What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 11, 2015, 08:26:01 PM

Beethoven's Septet - Members Of The Vienna Octet

This is unjustly overshadowed by Beethoven's other chamber works. Terrific music!

The new erato

Quote from: listener on October 11, 2015, 06:08:58 PM

WALTON: Belshazzar's Feast, Improvisations on a Theme of Benjamin Britten

Voluptuos disc!

Que

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 11, 2015, 12:28:28 PM

[...] like most of Zelenka's Masses - buoyant and life-affirming, whatever its intended purpose and occasion was.

I love the Ensemble Inegal under Adam Viktora! :) Note to myself: MORE.... :D

Listening this morning, partly because it was recently mentioned and I wanted to refresh my memory:

[asin]B00J3FI01E[/asin]
Q

Orpheus

Listening to Bruch's first Symphony!  :D

Orpheus

Dmitry  ;)

No.1 !  :D

SimonNZ

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on October 11, 2015, 09:43:53 PM
This is unjustly overshadowed by Beethoven's other chamber works. Terrific music!

On another thread here I read that it was Beethoven's most popular work in his own lifetime. So over the past few days I've been trying to hear what they were hearing.

playing now:

Julian Anderson's Khorovod - Oliver Knussen, cond.

John Chowning's Stria etc

Jonathan Harvey's Mortuos Plango, Vivos Voco

Orpheus

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 12, 2015, 01:33:52 AM
On another thread here I read that it was Beethoven's most popular work in his own lifetime. So over the past few days I've been trying to hear what they were hearing.

It might be that it was written for a non-standard chamber ensemble which hold connotations for background entertainment music (night music, divertimenti etc.) but with complex musical content suitable for a chamber recital/concert. I really love works like this for mixed chamber ensemble in the 19th century. Spohr and Onslow wrote some masterpieces, and Farrenc composed a ripper of a nonet....as well as trio for flute cello and piano which has to be one of my favourite chamber works from the 19th century along with Beethoven's septet.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

80s and 90s music:
Voodoo Child
Veil
Inguz
The Heart's Ear
Philtre
Diabolical Birds

Awesome ensemble music, huge variety within and between each work. Imaginative and captivating music performed with passion and gusto!

Orpheus

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Maestro267

Poulenc: Concerto for organ, strings and timpani in G minor
Simon Preston (organ)/London SO/Previn

Elgar/Payne: Symphony No. 3
Bournemouth SO/Daniel

Bax: Symphony No. 4
Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Lloyd-Jones

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Richter from the Decca Box : Brahms Piano Sonatas 1 & 2 ('86 recordings)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Chamber music by Beat Furrer

Beginning with Aer, to be followed by ....cold and calm and moving and then I'll probably go to sleep.

Ken B

North Star

After learning yesterday how the symphony was based on material from the plans for an oratorio Marjatta based on the last book of Kalevala, an allegory for the Christianisation of Finland. (Marjatta is impregnated by a lingonberry she eats, Väinämöinen condemns the son born out of wedlock to death, but the child speaks and chastises Väinämöinen. After the child is crowned King of Karelia, Väinämöinen leaves and bequeaths his songs and kantele to the people). The program (advent - nativity - death - resurrection) can still be seen in the work. Sibelius also quotes his own hymn Soi kiitokseski Luojan (In praise of our Creator) in the third movement.

Sibelius
Symphony no. 3
Sinfonia Lahti
Vänskä

[asin]B000KC849W[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on October 12, 2015, 06:48:33 AM
After learning yesterday how the symphony was based on material from the plans for an oratorio Marjatta based on the last book of Kalevala, an allegory for the Christianisation of Finland. (Marjatta is impregnated by a lingonberry she eats, Väinämöinen condemns the son born out of wedlock to death, but the child speaks and chastises Väinämöinen. After the child is crowned King of Karelia, Väinämöinen leaves and bequeaths his songs and kantele to the people). The program (advent - nativity - death - resurrection) can still be seen in the work. Sibelius also quotes his own hymn Soi kiitokseski Luojan (In praise of our Creator) in the third movement.

Sibelius
Symphony no. 3
Sinfonia Lahti
Vänskä

[asin]B000KC849W[/asin]

Fascinating, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya