sonata. The rest tomorrow. Detailed comments eventually, but the music is surprisingly good. Better than I would have expected Liszt to be actually.

Mookalafalas

Decided to make a long-weekend project of listening my way through this box.  On disc 3 and already feeling its going to be a very pleasant and rewarding weekend ;D
[asin]B001KZNUYC[/asin]

Playing Lortie's Chopin Etudes right now.  He's definitely not the best, but he's no slouch.  Disc 2 was Lili Boulanger (?).  She apparently died right at the end of WWI.  At first I thought it was overwrought Orff style vocal excess and almost decided to skip over it, but I ended up liking it a lot--for a first listen anyway.  Delius coming up next. 
It's all good...

EigenUser

Olivier Messiaen's Trois Petites Liturgies de la Presence Divine, Bernstein conducting. I like this version (even though the violin solo and choir aren't quite together in the first movement). It is the only version I've heard where the ondes-Martinot player actually does the 'glissando trille' (tr. 'Trilled glissando') that Messiaen asks for in the score in the second climax of the third movement. All other recordings just do a regular glissando (as opposed to 'wavering' the pitch on the way down). It irritates me when performers leave out these kinds of things that are explicitly asked for by the composer. There aren't many OMs in the world, so take advantage of its full range of effects!
[asin]B00003WGO2[/asin]
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 13, 2015, 02:39:07 AM
Decided to make a long-weekend project of listening my way through this box.  On disc 3 and already feeling its going to be a very pleasant and rewarding weekend ;D
[asin]B001KZNUYC[/asin]

Playing Lortie's Chopin Etudes right now.  He's definitely not the best, but he's no slouch.  Disc 2 was Lili Boulanger (?).  She apparently died right at the end of WWI.  At first I thought it was overwrought Orff style vocal excess and almost decided to skip over it, but I ended up liking it a lot--for a first listen anyway.  Delius coming up next.

Great box. But for your next ... have some caffeine handy.

Que

HIPster

Cafe Zimmermann
J.S. Bach - Concertos
[asin]B005IQXUQW[/asin]
What a triumph this 6-disc set is!   :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: EigenUser on February 13, 2015, 04:52:07 AM
Olivier Messiaen's Trois Petites Liturgies de la Presence Divine, Bernstein conducting. I like this version (even though the violin solo and choir aren't quite together in the first movement). It is the only version I've heard where the ondes-Martinot player actually does the 'glissando trille' (tr. 'Trilled glissando') that Messiaen asks for in the score in the second climax of the third movement. All other recordings just do a regular glissando (as opposed to 'wavering' the pitch on the way down). It irritates me when performers leave out these kinds of things that are explicitly asked for by the composer. There aren't many OMs in the world, so take advantage of its full range of effects!
[asin]B00003WGO2[/asin]

You gave me an idea ...

First-Listen Fridays!

"Uncle Morty"
Out of Last Pieces
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays!

Schuller
Triplum
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays!

Denisov
Crescendo e decrescendo
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays!

Hindemith
Violin Concerto
Isaac Stern, vn
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Bach, CPE - Keyboard Works w/ Ana-Marija Markovina on a Bösendorfer Imperial piano on 26 discs (all 70+ minutes each) - just getting started today - will report back in a month!   :o :laugh: Dave

P.S. Same model piano used below but not likely the exact one - :)

Ken B

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 13, 2015, 08:34:29 AM
Bach, CPE - Keyboard Works w/ Ana-Marija Markovina on a Bösendorfer Imperial piano on 26 discs (all 70+ minutes each) - just getting started today - will report back in a month!   :o :laugh: Dave

P.S. Same model piano used below but not likely the exact one - :)

Keen to hear your reaction.

pi2000

EigenUser

Quote from: karlhenning on February 13, 2015, 07:30:58 AM
You gave me an idea ...

First-Listen Fridays!

"Uncle Morty"
Out of Last Pieces
NY Phil
Lenny

I'm guessing you've heard the Messiaen though, right? A great piece (though it isn't so 'little'!).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Karl Henning

Nielsen
Flute Concerto, FS 119
Julius Baker, fl
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: EigenUser on February 13, 2015, 09:04:56 AM
I'm guessing you've heard the Messiaen though, right? A great piece (though it isn't so 'little'!).

Not this recording, though: does not seem to be in The Box!  And yes, I went to The Box to look for that one, first of all . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Quote from: karlhenning on February 13, 2015, 09:12:13 AM
Not this recording, though: does not seem to be in The Box!  And yes, I went to The Box to look for that one, first of all . . . .
Aw, that's disappointing... It is on Spotify, though.

HIPster

Amarillis
[asin]B000VZN7KE[/asin]
Playing CD 4 right now (French Baroque works - gorgeous).

This 4-disc set is essential - particularly at this price.   ;) :)

Hat tip to Gordo for "forcing" me to purchase this one a few months back.   :laugh:
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays! (Curious to say, quite possibly.)

Fauré
Ballade in F#, Op.19
Robt Casadesus, pf
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

"Papa"
Symphony № 13 in D (H.I/13)
AAM
Hogwood

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA