What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

The Warner Andsnes set landed today. Decided to start in media res with a CD I've never heard (Rachmaninov) and a CD I have heard (Schubert).

CDs 23 and 24 of

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

VonStupp

Frederick Delius
Summer Evening
Dance Rhapsody 2
On Hearing The First Cuckoo In Spring
Summer Night On The River
A Song Before Sunrise
Fennimore And Gerda: Intermezzo
Irmelin: Prelude
Songs of Sunset

Maureen Forrester, contralto
John Cameron, baritone

Beecham Choral Society
Royal PO - Thomas Beecham

For tonight and tomorrow:
I've been very much looking forward to the 2nd part of Beecham's stereo Delius.

I have long cherished Janet Baker and John Shirley-Quirk in Songs of Sunset. I am interested to hear another.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Poot: Symphonies 4-7

These symphonies have been a sort of nice discovery lately and they're not too long. The first two feature good vibes and some neoclassical gestures + American rhythms, but the next five are gritty, menacing, dynamic, very engaging indeed. Some are better recorded than others (in the 5th the orchestra sounds a tad distant).

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

AnotherSpin

Op. 106 (Andrew Willis)

Que

Harry

Lute Music of the Netherlands.
See details back cover.

Anthony Bailes, Lute.
Recorded: St. Marien Kirche Schönemoor, Germany, 2011.

Wonderfully done! Composers not often recorded, like Vallet, Huwet and especially van den Hove. In the hands of Bailes one savours the articulation and subtle treatment of dynamics, which allows his mastery to shine in all its glory, and above all it shows the cultural richness of the Netherlands at that time. I do not know which Lute he is using, but it's a clear and clean instrument. Recording is more than excellent. A good start in the morning.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."