What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

Quote from: Harry's on March 24, 2015, 02:28:57 AM
Wonderful that you got this music to listen. I am happy you picked it up.

Actually, it´s a major discovery. This is music  that really made my day. Thanks a lot for pointing it out.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 23, 2015, 01:10:50 PM
The virginal player especially - Emer Buckley - is really special I think.

Apropos Peter Philips in another thread. Emer Buckley made a recording (Harmonia Mundi Fr. 1988) of some Works by Philips. I do not know it, but if she is that special, it might perhaps be interesting to find it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jaakko Keskinen

Schumann - Scenes from Goethe's Faust.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Sampling various discs from this boxset

Looks like days of pleasure await me!  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

San Antone

Florestan

Wakefield

Purchased yesterday, first listen today:

Haydn: Symphonies 99-104
London Classical Players
Roger Norrington
Erato Disques, Veritas x 2

[asin]B003BKF6DW[/asin]

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

San Antone

Palol: Joys Amors Et Chants

For those who enjoy Medieval music, troubadours and troveres, especially, this is a fascinating recording.

From the notes,
Berenguer de Palol was born in Catalonia, the land of the Count of Rossillon. We know very
little about his life; the only date regarding his life that can be established with certainty is 1164,
the year in which his patron Jaufre III died. Berenguer s artistic activity has reached us through
a series of passionate compositions of rare musical and poetic beauty. His poetry shows an
evident research of the supreme love, or joy; a way paved with suffering for love joined to the
cult of feminine beauty. The main subject is woman, seen partly as an abstract goal in the
search of love, and partly real.

Mirror Image

Now:

Continuing with this recording from last night. Finished American Rhapsody just now and I'm now listening to the miniature masterpiece The Walk to the Paradise Garden. Great performances from Lloyd-Jones/RSNO.

Karl Henning

It had been a while . . . just now I listened again to Out in the Sun.  I think it may be a keeper.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 24, 2015, 07:21:57 AM
It had been a while . . . just now I listened again to Out in the Sun.  I think it may be a keeper.

It certainly is, Karl. One of my favorite works from your pen. :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

A bit of Opus 10 listening

L.v. BeethovenPiano Sonatas,
opp. 10 1-3, 53 ("Waldstein"), 52, 57 ("Appassionata")
Paavali Jumppanen
Ondine

German link - UK link

side by side with

L.v. BeethovenThe Piano Sonatas
Maurizio Pollini
DG

German link - UK link

I love Jumppanen's op.10/3 especially! And therein especially the first and third movement. Fresh, youthful, impetuous, gripping, steady.

Pollini is a much gentler beast; recorded at a slightly greater distant... just a hint of air around him...  both very nicely done.

NikF

Schoenberg: Chamber Symphony No. 1 - Berlin Phil/Rattle.

[asin]B00369K1GA[/asin]

I never forget a face. But I always forget a name. And so my apologies to whoever it was who recommended this piece and recording to me.
And on first (proper) listen this is far less inaccessible to me than I initially believed it to be. I found it quite emotional in places - and I don't know why I'm surprised by that. However I'm sure further listening will reveal even more.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on March 24, 2015, 08:34:45 AM
Schoenberg: Chamber Symphony No. 1 - Berlin Phil/Rattle.

[asin]B00369K1GA[/asin]

I never forget a face. But I always forget a name. And so my apologies to whoever it was who recommended this piece and recording to me.
And on first (proper) listen this is far less inaccessible to me than I initially believed it to be. I found it quite emotional in places - and I don't know why I'm surprised by that. However I'm sure further listening will reveal even more.

Yeah, Schoenberg's Chamber Symphony No. 1 is a cool work and that's a great recording, too. Love Rattle in Schoenberg.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 24, 2015, 03:13:16 AM
Apropos Peter Philips in another thread. Emer Buckley made a recording (Harmonia Mundi Fr. 1988) of some Works by Philips. I do not know it, but if she is that special, it might perhaps be interesting to find it.

I know about that Cd but I can't find it, except at 100€, which is out of the question.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Summa. Gorgeous music.

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."