What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artem

Quote from: ritter on March 23, 2015, 01:38:56 PM
The post-WW2 festival continues...

Earlier today:

Harrison Birtwistle: Earth dances - The Cleveand Orchestra, Christoph von Dohnányi (cond.)

Now:

Cristóbal Halffter: Variaciones sobre la resonancia de un grito ("Variations on the resonance of a scream") - Orquesta de la Comunidad de Madrid, José Ramón Encinar (cond.), Gregorio García Karman (live electronics)

What are your thoughts on those CDs?

Artem

I had a day off from work today because of the Nauryz holiday and took some time to relisten to a few CDs.

Bach and lute CDs are wonderful. Requiem is a bit uneven composition.

[asin]B00GTX9WWY[/asin][asin]B00OPHG60M[/asin]

Mirror Image

Now:

Absolutely scintillating performance from Bernstein/NY Philharmonic. It's time for a Mahler-a-thon. 8) I'm still waiting on the Mahler Bernstein DG set from Amazon UK.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Brahms: String Quintet No.1 - Hagen Quartett/Gérard Caussé

[asin]B0000012YW[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

San Antone

Debussy: Le Martyre De Saint
Isabelle Huppert, Sophie Marin-Degor, Kate Aldrich, Christine Knorren, Choer de Radio France
Orchestre National de France
Conductor: Daniele Gatti

[asin]B006WQAXBW[/asin]

This French recording is a very good performance of this fine work.

Sergeant Rock

Duruflé Requiem, Ledger conducting, Janet Baker, mezzo

https://www.youtube.com/v/TneUTtCAJlE

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Todd

[asin]B00TAJ730W[/asin]

My exposure to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck's music has been uniformly positive, and the organ pieces I've heard have been of Buxtehude quality, so I bought this set with high hopes.  I started in with disc three, which uses the oldest organ in the set (early-to-mid 16th Century), and just everything about it is top notch.  Very fine playing, a wonderful sounding instrument, and essentially perfect sound.  Only the English translation is sub-par, but I can quite easily live with that.  The box also includes an Aeolus sampler disc.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 7. This is still one of Mahler's strangest symphonies, yet, for me, it's also one of his best. Absolutely ingenious and love his orchestration.

Pat B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 23, 2015, 06:52:20 PM
Listening to Symphony No. 7. This is still one of Mahler's strangest symphonies, yet, for me, it's also one of his best. Absolutely ingenious and love his orchestration.

7 took me the longest to get into, but now it's one of my favorites, along with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pat B on March 23, 2015, 07:00:33 PM
7 took me the longest to get into, but now it's one of my favorites, along with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9. ;)

8) The 8th is my least favorite of the whole cycle, but there are some redeeming qualities about it. I just love that first movement. The 7th resonated with me rather early. There's just something otherworldly about it. I think a lot of it has to with those Nachtmusik movements that are interspersed between the other movements. This gives the whole symphony this earthy, yet ethereal sound-world.

Mirror Image

Okay, so much for a Mahler-a-thon. :)

Now:

Listening to Delius' Summer Night on the River. A gorgeous work full of shimmering melodies and harmonies.

Moonfish

Haydn: Symphonies Nos 1-4            Vienna State Opera O/Goberman

Vivid and electric performances!

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Now:

This is really a fantastic recording and would make an excellent introduction for someone new to Delius' music. Listening to 3 Small Tone Poems for Orchestra: I. Summer Evening, II. Winter Night 'Sleigh Ride,' III. Spring Morning. This is the only performance that I know of where all three movements of 3 Small Tone Poems for Orchestra are performed together as they should be.

Moonfish

Buxtehude: Cantatas BuxWV 36, 111, 76/2, 107, 59, 6            Ricercar Consort

1. Herr Ich Lasse Dich Nicht
2. Dialogus Inter Christum Et Fidelem Animam
3. Nichts Soll Uns Scheiden Von Der Liebe Gottes
4. Wenn Ich, Herr Jesu, Habe Dich
5. Jesu, Meine Freud Und Lust
6. Ich Halte Es Dafur
7. Ich Suchte Des Nachts

cd 1 from
[asin] B000PFUBBS[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Florestan

https://www.youtube.com/v/tza_CF-Xf7o

Jose Ferrer Beltran (1745 - 1815) - Harpsichord Sonatas

Jose Luis Gonzalez Uriol, harpsichord

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

San Antone

Florestan

Harry sang the praises of this one --- and he was right.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on March 24, 2015, 02:08:09 AM

Harry sang the praises of this one --- and he was right.

Wonderful that you got this music to listen. I am happy you picked it up.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."