What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Mozart, WA - Violin Concertos w/ Johannes Leertouwer and his PI group, La Borea Amsterdam - he performs on a 1691 Amati violin w/ gut strings; thick booklet w/ beginning notes by him, and then more extended discussion on the works by Clemens Kemme - excellent recorded sound (performances from 2005/6) - recommended by Andrei, I believe in Gurn's classical thread.  Dave :)

Brian

Maiden Listen Monday continues my marathon celebration of Universal Music's arrival on Naxos Music Library:

Finding this pretty boring, honestly.

San Antone

At last, Lukas Foss : Complete Symphonies

Released last month by the  Boston Modern Orchestra Project, this 2 disc recording collects all of the symphonies by Lukas Foss.  Even if these were not good performances - they  are - this would be a valuable recording since Foss's symphonies have been unjustly neglected.

North Star

Maiden-Listen Monday
Jean Cras
String Trio
Quiintet for harp, flute, violin, alto & cello
Catherine Michel (hp), Thomas Prévost (ft), Graffin (vn), Da Silva (va), Demarquette (vc)

https://www.youtube.com/v/QN7bkwwA8TM

https://www.youtube.com/v/Q-ATDBgDbLE
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2015, 06:28:12 AM
Calls for a big trombone section I've heard.

I do not begrudge you the low-hanging fruit  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on October 12, 2015, 08:29:41 AM

Released last month by the  Boston Modern Orchestra Project, this 2 disc recording collects all of the symphonies by Lukas Foss.  Even if these were not good performances - they  are - this would be a valuable recording since Foss's symphonies have been unjustly neglected.

Local band, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Schumann and Bolcom.

Quote from: sanantonio on October 12, 2015, 08:29:41 AM

How are you liking that? Definitely on my radar. From the clips it sounded like the symphonies cover a LOT of stylistic ground.

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2015, 09:08:59 AM
How are you liking that [Foss Symphonies]? Definitely on my radar. From the clips it sounded like the symphonies cover a LOT of stylistic ground.

There is a large gap between the first two (1944, 1955) and the last two (1991, 1995).  The first is Coplanesque whereas the others, esp. 3 and 4, are stylistically more advanced.  The second is based on Bach, according to the notes, but it is not obvious.

Performances are good.

Todd

Rachel Podger's take on the Rosary Sonatas.  Splendidly played.  Ms Podger's fellow musicians are more prominent than in a good number of other recordings.  There is admirable flexibility in terms of tempo and dynamics, imparting a sometimes casual or free feel to the proceedings.  The Resurrection Mystery has a more prominent organ than normal – I'm guessing it's not a dainty one – and sounds beautiful and surprisingly joyful.  SOTA sonics.  Superb in every way, but I must say among the four complete sets I've devoured in the last month or so, I prefer the more zealous, energetic take by Daskalakis and crew.  To have so many outstanding choices at one's disposal is a most pleasant position to be in.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Ideas Of Order. Great stuff. Has elements of Stravinsky, but Berger is his own man.

The new erato

Listening to this:

[asin]B004UMGSGE[/asin]

Just as good as I remembered.

king ubu

dug this up again, it's been on the pile ever since I caught that crazy Agnès Varda film (good write-up here):

[asin]B00450AJSY[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

NikF

Prokofiev: Five Piano Concertos - Beroff/Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra.

[asin]B000002S09[/asin]

I'm midway through relistening to the Bernstein/NYP/Mahler box and have detoured via this set. I've the first Krainev cycle with the Moscow Philharmonic which I like, however I find these are more...lyrical(?) performances.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 12, 2015, 11:32:04 AM
Prokofiev: Five Piano Concertos - Beroff/Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra.

I'm midway through relistening to the Bernstein/NYP/Mahler box and have detoured via this set. I've the first Krainev cycle with the Moscow Philharmonic which I like, however I find these are more...lyrical(?) performances.
I'm not too familiar with other performances (apart from Argerich's no. 3) but I like the Béroff/Masur set very much.

Thread duty
Schumann
Nachtlied, Op. 108
The Monteverdi Choir
Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique
John Eliot Gardiner

Maiden-listen Monday

Schumann
Liederkreis, Op. 39
Fünf Lieder, Op. 40
Gerhaher & Huber

So far this set has been nothing but beautiful singing (wholly in touch with the texts, too) and accompaniment of some of the most central lieder repertoire.

[asin]B00DYFCZ5Q[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: Que on October 11, 2015, 10:14:53 PM

Listening this morning, partly because it was recently mentioned and I wanted to refresh my memory:

[asin]B00J3FI01E[/asin]
Q

I mentioned it recently as it was a recent purchase and a subsequent first listen. I struggled with the musical language a bit but will come back to it again soon.

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on October 12, 2015, 06:48:33 AM
After learning yesterday how the symphony was based on material from the plans for an oratorio Marjatta based on the last book of Kalevala, an allegory for the Christianisation of Finland. (Marjatta is impregnated by a lingonberry she eats, Väinämöinen condemns the son born out of wedlock to death, but the child speaks and chastises Väinämöinen. After the child is crowned King of Karelia, Väinämöinen leaves and bequeaths his songs and kantele to the people). The program (advent - nativity - death - resurrection) can still be seen in the work. Sibelius also quotes his own hymn Soi kiitokseski Luojan (In praise of our Creator) in the third movement.

Sibelius
Symphony no. 3
Sinfonia Lahti
Vänskä

[asin]B000KC849W[/asin]

Thank you for the information; great to have context like that.

aligreto

Mozart: Clarinet Quintet - Boston Symphony String Quartet / Benny Goodman....

Todd

HIP, Shmip.  Bruno Walter conducts proper Beethoven.  Disc 2, Symphonies 2 & 4.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Not sure I've seen this around GMG, but it's the Hagen Quartet, so it must be good?