The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

HIPster

A recording that brings me great joy whenever I listen to it ~
[asin]B00009W3RF[/asin]
;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

jlaurson

Quote from: ritter on March 22, 2015, 11:15:53 AM
I myself have been listening to the Fourth and Sixth (boy, you can tell it's a French orchestra in this one as soon as the oboe comes in!). Very enjoyable...

But this cycle is available much cheaper in the "Kubelik Symphony Edition" (which also includes the Schumann, Dvorak and Mahler cycles)....

Yes, it is -- finally -- included in some box outside of Japan; before that it wasn't even available in full. Still, I don't like those big mish-mash boxes. In fact, I disdain them with some passion, so I prefer the just-Beethoven box, by far. But that's just my little kink.  ;)

Drasko

Linus

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 1 / Songs of a Wayfarer - Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau / Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra / Rafael Kubelik

Sorry, Gustav, I just can't seem to be able to enjoy your music. Will I ever like what you do? I hope so. One day.

*sad violin*

Ken B

John Field
Piano Concertos 2 and 4

Mandryka

Siegbert Rampe plays some music by Peter Philips. I've drawn two musical conclusions today:

1. Siegbert Rampe is an amazing clavichord player - not just on this disc, but also in Froberger. I enjoy the way he plays more than Jaroslav Tüma I think - Rampe has more fantasy, he's more dreamy. 

2. Peter Philips is a major composer of keyboard music, with his own voice - not like Sweelinck and not like Frescobaldi. The polyphony is both complex and distinctive.

This disc by Rampe is a very different way of playing Philips from Anneke Uittenbosch's, who I like at least as much.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on March 22, 2015, 12:57:00 PM
.[asin]B000024F73[/asin]

I like that colourful and sensual way of playing Chambonneres, but lately I've also become really intrigued by Jane Chapman's recording.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

king ubu

today's programme:

[asin]B004HZL9AE[/asin]
[asin]B000Q6ZVU2[/asin]
[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]
[asin]B003064CYQ[/asin]
discs 3 & 4 of teh Haydn box
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2015, 01:33:52 PM
I like that colourful and sensual way of playing Chambonneres, but lately I've also become really intrigued by Jane Chapman's recording.

Unfortunately Jane Chapman´s recording seems largely unavailable.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2015, 01:13:19 PM
Siegbert Rampe plays some music by Peter Philips. I've drawn two musical conclusions today:

1. Siegbert Rampe is an amazing clavichord player - not just on this disc, but also in Froberger. I enjoy the way he plays more than Jaroslav Tüma I think - Rampe has more fantasy, he's more dreamy. 

2. Peter Philips is a major composer of keyboard music, with his own voice - not like Sweelinck and not like Frescobaldi. The polyphony is both complex and distinctive.

This disc by Rampe is a very different way of playing Philips from Anneke Uittenbosch's, who I like at least as much.

I have not explored Philips that much - he hasn´t really caught me. I own a CD with Paul Nicholson and of course the Elisabeth Farr CD, so I can not comment on Rampe, Tuma or Uittenbosch. Horever the latter might be interesting - her Sweelinck is indeed distinctive.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2015, 01:33:52 PM

Don't know Chapman. Of what I have I much prefer Sempe to Baumont, who to me sounds bit dry and monotone. I also have Francoise Lengelle disc but have hardly listened to it yet.

[asin]B0030BYU5W[/asin]

prémont

Quote from: Drasko on March 22, 2015, 02:11:48 PM
Don't know Chapman. Of what I have I much prefer Sempe to Baumont, who to me sounds bit dry and monotone. I also have Francoise Lengelle disc but have hardly listened to it yet.

[asin]B0030BYU5W[/asin]

I suppose you also know Sempe´s Louis Couperin CD:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Louis-Couperin-1626-1661-Pieces-de-Clavecin/hnum/3028706
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Drasko

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 22, 2015, 02:20:22 PM
I suppose you also know Sempe´s Louis Couperin CD:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Louis-Couperin-1626-1661-Pieces-de-Clavecin/hnum/3028706

I know of it but I haven't heard it.

For Louis I have the Leonhardt above, the Leonhardt on Alpha, the Leonhardt on Philips (letter two CDs just partially devoted to Louis Couperin) and relatively recent Rousset on Aparte. All excellent.

San Antone

Ensemble Clement Janequin, an excellent French group specializing in music from the Renaissance.  This recording is of motets by Claudin de Sermisy (c. 1490 – 13 October 1562) a French composer of the Renaissance.  Along with Clément Janequin he was one of the most renowned composers of French chansons in the early 16th century; in addition he was a significant composer of sacred music. His music was both influential on, and influenced by, contemporary Italian styles.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

NJ Joe

This astonishing disc, the only one I own of works by Boulez, in anticipation of the Complete Works box I ordered yesterday:

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Karl Henning

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 22, 2015, 04:44:24 PM
This astonishing disc, the only one I own of works by Boulez, in anticipation of the Complete Works box I ordered yesterday:

May still be my favorite disc of his work.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

For the afternoon and Monday morning - Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 22, 2015, 04:44:24 PM

I need to give this recording a spin as it's been years since I've heard it.